Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

$2,000 weight loss budget - help me spend it!

Fellow WWs, help me blow 2 grand on upgrading my Top Fuel. All options considered, except tires. I've already been exporing options there to suit my needs.

Here are my specific needs:

* I do use the 22x34 gear surprisingly often, so I need something that low (0.67 gear ratio).
    * I need at least a 3.65 gear ratio on the high end.
    * I will change to 180mm cranks. I'm 6'3" (1.9m) tall and love the 180's on my road bikes.
    * pedals must be egg beater compatible since I have them on all my other bikes.
    * wheel changes must have weight added to they are tubless ready.
    * any frame change must be dual suspension.
    * me + gear is about 85kg.
    * $2,000ish budget

The bike and me

Build less tires. Items in blue color are actual measured weights. Everything else is a guess. Total is direct measurement and, yes, it came out to exactly 10000g.

No Stranger to danger....
    2K ? on upgrading that bike, are you serious Dozer?

BUY A NEW BIKE MATE, imo it is pure madness spending 2k to upgrade that Trek.

cheers, and sorry if i sound harsh, but really.......
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    You don't have any tyres in your list.

Assuming they're not included in the 1635g for the wheelset, your best place to save weight would be lighter wheels and tyres. A set of Stans Alpines on DT hubs with some Schwalbe tyres would save best part of a lb I reckon.

I have a set of Alpines on American Classic hubs and they're about 1300g - the DT hubs are lighter I think.

Are those forks really 1466g? That's fairly light already but you could opt for some Magura Durin Sl's and save 100g or so.

Edit:- just seen that you don't want to change your tyres - any reason?

mtbr member
    Tone's: if i could find a better bike for $2k I'd do it. I'm very happy with the performance of the bike, but just want less weight. Not really to go faster, but because upgrading is a fun hobby for me.

roaringboy:
    - I haven't weighed the fork, but that estimate came from weightweenies.starbike.com listings, so it should be close.
    - I'm current experimenting with tires. My goals are flat/cut resistance and traction. I just put on a set of Conti X-King 2.4's but have yet to try them. I'm mostly interested in other weight loss options on the bike.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    There's nothing wrong with spending money on lighter components for that bike (especially if you can use them on a future build).

If you need new cranks and your BB is BSA 68mm shell then get some of the speci s-works cranks in 180mm along with the lightning triple spider. You'll need a bottom bracket like the e-13 or zipp ones. This will get you new cranks and save at least 250g. Cost will be around $450 if you re-use your rings.

A KMC x10SL chain will save 50g for $40 and improve shifting. They work exceedingly well with 9 speed cassette and rings.

A 9-speed xtr cassette in 11-34t weighs 244g saving you 150g for about $150.

A carbon cycles 31.6mm carbon seatpost will save you around 80g for $80.

So for a bit over $700 you could shed more than 500g.

Everything else you've got is fairly light already.

There are several 100-110mm stems that weight less than 110g (my 90mm Syntace f109 weighs 112g), and there are some much lighter carbon bars (eg. 80-100g) but I haven't used any of these. I like a good strong bar / stem combination.

No Stranger to danger....
    Quote Originally Posted by BDozer View Post
    Tone's: if i could find a better bike for $2k I'd do it. I'm very happy with the performance of the bike, but just want less weight. Not really to go faster, but because upgrading is a fun hobby for me.

roaringboy:
    - I haven't weighed the fork, but that estimate came from weightweenies.starbike.com listings, so it should be close.
    - I'm current experimenting with tires. My goals are flat/cut resistance and traction. I just put on a set of Conti X-King 2.4's but have yet to try them. I'm mostly interested in other weight loss options on the bike.
    Fair enough mate, i wasnt trying to knock your bike either, i realise it was top of the range in 08 and its still a nice bike, but i was just thinking you could put another 1k on the 2k and think about a lighter carbon bike or just a newer alloy and come out in front cause bikes have got a bit cheaper and lighter in the last 4 years.

But if you love the one you have i understand your wanting to put more into it.
    cheers mate
    Dont ever let the truth get in the way of a funny story....

mtbr member
    Tone is probably too harsh. If you have $2K, I can spend it:

-Easton EC90 bar, 139g
    -Ritchey WCS carbon matrix stem, 90mm is 112g, 105 is 130g-ish?
    -Sram XX cassette is 235g
    -Full carbon saddle is 117g
    -moving to 1x10 will add ~230g for 32T ring, but you can drop frt derailleur, frt shifter and chainrings
    -kill the bar ends

Rough, drunken addition yields cost of ~$650 and loss of ~1070g. (I have to make a lot of guesstimates on chainring weight, for example.)

mtbr member
    Cheap, light stuff.
    Blackburn Slick cage. 23 grams. 12 dollars.
    Syntace stem. 100ish grams. $55.
    Race Face Next Sl bar. 110ish grams. $50-60.

Not cheap but worth considering -
    Full XX1. $1200ish.

but I'd wouldn't bother. I'd put your money in the bank. Ride your bike until you break something and then upgrade it.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    ...bikes have got a bit cheaper and lighter in the last 4 years...
    Bikes have got cheaper and lighter but it's pretty hard to find a FS bike for $2000 or even $3000 that is 10kg or less, particularly if the frame is a large or XL.

I haven't even seen any $5000 FS XC bikes that are genuinely sub 10kg ready to ride.

If you want a 11 or 12kg bike, its cheaper to walk into a shop and buy one.

If you want a sub 10kg FS bike (particularly 3x9 or 3x10) you're going to have to put it together yourself, carefully selecting each of the parts. Going into a shop and slapping down even $5000 will not get you something truly trick and suited to your particular needs.

This is the weight weenies forum, there are no truly WW bikes in here that are just the result of walking into a shop and handing over the cash for an off-the-shelf bike.

mtbr member
    Thanks for all the input guys! A local buddy just dropped ~$3k on a new Scott 26'er and it weighs a few grams more than mine with much lighter tires. I wish there were lighter off the shelf options for $3k!

I love the idea of a 1x10 or 1x11, but the mountains here go straight up so I need that granny gear, especially for long rides. We also typical ride to the trails, so I need a bigger road gear also. I just can't get the width of gear ratio, even using the 10-42 of the new SRAM 1x11. On my road bike it would work brilliantly, but not on the mt bike.

I dropped off the bar ends for a while, but my bum shoulder screams at me on long rides. Having another hand position really helps.

Are there any really light wheels that are reliable enough for daily use? I haven't seen many sub 1300g options.

Any pedal options short of dropping $400 on egg beater 11's?

mtbr member
    $355 here. Jenson will match.

Crank Bros Egg Beater 11 Pedals - Excel Sports

mtbr member
    I'd still personally go for new wheels - you could shed a lb of rotational weight which will be far more noticeable than bars, stem, seat post etc.

Plays with tools
    I'm not sure how much weight it would save, but have you thought about switching to 10spd on that budget? If you shop around you could get a full XTR or XX group for 2k

The other thing that stands out to me is your cockpit. Basic pieces that are ripe for the picking. Ritchey makes a bar similar to your big sweep in a WCS carbon version. Mate it to a WCS stem and post and your saving some notable weight.

mtbr member
    Upgrading your rims, tires, skewers and cassette would do good. Then, there are lighter brake rotor options from Shimano like ice tech splined rotors -- I believe they save weight over your model.

Your fork seems light enough - it looks like a Lefty would only be about 100g lighter.

If you can't switch to the xx1 system or even a XX 2x10 I don't see you saving significant weight on the drivetrain. Are you sure about the gear range for XX1 not being wide enough? I think when I compared the gears between xx1, my 3x9 and and a 2x10, I found a large spread.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    pair of 2013 Mavic Crossmax ST wheels IMO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chopsuk View Post
    pair of 2013 Mavic Crossmax ST wheels IMO.
    Only 5g lighter than my current, unless I'm looking at the wrong info.

Mavic Crossmax ST Wheels 2013 > Components > Wheel Goods > Mountain Bike Wheels | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by roaringboy View Post
    I'd still personally go for new wheels - you could shed a lb of rotational weight which will be far more noticeable than bars, stem, seat post etc.
    I agree.

Big question is what wheels...lots of options!
    Last edited by BDozer; 01-12-2013 at 06:49 PM.

insert sarcasm here
    Quote Originally Posted by Tone's View Post
    2K ? on upgrading that bike, are you serious Dozer?

BUY A NEW BIKE MATE, imo it is pure madness spending 2k to upgrade that Trek.

cheers, and sorry if i sound harsh, but really.......
    As blunt as he may seem, Tone's is spot on here. OP, if you have that frame down to 22lbs, your are MUCH better suited to spend the entire $2k on a new FS frame. It will cost you most of that $2k to drop 1lb. You will recognize very little difference between a 22lb and a 21lb bike. Meanwhile, with a 2012 or newer frame, you have a very good chance at seeing a drastic difference due to updated technology, and are more likely to get faster.

My two cents.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by gbug View Post
    As blunt as he may seem, Tone's is spot on here. ...your are MUCH better suited to spend the entire $2k on a new FS frame.

My two cents.
    All opinions are welcome and appreciated! What frames would you suggest?

I've considered going all in and double or trippling the budget and trying to get the whole rig below 20lbs. I'm still debating that move. For now, I'm thinking going for key parts that can swap over and I can use for some time - cranks, wheels, cockpit, etc.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BDozer View Post
    I agree.

Big question is what wheels...lots of options!
    Set of Alpines on DT hubs. Or as an alternative American Classic hubs would be cheaper but heavier.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by gbug View Post
    As blunt as he may seem, Tone's is spot on here. OP, if you have that frame down to 22lbs, your are MUCH better suited to spend the entire $2k on a new FS frame. It will cost you most of that $2k to drop 1lb. You will recognize very little difference between a 22lb and a 21lb bike. Meanwhile, with a 2012 or newer frame, you have a very good chance at seeing a drastic difference due to updated technology, and are more likely to get faster.

My two cents.
    This!

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    I would look for a 2009 - 2011 Scott Spark RC frame ( lots of these around ) Mine is 3.95 lbs.
    Everything on you're bike should transfer over with the exception of the seatpost. Ditch the boat anchor Ritchey seat topper = 131 grams for a Tune seat topper = 73 grams.
    Build some affordable light weight wheels using AM Classic hubs or the new Circus Monkey HDW3 hubs, Sapim CX-Ray spokes, Light-bikes carbon rims.
    All this should still be well under $2000.00 leaving you money to replace seat, pedals, etc.
    I don't like reccomending saddles, as it seems everyone likes/fits something different, but if you know someone with a Tune speedneedle that you can try they are light and hold up well. = 89 grams.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ,000 weight loss budget - help me spend it!-img_1194_1_1.jpg  

,000 weight loss budget - help me spend it!-img_0215_1.jpg  

,000 weight loss budget - help me spend it!-img_3022_1.jpg  

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I think 2k is too much money to drop on a bike lightening project. I would sell your bike and buy a new one because the new bike very well may perform much better. I would get a 29er at your size.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    I thought they were 1590, not sure if you run thru axle or QR?
    Crossmax ST - wheels - mountain bike - Mavic

Still, although that's only 45g, I don't know if your wheels are UST compatible; I find I don't need sealant with Crossmax & LUST (lightweight UST) tyres, which'll save you a bit more.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Also, I thought that 1590g weight was quoted including skewer, which'll save another 90 odd grams.. but I may be wrong here.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast