Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2012

Xanadu trail closure?

A friend of mine and I rode Xanadu this past weekend. We had an interesting encounter with Thunderbird (you may know her as the "turkey lady").
    She said that Xanadu goes through the private property that she is living on and that she and the land owner are done with mountain bikers. Trail closed for one year beginning Jan 1.
    She said that mountain bikers are running snakes over in their shuttle trucks, driving too fast and generally being disrespectful. Also she and the land owner are concerned about the legal ramifications of having a trail like Xanadu through their property.

I called James (Das Rad Haus), he said that he was recently informed of the same thing and is currently working to see if he can find a solution.....

I don't know if there is any further information to be gleaned from anyone on any of this, but being that Xanadu is the regional treasure that it is, please be respectful of Thunderbird (and her eccentricities) as well as the land owner.

mtbr member
    Glad I hit that last year then!

(the trail that is)
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Is she claiming actual sections of trail are on her property, or is it the fire road leading up to the trail head? If it's just the road, I guess I'm surprised to hear she owns the fire road.
    "My riding style - like I'm being chased by a clown." - rscecil007

mtbr member
    Is this that sort of hippy commune looking place place off to the right while you're about halfway up?
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    You do go through a gate onto FS land at the bottom, so I'm skeptical that the road (let alone the trail) goes through private property. Maybe she's grandfathered in....

I can sympathize with the complaints though, it's gotten pretty busy there in the last few years. Sounds like it's the shuttle traffic on the roads, not the bike riding that's the issue. .

mtbr member
    Don't like the sound of this but I'm curious if people are still riding it now (as in late january)...

mtbr member
    I'm surprised people shuttle...it's not as though you don't still have a long climb from the gate. The pedal from parking to the gate is rather trivial.

She should just post a save the snakes - no shuttling sign.
    "My riding style - like I'm being chased by a clown." - rscecil007

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Xanadu trail closure?

FYI, I've just set up a Kiva account for anybody who's interested in kicking in for a coupla "Slow, Snake Crossing" signs, and a special road safety course for the snakes, taught by a noted Leavenworth herpetologist...

"Okay, let's go over this one more time. It's hiss ONCE and look TWICE, okay? I'm serious here- this is your life I'm talkin' about! Fer cryin' out loud, you think you could pay a little more attention, huh? Would you quit with that tail thing already, and sit up straight when I'm talkin' to you!"

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    I'm surprised people shuttle...it's not as though you don't still have a long climb from the gate. The pedal from parking to the gate is rather trivial.
    There's several other trails up that road, both bike & moto. Thunderbird probably doesn't know/care but the majority of shuttlers aren't coming down xanadu.

definitely snake country- had a close call with a rattler out there this summer- had his jaw unhinged with a mouse ass hanging out!

mtbr member
    My map(greentrails #178) shows the road crosses private land between rd7401 turnoff and 7403, but its a forest service road so there is an easement. I think the real problem is it doesn't look like Xanadu is an official trail witch means it was never really open to bikes in the first place.
    The land owners of the trail are Wash.DNR and US forest service.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    To answer a few questions:

Quote Originally Posted by Big B View Post
    Is she claiming actual sections of trail are on her property, or is it the fire road leading up to the trail head? If it's just the road, I guess I'm surprised to hear she owns the fire road.
    She is saying that part of the trail is on the private property. I gather that it includes the slab and some of the lower trail.

Tarekith- Yes. Turkey farm.

FM- the F.S. road definitely does cross the property, for about a mile. It is an easement.
    The guy who owns the property happens to be a land surveyor. His claim is that Xanadu runs through his property.

Scotteric- We rode it Saturday, frosty and fun. She gave us permission (after a half-hour lecture). It's a pretty weird winter.

Big B- People are lazy.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteNW View Post
    She is saying that part of the trail is on the private property. I gather that it includes the slab and some of the lower trail.
    FM- the F.S. road definitely does cross the property, for about a mile. It is an easement.
    The guy who owns the property happens to be a land surveyor. His claim is that Xanadu runs through his property.
    Assuming all that is true: The majority of traffic, shuttle and otherwise, going up the road is not coming down Xanadu. There are many other trails in the area and many of them are legit FS trails. I don't see where anyone but the FS can close the FS road.

So, closing Xanadu isn't really going to change anything (except one less trail for us).

I do sympathize with their complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Kliemann53 View Post
    I think the real problem is it doesn't look like Xanadu is an official trail witch means it was never really open to bikes in the first place.
    The land owners of the trail are Wash.DNR and US forest service.
    I think you're dead on with this. I could be wrong but I doubt anyone but the FS & DNR could close these trails; however Turkey Lady could become a squeaky wheel and encourage them to do exactly that- if thats what they choose to do with their limited resources. Maybe they would also boot some of the squatters while they are up there.

Just another consideration. This happens to so many "grey" trails when people start posting maps & videos and mentioning specific trail names on the forums. Traffic multiplies exponentially and then the locals get fed up with traffic in their back yard and trails get closed down. All I'm sayin' is we should all be careful with how we share trail info, for trails that aren't built for crowds.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Xanadu

We've been having a local discussion about Xanadu closing on the WenatcheeOutdoorsForum. Here is the latest:

Munly at Das Rad Haus sent us this info:

"Need to touch base with you about unfortunate trail closer for a year of the Xanadu Trail as we now have some private property issues on the road and ridge with Thunderbird and the actual land owner, Billy Stroud. I have not had a chance to talk with Billy yet on this change, but she is requesting we post the trail 'Closed' for one year... I'm in and out of town a lot over the next two weeks, but (after) I will get ahold of Billy and see if I can get a meeting time to see what our options are and (what solutions we might have). I have reached the end of what I can do by myself for Thunderbird (but) I think we don't have a burnt bridge yet."

Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    Assuming all that is true: The majority of traffic, shuttle and otherwise, going up the road is not coming down Xanadu. There are many other trails in the area and many of them are legit FS trails. I don't see where anyone but the FS can close the FS road.

So, closing Xanadu isn't really going to change anything (except one less trail for us).

I do sympathize with their complaints.

I think you're dead on with this. I could be wrong but I doubt anyone but the FS & DNR could close these trails; however Turkey Lady could become a squeaky wheel and encourage them to do exactly that- if thats what they choose to do with their limited resources. Maybe they would also boot some of the squatters while they are up there.

Just another consideration. This happens to so many "grey" trails when people start posting maps & videos and mentioning specific trail names on the forums. Traffic multiplies exponentially and then the locals get fed up with traffic in their back yard and trails get closed down. All I'm sayin' is we should all be careful with how we share trail info, for trails that aren't built for crowds.

Biking Like Crazy!
    Subscribed (with fingers crossed!)
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Posted in the Leavenworth Echo yesterday:
    Leavenworth Echo

Attention
    Public Notice

As a Courtesy to You

Public meeting May 2 at 7 p.m., Peshastin Cemetery Memorial Hall. (Formerly the American Legion Hall), 10121 Main Street Peshastin. We, Billy Stroud and Thunderbyrd, the owner and proprietor of 7400 Derby Canyon Road (160 acres of private property) are informing you the public, as of 1 January 2014, we have closed the Xanadu Bicycle Trail passing through our property. Trespassers will be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. At this time, our intentions are to reopen the Bicycle Trail in the spring of 2015 with written permission to pass through on the designated Xanadu Trail.
    We are informing you, the public, that we are rescinding our permission for the use of our property as a Bicycle Trail for several reasons that can be heard at the meeting.
    So, it appears to me that they have realized that they cannot close the FS road that traverses the property, but they can close the portion of the trail that goes through, since it is not an official trail. James Munly has his work cut out for him I think.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

Biking Like Crazy!
    Interesting developments DRS. Is James Munly the guy who will be watching out for me on the trail as I go flying by?
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    No, James Munly is the owner/operator of Das Rad Haus in Leavenworth and now a paid employee of Evergreen MTB's eastern WA team, I think.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

Biking Like Crazy!
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    No, James Munly is the owner/operator of Das Rad Haus in Leavenworth and now a paid employee of Evergreen MTB's eastern WA team, I think.
    I will abide by his instructions then.
    I met him once last year after the work they did on the Freund Canyon replacement trail above Levenworth.
    Niner RIP9
    Niner WFO 650B
    Knolly Chilcotin
    Knolly Podium

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Xanadu trail closure?

Is a reroute possible?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm guessing it would be difficult, despite on about 800' or so of trail being on the Stroud property. Here is a piece of the Chelan County GIS property map with the Stroud property highlighted and the 2006 satellite imagery of the lower part of Xanadu.
    Xanadu trail closure?-stroud-property.jpg

Avoiding the property would mean going off of the ridge and into the ravine to the NW. If it were a legit trail, perhaps it could easily be done, and in fact, it would have probably never existed on the private property in the first place, but water under the bridge and all that.

ETA: If Xanadu can be rerouted down the slope to the ravine to the north and west, it could then meet up with the Tres Hombres exit trail and that seems like it could be workable.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Xanadu trail closure?

Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    ETA: If Xanadu can be rerouted down the slope to the ravine to the north and west, it could then meet up with the Tres Hombres exit trail and that seems like it could be workable.
    That's what I was thinking.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    So whats supposed to happen in a year that will be any different? I have friends riding over there today, will be interesting to hear what trails they rode....

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scotteric View Post
    So whats supposed to happen in a year that will be any different? I have friends riding over there today, will be interesting to hear what trails they rode....
    Can we get an update?

mtbr member
    I read about a workaround here. Has anyone heard anything else about it?
    Xanadu - Thorns in the Trail
    2013 Stumpjumper Evo
    2012 Transition TR250
    My MTB website
    http://www.mtbcommunity.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Nothing new that I've heard. Call Das Rad Haus and talk to James for anything current but I have heard squat

DRH (509) 548-5615

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast