Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Whistler X-Country Trails?

888 views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  EnduroDoug 
#1 · (Edited)
I realize there are a ton of downhill opportunities in the Whistler area but what are some of the great (epic? biblical?) x-country rides up there? We are headed that way for a week in July/August and would appreciate any knowledge of what to ride/not to ride. We are all advanced riders looking for 3+ hours in the saddle per day...without buying a lift ticket.

Thanks!

Ray, Wenatchee

#2 ·
Ray,

There was a Bike Mag out recently titled "the Bible of bike tests". See if you can track that down as it's got a big section on Whistler in it.

I'd do zappa trails around lost lake as a good warm up ride. These are considered light duty xc around the valley. Then, hit Emerald Forest trails like Cut Yer Bars, Re-Bob, River Runs Through It. You can do a swim at Rainbow Park with the new extension of RRTI and then ride the valley trail back to the village. Then, hit comfortably Numb for a big day (4-7 hours depending on your technical skills). Bring extra water/food on that and swim trunks for a stop at Lost Lake on the way back to the village. Another day is fun to climb up the Flank trail and descend down Industrial Disease or Cheap Thrills to Danimal. I like Cheap Thrills, but that's more my flavor with several steep rock roll moves.

A day in Pemby is pretty worth it too....but that's a whole other post.

Cheers,
EB

#6 ·
I second the Squamish reference. Hit up the bike shop on your way into town and ask about the Powerhouse Plunge and the Skookum (not to be confused with the one in Greenwater, WA) trails. Specifically, you can try to track down a map to the Gearjammer race course -- it's a pretty burly XC race done in July that is much more aggressive than the Test of Metal. GJ hits a ton of technical singletrack in the area (I forget the names of the trails), but it makes for a pretty epic 3.5 to 5 hour ride, depending on skill/pace/repeats.

Edit: Here's the GJ map: https://www.gearjammer.ca/media/Maps/GearJamMap09.jpg

It's a point-to-point, but I imagine you can piece together some nice loops. Psuedo Tsuga is a must-do as well!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.