meh....

~RR~ 7 Drainages, NF Teanaway 07-13-08

a ride destined to never be repeated.

It goes like this:

CCW loop around Esmeralda Peaks, Gallagher Lake and a very nice descent down De Roux Creek. A good ride. 3 Drainages so far.

Now, UP Iron Peak Tr. Yes, up. It's not so bad, more ridable than not. 2000' vertical, little over 1 hour to the pass below Iron Peak. It's next to Eldorado Creek, so 4 Drainages so far.

Next is Beverly Creek, down. If you ever want to go down Beverly, you'll either have to go up Beverly, or up Iron Peak Tr. Go up Beverly. Beverly down is good. Beverly up is good too. Mostly ridable with some pushing just below the Fourth Creek Tr. Going down gives some nice techy trail up high, nice flow later on. 5 Drainages so far.

Now comes Bean Creek. It's a push. That's it. All the way up. 2100'. Don't bother trying to ride anything. Any ridable section is so short it's not worth it. Oh yeah, this ride won't be repeated, so you won't have to worry about it anyway. 6 Drainages so far.

I had other plans in mind, but my late start and it being Sunday I didn't want to be out that late, like not much past 6 pm if I could help it. With this in mind I opted to go down Standup Creek. Oi. Standup Creek would not be on the WTA Favored Trails list if the list existed. It's steep. It's loose. It's brushy. It's a steep techy trail if you want it. It's ridable but for a few short sections. Pretty primitive and not much work being done on it. For the most part, just say no to Standup Creek. This makes 7 Drainages.

All in all the ride was backwards. Can't really say that for Standup either way, because it's not really a good ride either way, although given the choice, go down. Iron Peak Tr. and Bean Creek Tr. go better downhill. Beverly Creek goes good downhill (a little pushing going up), but I'm not sure it's worth going up Iron Peak Tr. just to go down Beverly Creek. Not much could make going up Bean Creek Tr. good.

Although if you want a little hike-a-bike training ride, Bean is good for that. At least go all the way to Stafford Creek and go down that afterwards.

Spray: 9 hours, 38 miles (probably 12-14 miles of dbltrack), over 8100' vertical.

Monte
    PS: The Teanaway is melted out. Go for anything up high you want to. I saw a hikers report from the Entiat, it's melted out too as far as I can tell.

mtbr member

Nice

Five Wheels for difficulty? It sounds like six wheels. What kind of shoes do you wear Monte for these hike-a bike? I dont really like to hike that much pushing a bike but my bike shoes really dont cut it for hike-a-bike. Rich and I did Miller Peak today and really thats probably about my limit for hike-a-bike. Did the word $*******+ ever enter your mind? I think there are two or three guys here that would join you on one of your expeditions you just need to get it out there.

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by borregokid
    Five Wheels for difficulty? It sounds like six wheels. What kind of shoes do you wear Monte for these hike-a bike? I dont really like to hike that much pushing a bike but my bike shoes really dont cut it for hike-a-bike. Rich and I did Miller Peak today and really thats probably about my limit for hike-a-bike. Did the word $*******+ ever enter your mind?
    Shoes? They're out in the truck, but they look like a 3 year old version of these at jensonusa. Just a low top lace up Shimano. Same sole pattern. They work well, done a lot of hiking in them as you've seen.

$*******+? I don't know. I sort of get in the groove and just deal with it. On this ride if $*******+ really came up there was a bailout at any point in the ride, all going down from where I was at any given moment. Except for when I was in the So. Fork Fortune Creek, that's the only place I couldn't have just turned around and gone down. But that was early in the morning, so there was no problem there. And it's a good loop.

I think there are two or three guys here that would join you on one of your expeditions you just need to get it out there.
    Really? They're being pretty quiet about it. Plus I haven't been very good about ride planning. You won't see me posting on any ride calendar anywhere more than a day ahead at best. If that. If I posted on any calendar in the first place.

Oh yeah, at least 6 Wheels. No way a 5 Wheel. What would make a 7 Wheel Epic? 10,000'? 12,000'? 40 miles? 50 miles? I've done a few 8000'+ rides now and a couple 50 milers, so it has to be a combo of more than 8000' and something close to 50 miles I think. We're not talking about a ride where sh!t happened, those are always epic.

Monte

mtbr member
    May 2004

Pinchflat, Pinchflat......?

You da man....
    Solo at that. We're not worthy! We're not worthy.

Seems to me he was the one saying that would be a better way to do it. Beverly up/Eldorado down is pretty decent. Always wondered what it was like going up though. Doable eh?

Riding Esmeralda Saturday. How was the lake? Hoping for a swim after the jeep road climb. (No snow back there?)

Art keeps telling me about the off the map Jack Creek Trail that the FS does not maintain anymore. Maybe do a loop from 29 pines up Jack Creek to Teanaway Ridge. Left to an out and back on Miller and then down Iron Bear?

Fake it 'til you make it
    Quote Originally Posted by Monte
    a ride destined to never be repeated.
    Yeah, right.

You're killing me, Monte.

Keep up the good work.

And, uhhh, where are the freakin' pictures?!

Nice cap on 2000

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo
    You da man....
    Solo at that. We're not worthy! We're not worthy.

Seems to me he was the one saying that would be a better way to do it. Beverly up/Eldorado down is pretty decent. Always wondered what it was like going up though. Doable eh?

Riding Esmeralda Saturday. How was the lake? Hoping for a swim after the jeep road climb. (No snow back there?)

Art keeps telling me about the off the map Jack Creek Trail that the FS does not maintain anymore. Maybe do a loop from 29 pines up Jack Creek to Teanaway Ridge. Left to an out and back on Miller and then down Iron Bear?
    I sort of remember someone saying that, if it was Pinchflat or not can't remember. Iron Peak Tr. is doable, but not Bean. Iron Peak might be worth it if there was a little more than Beverly on the other side. Or if you just want to make a loop with those 2 trails. It adds a bit of road though.

Can't say about the lake for swimming, but it's clear. No snow around the lake. There is some in the woods coming up Fortune, but you don't have to step in it, the road is mostly melted out. Makes for lots of good running water coming down the hillsides.

I think I see the Jack Creek trail on a TOPO! map, it makes a 4 way at the Iron Creek/Bear Creek junction right? I've seen a sign there, but can't remember what it said. Some fireroad navigation to get to the trail head. Maybe it comes down further if it's supposed to be off the map. The trail head I see is at 4700' or so.

meh....
    Quote Originally Posted by JLantz
    Yeah, right.

You're killing me, Monte.

Keep up the good work.

And, uhhh, where are the freakin' pictures?!

Nice cap on 2000
    The few pictures I took are still in the camera. Patience.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hmmm, according to Art, the Jack Creek trail turns West off the Teanaway Ridge trail (the one that is the South leg of the 4 way at the saddle.) and comes out a ways down the Jack Creek Road above 29 Pines. How far down, I don't know.
    VegKen and I once rode the trail from below the horse camp to Beverly to make it a loop. It's on the old FS maps but no more. Leaves from the meadow just before the camp and runs up and down a lot above the ridge down to Beverly. The horse camp folks keep it open now but re-route around every downed tree it seems instead of just cutting through them. We rode from the CG on West Fork to do the Beverly/Iron loop CCW but if I did that again, I'd park at DeRoux or along the river and ride that trail down to beverly, up Beverly and over Iron and back. Add Esmeralda for a figure 8 day.

Members who have read this thread: 0