mtbr member
    May 2004

WTA Grand Ridge Bog 2-18

GETTING CLOSER! If there's enough deck boards down there then we'll have it finished next week. If not them we have to hope the county has enough time to mill some more from new blowdowns near Central Park. About 25 showed today, some rain, some wind and just a little bit of sun. Some of us went way up the hill to the south on puddle patrol. Watch for soft spots on the way down to the bog. We'll be there next week then 2 weeks in March. The March time will be spent planting the bog and fixing spots north and south of Grand Ridge Drive.
    PLEASE WAIT A DAY OR 2 AFTER A HEAVY RAIN before riding.
    Pictures from today.
    MobileMe Gallery
    Trail Work Parties — Washington Trails Association

Big thanks to the 5 other riders that showed up today!
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Just got the word that the last spike was driven today! And yes it was painted gold. Now we can get rock over to the south side to fix the clay.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Come on, Dave! Having that bridge done and the slippery clay fixed up with rock will mean that *everybody* will be on the trail and I really liked the dedication it used to require to get there. Dammit. I demand that at least a portion of the bridge be removed and trail torn up so I can have my own private trail back!

Just kidding.

I am looking forward to being able to use Duthie-Grand Ridge as my GOTO place for a good workout at any time of the year, and kudos to the cooperation between KingCo, WTA, and Evergreen for this amazing amount of work. Now, when is the Duthie boardwalk going to be rebuilt to the Grand Ridge Bog Bridge (GRBB) standard?

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Hey Dave - thanks for leading the charge on behalf of mountain bikers. The bridge is a great accomplishment!

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Yeah! Nice one, Dave -- we all really appreciate the effort!

mtbr member
    +1!! The bridge is amazing and the trail rides great. A couple of weeks ago I passed a group of 3 or 4 bikers who were just rounding the corner to the bridge. When they saw it, they all whooped and hollered, yelling "This is awesome!" I felt the same way. What great work.
    "Careful. We don't want to learn from this." -- Calvin & Hobbes

mtbr member
    May 2004
    On the drive out it was pouring rain/ snow so it didn't look like it was going to be a good day.
    As we got ready to walk in it stopped and the predicted high winds never happened. We split up, some re-veged, some finished the bull rail and others hauled rocks. All the wood work is done just need to re-veg around the punchon and finish the turnpike on the south end. We'll be back for another 2 weeks in late March. If it's not to wet we'll be able to take the toter up the hill and finish and extend the turnpike up there. Looks like the big project for next winter will be a loop up the the water tower north of Grand Ridge Drive.
    Pics from today
    MobileMe Gallery

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Pics from start to finish
    MobileMe Gallery

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    My first ride on Grand Ridge / Duthie was over the recently finished bridge. Thanks to all the volunteers.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    Now, when is the Duthie boardwalk going to be rebuilt to the Grand Ridge Bog Bridge (GRBB) standard?
    Oh that's easy, just run down to the garden store and buy some Miracle Grow to pour on it.

Lot's of hard work put in, would see those folks alot on all days through the week, and they start early in the morning. Busy working before 9 on weekdays,

i want to give a shout out to Ron C, a volunteer who volunteered a TON of time on that bridge, as well as at Duthie as well. As well as other mt. bikers besides Dave, some i know, some i don't. And all volunteers regardless, the bridge really provides the last link towards opening up Issaquah to mt. biking in a real way.

Let's hope that more connections are made soon in our time. Ride from Duthie to Tiger Mt anyone?
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    The link below has photos of last thursday's work party's last two hours in reverse including 1st rider and mill saw.
    Art and I had pleasure of milling the last deck board then we stood back and watched the show and took pictures.
    Flickr: ForestFlow's Photostream

Len aka forestflow

(fixed the link per Dave's hint)
    Last edited by Len.Francies; 03-01-2012 at 04:24 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I don't see a slide show.....

mtbr member
    Here reverse in time from the golden spike being completed back to lunch.:

ForestFlow's Photostream

(please ignore if you already clicked the link fixed above...)
    Last edited by Len.Francies; 03-01-2012 at 04:30 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    End of March dates just posted on WTA site.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Nice ride across and back this afternoon. Crazy that it only takes a minute or two to ride across. Duthie side is real nice with no mud too.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Work parties for the first week of April just posted.
    wta.org

mtbr member
    First time I have ridden Grand Ridge since the early 90's. Thought it was stupid then and didn't go back for a couple of decades. Rode it last weekend up to Duthie. What a wonderful trail. Thank you all for your efforts! Well made.

Awesome ride!

Seek: Old Mtn. Goat Bar Stem Combo.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Just roll it......
    Way to represent for the bikers, Dave.

What's the total distance on that bridge? 600 feet? Longer?

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Nice video guys. That boardwalk is damn impressive...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post
    Way to represent for the bikers, Dave.

What's the total distance on that bridge? 600 feet? Longer?
    Very close, official length is 605'

6'4"-6'9" with the afro
    This reminds me of a major road construction where, years after, you forget what the route used to be like. In this case, I don't want to forget because every time I ride it now, considering what you had to do before it was done makes the ride soooo sweet! I remember one ride a few years ago, carrying my bike through the frozen bog, I fell through the ice. My feet and legs were frozen blocks for the rest of the ride. Thank you Dave, WTA, and everyone who helped. It's absolutely amazing.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express