mtbr member

Xterra Race - Vashon Island?

Hi All,

I am visiting Washington (from Arizona) this July, and saw online that there is an Xterra Off-Road Triathlon on Vashon Island. The info I could find online was pretty limited...I just want to get an idea of what to expect from the MTB portion - is it all climbing? Smooth singletrack?

I'm also debating shipping my bike up, but am looking for advice on that as well - are there rental options in Vashon for an XL frame mtb? I ride a 2012 Rumblefish Elite, is that too much bike for this type of ride? It looks like it's in the Dockton trail system. Any information you could provide would be extremely helpful.

Thanks!

Mike

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I work a tri shop and when I looked into that race last year I was told it was pretty xc. However the xc moniker in this area can include some technical conditions. That being said I never talked myself into it due to an illogical fear of swimming in open water. Also a bit tough to find rental bikes around here but check with Greg's greenlake cycles.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Dockton trails are rolling and generally in the forest. So some climbing and descents, but nothing very long. Some roots and rocks and maybe a 2/3 of 5 for tech level. It's definitely an XC area, and I've had friends do that Xterra that loved it.

Call around to bike shops for rentals. A hardtail or XC fs should be fine. Good luck!