Thread: Xanadu

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Xanadu

Rode Xanadu today...was worried a bit about the recent rains but it was good.

Write up and pics on Wenatchee Outdoors Forum

Moist and Delicious
    Is this trail still grey, or is it sanctioned now? I've never ridden, and would love to know where the heck it is. I've only seen various vids online, and Pedal-Driven featured it in the doc.
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

mtbr member
    I rode Xanadu last summer and the guys at Das Rad Haus in Leavenworth had copies of a hand drawn map available, fyi.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Xanadu

I don't think it's ever been a "grey" trail. You might be thinking of Tres Hombres which is in the area.

It's pretty easy to find. From Leavenworth it's about 5-6 miles east near the town of Peshastin. You can check out this map on WenatcheeOutdoors.org

Derby Canyon is just about one mile from Peshastin.
    Last edited by rbwen; 04-07-2013 at 08:03 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    nasai, you can spot the parking spot at the bottom where the trail spills out. Take the road up and around the gate to the left. Trail peels left at the ridge top. Pretty straight forward...

Moist and Delicious
    Thanks BB.
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

mtbr member
    I live in Toronto, but my parents are in Chelan. This is the second time I rented a bike from Das Rad Haus to have a little bike vacation and this time I rented a demo bike and rode Xanadu.

This is a killer fun Trail! I am not super fit, so the ride up was brutal (and boring unlike Freund Canyon) but the ride down was worth it. I was on an unfamiliar bike (Trek Remedy 29'er, and I am not a fan of 29'ers in general) on an unfamiliar trail and by myself so I did walk a few of the hairier parts. I'd like to go back again with friends and rip it.

Living on the East Coast means there isn't much in the way of elevation, but we have typically techier trails (lots and lots of rocks). This trail is enough techy to keep you on your toes but the elevation visual to make you feel like you are riding a continual ladder. Highly recommended!

mtbr member
    Yeah, did this one earlier in the year and it was so much fun. Definitely techier than I expected too, made the climb more worth it.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    There used to be a sign at the bottom saying "no bikes". It's gone now and they (the locals?) have clearly put a lot of work in improving the trail. It's a lot swoopier than it used to be. Even the gnarly rock drop is a lot friendlier now.

Quote Originally Posted by rbwen View Post
    I don't think it's ever been a "grey" trail. You might be thinking of Tres Hombres which is in the area.

It's pretty easy to find. From Leavenworth it's about 5-6 miles east near the town of Peshastin. You can check out this map on WenatcheeOutdoors.org

Derby Canyon is just about one mile from Peshastin.

mtbr member
    Here is a pretty neat video someone made:
    Mountain Biking Xanadu GO PRO (High Definition) - YouTube
    The only thing missing is the big boulder drop (that many people walk). The ridge line is pretty scary even in the video. The dog is pretty cool too!

Moist and Delicious
    I love ridge line trails... that's the BEST stuff. Gotta get over there to check it out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    i was thinking of doing xanadu in the morning then to stevens pass for some afternoon riding.

Moist and Delicious
    That's a helluva ridge line. I bet it's way steeper than that video suggests as well. AWESOME. I know FM had some video years back. Must.... look.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Looks like a great ride.

mtbr member
    here's a video I made with my dog a couple years ago....

https://vimeo.com/32600171

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    as great as the ride is, it was too bad to see how eroded it was in the big berm corners due to too dry of dirt conditions. just does not have the wonderful flow feel as when it's prime.

did Mission Ridge/Devil's Gulch also. Mission was about as good as it can be. just one tree @1.5 mi. down to deal w/. almost zero water/mud. getting close to Devil's intersection there was some beachsand conditions, but short. the rest of the way down the Gulch is prime except for the addition of a lot of loose rock washed onto the trail in a few areas.
    overall, really great.
    breezy shade

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by nhodge View Post
    as great as the ride is, it was too bad to see how eroded it was in the big berm corners due to too dry of dirt conditions. just does not have the wonderful flow feel as when it's prime.
    I think we can all do the builders a favor here by riding this selectively- like when it's seen moisture recently, or during the shoulder seasons. Riding it when it hasn't seen rain in weeks really tears it up, especially doing multiple laps.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    I think we can all do the builders a favor here by riding this selectively- like when it's seen moisture recently, or during the shoulder seasons. Riding it when it hasn't seen rain in weeks really tears it up, especially doing multiple laps.
    i agree completely. the area got rained on hard not long ago & then the night before we rode. we figured the night's rain would have done nothing but good. but that soil & the eastside's summers do not make for a popular trail to sustain the # of riders Xanadu is bound to get.
    breezy shade

bro not pro
    rode it for the first time today, Oct 13 ... perfect fall weather. absolutely loved it. gnar, views, tech, berms.

G O N Z

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Got to ride this trail for the 1st time on Saturday. So awesome! From the tech ridgeline riding up high to the swoopy, jumpy, flowing berms down low it was all great. I would like to ride it again sometime when the area wasn't swarming with hunters and warzone like gunfire.