Dream it, Do it.

Worth getting Fenders?

Following up on my post on needing guns, here's hopefully a less controversial topic.

Is it worth having fenders on a mountain bike in the Seattle area? I got fenders on my road bike this past year and it was a revelation riding in the wet without getting all wet & muddy from water being kicked up from the road.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    Following up on my post on needing guns, here's hopefully a less controversial topic.

Is it worth having fenders on a mountain bike in the Seattle area? I got fenders on my road bike this past year and it was a revelation riding in the wet without getting all wet & muddy from water being kicked up from the road.
    Yes. I use Crud brand F&R. Not full coverage for trails.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Have them on my commuterroadcx bike but not on my mountain. I usually just bring a towel to the trail. I tried them on my mountain bike and found it to be more of an annoyance. I did buy cheap ones though so that might have had something to do with it.

Shiggy would definitely have more experience than me though.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    SKS Shockboards please. I keep finding them in the woods when they fall off your bikes. At least 2-3 so far. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Universal Cycles -- SKS Grand D.A.D. Front Fender
    Universal Cycles -- SKS Grand MOM Rear Fender

They're wider and built better than a Shockboard, and the mounting for the front is much more secure. There's a metal sliding lock that attaches to a bolt; no plastic to plastic interface that can vibrate off.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Get the Mucky Nutz ultra lite Bender Fender (www.muckynutz.com). It works great!

Last word is all yours...
    As most people said, yes, worth having.

To everybody: what works well for a dropper post? Ever since I got a dropper post, my SKS X3 isn't really usable (slams the rear wheel on any suspension compression).
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Try one of the seatpost mount units with two pivots like thr sks x blade. Mount it to the post low with the small middle seaction going up at a 45. Then set the actual fender level with the ground.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    There are alot of slower trails where you kind of don't need fenders. But any trail where you're carrying speed and there is water on the trail you will benefit with a fender by being able to see.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    How timely. I used to totally razz riders with fenders. "Big Sissy!". I just installed a set of Cruds on my bike last night.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hehehe. I used to like riding my bike through hub deep mud puddles too.....

mtbr member
    I hate the look of the moto style front fender, but man, they do work great. I use to use just a downtube fender but it doesnt help much when you have a big knobby rock/mud spitting front tire.

mtbr member
    You guys are making me want to try it out again with a quality set. At the very least a front so I'm not getting mud in the face/eyes.

mtbr member
    I'm a fan of the inner tube stretched between the fork arch and crown. If seems to keep the mud out of the face/eyes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I got a Mucky Nutz and it works pretty good and is very stealth. Don't like the moto style fenders much either. Keeps most of the mud out of the face, but still got soaked at Tiger last weekend. I don't know if any fender would have helped up there last weekend.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by Agate View Post
    Universal Cycles -- SKS Grand D.A.D. Front Fender
    Universal Cycles -- SKS Grand MOM Rear Fender

They're wider and built better than a Shockboard, and the mounting for the front is much more secure. There's a metal sliding lock that attaches to a bolt; no plastic to plastic interface that can vibrate off.
    I snapped the MOM fender in the parking lot.

The Crud has been indestructable.

I used to swear by the moto style fork mount fronts until I tried the latest Crud Catcher downtube guard. just as effective (except for the forward spray) and simpler.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

mtbr member
    I use some old enduro fenders that came on the 2001 or so model plus the older SKS rear MTB that uses the orange rubberized fabric to clamp on your seatpost or seattube. Great for the muddy NW. I bought some of the Mucky Nutz and they in no way compare to a rear front fender. I also just bought some fronts from blueskycycling - THE fenders made from lexan so they are pretty light and look nice. Haven't tried it yet.
    "It looks flexy"

Dream it, Do it.
    Thanks for the info! I like the idea of a small downtube fender like the Crud Catcher and a seatpost fender in the back. Cheaper than a set of moto-style fenders and sounds like it will do about 90% of what I want out of fenders.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectre View Post
    Thanks for the info! I like the idea of a small downtube fender like the Crud Catcher and a seatpost fender in the back. Cheaper than a set of moto-style fenders and sounds like it will do about 90% of what I want out of fenders.
    It'll do about 50% of what they should but it's much better than nothing at all.
    "It looks flexy"