Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Where to ride in the Spokane area

1K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  formica 
#1 ·
I'll be in Spokane late next month (October 24th - 29th) for work and will be free to ride during the day. Just wondering what the popular trails are in the area.
I'll be looking to rent a bike and hopefully see if there are any group rides I can possibly join, or any locals willing to show a guy from LA around.

I recently rode part of the Surveyor's Ridge Trail and Sandy Ridge Trail System in OR for the first time and loved them both. I hear the trails in WA are as good if not better. Looking forward to some good riding while I'm there.

I know this is a little far in advance, but wanted to test the water and start looking at my options.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Vic

#3 ·
Thanks Indiemtbkr, I will definitely look these up. Let me know as time gets closer what your availability looks like during the dates I posted above. As it stands now, I will be able to ride mainly in the mornings. This may change as we get closer to the dates I'll be out there.

#4 ·
I'm in the same boat - heading to Spokane from Vermont next week and will have plenty of time for a couple rides. I'll be there Saturday Oct 14 - Thurs Oct 19th.

Indiemtbkr - thanks for the trail names. Is a local trail association that might have more info on the trails? I'm not afraid of long climbs and love long descents full of technical single track. Do any of the trail systems you mentioned cater more towards technical single track?

Anybody else have a bead on nice full suspension rentals?

Thanks!

#6 ·
That is sad. You might have to see if there are any rental shops in Coeur d'Alene or Fun Unlimited in Post Falls.

The local organization is Evergreen East. We don't have much info on our website yet but I can give you some info.

Riverside St Park has a lot of easy trails but you can find some technical singletrack closer to Bowl and Pitcher or in the Deep Creek area (North of Seven Mile Road). Riverside has the most trails but there's not any real long climbs/descents. I believe there is a map for Riverside but I would recommend to explore without the map since there are so many trails.

A lot of the singletrack at Beacon is more smooth/flowy although if you like technical descents filled with rock drops you can check out the Good Times or the Zipper. We have an updated map you can download here: Beacon Map | Evergreen East

Iller Creek has more elevation and one or 2 good loops. The best route is if you take a left from the bottom and head up to the top and back down.

If you like long descents Mt Spokane is your best bet. Trails 140 and 110 are the best for going down. 140 has a fun technical section at the top of the mountain and is pretty fun the whole way down. Map

#16 ·
I posted this up in another thread in the Idaho section, but thought it would be good to add it here too.

I ended up riding at Silver Mountain today. Excelsior Cycles was the only place that I could get confirmation on a FS rental, so thats why I ended up riding there. It was a little over 1hr from Spokane. The lift was closed, so I was able to get a good bit of cardio in by riding up one of the downhill trails. I've never ridden a lift for mountain biking, and I enjoy long climbs, so I was pysched. There was a fair bit of hike-a-bike involved, but it was a pretty straight forward climb. 5 miles and 2,000 vertical. I took Alhambra down. Really fun, lots of berms and switchbacks. Great dirt too. Solid 5 miles of cruising down.

The guy at Excelsior (Mike, I think) was really helpful and gave pretty good directions and tips on where to ride. The cost of the rental was a very reasonable $40 and the shop is right on the bike path that links up with the trails (or the lift). I ended up renting a Giant Yukon FS. 4" FS. Really basic. Non-adjustable fork, mechanical disk brakes, and low end Avid shifters. Definitely not the best bike for these trails, but it was still fun. Definitely made me appreciate my bike.

#17 ·
Well, looks like this trip is still on schedule for me. One of the days I was looking to do a nice scenic ride was on Saturday, October 26 - early morning. Given of course that I still find a loaner/rental and hopefully a guide that does not mind a guy taking a lot of pictures along the way. I will start looking into rentals in the next week or so and see what luck I have. Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Kettle Crest looks like a lot of fun. Only if it were closer to town...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.