mtbr member
    Jun 2008

who's dumbing down the trails at St Ed's/Big Finn Hill?

Whoever you are, if you can't quit, can you at least consult a few of us beforehand? Your recent work includes fixing some wet spots (good; thanks) as well as the dumbing down (ramps and earth piled against logs/log piles across the trail that have been there quite awhile). The difference is obvious and lots of riders really would rather you not do it. If the obstacles are too much for you, get better or ride somewhere else (these are considered beginner-friendly trails as it is). Thank you.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Not cool.
    2011 Santa Cruz V-10

2008 Giant Reign X

2007 Specialized Allez

Old and Crusty
    Nov 2010
    I noticed this too, but just chocked it up for locals. Someone worked on the trails over the past week in St. Ed's, nice work. I tried fixing a few wetter spots too, every little bit works as long as it doesn't take away from the trails character. I'm hoping that this warmer weather we are having now actually improves the riding proformance of these trails....can't hurt. You also have to wonder if those that point fingers actually work on maintaining trails not just pointing out things that piss them off. Hmmm.....

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    TFitz isn't just pointing fingers. He talks with his shovel, so he's earned the right to pint out a few things. Tom's been the main St. Eds trail steward for many years. Not just trail work, but also the painful, slow, and VERY important behind-the-scenes political and advocacy work on behalf of Evergreen and all mountain bikers that ride these trails.

I usually agree that e-biatching is annoying and unfounded, so I'm certainly not trying to flame you. But in this case, I've got TFitz's back.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    Most everything down there has a flat ride-around as it is. That sucks.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    thanks for the kind words, Juice. On a more positive note, KC Parks is about to do a trail plan for the park, so if there are things you want to see that you don't (I can't imagine easier trails, but those who want them can dream...), watch for an announcement of a public meeting within a month or so.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I think OleGrayHair hit the nail on the head "as it doesn't take away from the trails character." Pretty sure TFitz has good intentions, but the tone comes across a bit harsh and might be misunderstood, no offense T.

Since this trail system is merely blocks from my house I have an interest in helping maintain them for year round riding and I am guilty of filling in puddles and making sure things drain properly, but cant claim the dumbing down of features.

I do look forward to the trail planning meeting with high hopes of KC allowing us to add some variety to the trails that are in place (a little something for everyone - technical, XC, flow style, etc). I am pretty sure that if a broader range of trail styles were in place there would be a lot less random and uncontrolled trail modifications...just my two cents.