mtbr member
    May 2004

WTA Grand Ridge Bog 2/31

6 riders showed today, a record as far as I know. Big thanks to Art T., Peter P., Walt S., Doug C. and Len F Some of us went up the hill to the south to do mud control while others stayed down in the bog. Good progress was made with deck and bull rail. County will get more stringers next week. They had planed on tossing the scrap cedar out into the bog but I said we could use it at Duthie. One more week then another 2 in February and maybe more. Parks guy is looking forward to the water tower loop, no bogs or streams to cross.

Pics
    MobileMe Gallery

Trail Work Parties — Washington Trails Association
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Wow, that's getting so close to done.

bro not pro
    We split into several sub-groups. I was working with Len Francies (mtb) and Liz ( hiker ) on installing deck planks. We worked hard all day and managed to complete about 12 feet of decking. Another group worked on decking a differenct section, and still another was installing the railings. Here's some more pictures from the work party.

Last edited by Gonz; 01-01-2012 at 12:38 AM.
    G O N Z

mtbr member
    May 2004
    What's Pam smoking?
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    I rode out there yesterday from Issaquah. Bridge looks great and so does the section of trail that is uphill from the bog area. It’s nice to have a little better flow to that section… thank you.

Over the Christmas weekend I had some free time and hiked in from Grand Ridge drive with a shovel and rake to drain some of the bigger puddles and get rid of some of the leaves. And I got a little hand held pick axe that I can strap to my Camelbak to dig drains off the smaller puddles while climbing up from I-90.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Mark747 thanks for the work.

Still spaces open for Saturday, wta.org.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Another great day in the bog! Had 25 people show up, we had groups hauling wood, milling. building the punchon and one working on turnpike. That's it until middle of next month for 2 weeks. May be more time in the spring.
    Pics MobileMe Gallery

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Forgot to mention the strange thing I saw yesterday, Mike Westra riding a bike! Hope he takes it easy and doesn't hurt himself.

mtbr member
    Great pictures Dave. You really get an idea how hefty those planks are seeing them wheeled around like that.

mtbr member
    One more photo from 1/7 starring Walt and 7 freshly milled deck boards.

This photo was taken at the end of the day and shows critical mass of 25ish WTA hard hats on last year's half of the puncheon. There are about two more pairs of sills (rounds on rock in the mud) to add then connect in the middle. Mid Feb is when WTA will return to finish joining the halves.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Awesome work!

mtbr member
    Is there any where local to buy trail building tools Like Rouge brand Hoes or some other heavy duty hoes?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Check out Hardwicks Hardware in the U district.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    nice work mark747 - saw some of that handy work on the I-90 side

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Rode GR oab to duthie sunday, and was super impressed with the progress- not just the bridge, but the drainage improvements that have resulted in a significantly drier trail. I've seen it muddier in July- the drainage work is really paying off. Nice work!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Next Grand Ridge Bog work party dates?

Dave:

[Edit: the dates are on WTA now, so no need. thx]

Can you tell me the next planned dates for a Grand Ridge work party? There's nothing listed on WTA.org. Thanks,
    Last edited by Nsteele; 01-17-2012 at 02:09 PM.