mtbr member
    May 2004

WTA Grand Ridge 12-14

Good day to be doing trail work. Turnout during the week was good so lots of progress. Tue. - Sat next week then the 3 days after Christmass.
    Santa will appear on Thursday, there's 40 signed up so far.
    Pics.
    WTA Grand Ridge 12-14 Slideshow by DaveSchult | Photobucket
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    A nice day in the drizzle and fog. The reroute is done so we're south of Grand Ridge DR fixing wet spots. If you're tired of the mud come out Thur, Fri or Sat and help fix it.
    WTA Grand Ridge 12-21-13 Slideshow by DaveSchult | Photobucket
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    the reroute is gorgeous.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Friday- I was going to work with WTA but Art decided that was the day to fix the tight switch back on the reroute, so that's what I did with Len, Jim, and Anthony. Big thanks to Craig who got off his bike and helped us for the last 2 hours. He had lots of energy as we were winding down. We now have a nice turn that fits with that section of trail.

Saturday- Worked with WTA south of GR drive. Turnpikes didn't turn out so great. They used the wrong dirt, I think because it was close and they had small crews and limited time. Only you can make larger crews possible by signing up next time. We hauled in gravel but one of the totters broke down so we couldn't finish. County guy said he'd be back with some more loads. It's going to suck until summer when it has a chance to set up. Should be fine for next winter. As it dries out I'll lead a work party to put the finishing touches on it.

That's if for WTA until February. I'll be posting some work parties for EMBA to fix the slime on the south side of the boardwalk once the county starts bringing in rock.

mtbr member

Re: WTA Grand Ridge 12-28

I'm having difficulty with "its going to suck until summer." I love the county and I applaud WTAs building of the trail and recent reroute with county design but the sanity check of "can I finish this today?" on an active trail begs the question of who is responsible for this. Don't flood the airwaves with your opinions as you readers are suspect for your lack of participation. Just know you may choose other routes in the meantime while the weary worker bees sort this best-of-intentions debacle out.
    Last edited by Len.Francies; 12-31-2013 at 04:39 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Checked out the section south of GR drive tonight, there are only two parts where it gets bad. BIG difference from Friday so hats off to the crew that worked on Saturday.

mtbr member
    The County moved 10 toter loads of small crushed rock to the softest patches in the 200' stretch of retooled trail today. Its still going to track up but they are on it and we all have accepted its part of the effort to improve the trail. Thanks King County Parks.
    Last edited by Len.Francies; 01-01-2014 at 02:00 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I'll say. A buddy and I rode it this am. Except for the drainage work and some armoring, it looks like it's always been there; I was a bit disoriented at first when we rode up to the south end. Well done, all!

mtbr member
    Exhale: thanks Tom. Art let me know the small crushed rock was setting up in the goopy clay slime a couple of weeks ago. (Again thanks king county!) .

So no trees blocking is also good news as that was quite a puff Saturday about 4am. We've been wondering about wind down wood but glad it seems like no big deal.

So Dave get your WTA brothers and sisters to focus on work they can walk responsibly away from in Feb. That turnpike on reroute seems hi-pri.
    Last edited by Len.Francies; 01-15-2014 at 11:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Actually there is a tree down close to the south end of the boardwalk/puncheon bridge. It's in two big pieces. Rideable by trials riders (e.g. Wipp), not many others. Too big to move or saw out by hand. On the way up I confess I didn't mind getting off the bike for a minute. Lots of little improvements for wet/slimey spots everywhere; really appreciate it!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    There is also a tree down about halfway up from the High Point Trailhead on the Grand Ridge Trail. Also too big to move or saw by hand, and potentially hazardous if you approach the downed tree at speed. It is impossible to ride over the tree.

The dirt is in good shape at the moment, and the gravel placed on the trail south of Grand Ridge Rd. has really helped mitigate the slop associated with the recently reworked section.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    If you guys could mark up a map with the blowdowns and estimate the size I'll send them to to county. If it's going to be a complicated or risky cut include detail and pictures. This way they can show up with the right gear and people.
    Good to hear the recent work is setting up. When I rode it last it was mostly frozen so I couldn't tell.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by TFitz View Post
    Actually there is a tree down close to the south end of the boardwalk/puncheon bridge. It's in two big pieces. Rideable by trials riders (e.g. Wipp), not many others. Too big to move or saw out by hand. On the way up I confess I didn't mind getting off the bike for a minute. Lots of little improvements for wet/slimey spots everywhere; really appreciate it!
    Cleared.