Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Where in the PNW is that trail?!

Stumbled across this little-seen video on Youtube tonight, and like the commenter from a year ago, wonder where the trail in this video is. Any suggestions? Some of the shots here are absolutely stunning, wherever this is I'd love to put it on my "I want to go to there" list.

Northwest Mountain Biking

mtbr member
    Don't know what the trail is (not that there's really a trail), but that's Shuksan at 1:11 and Baker shortly after, so it has to be to the north, off the Nooksack River somewhere.

In fact, unless I'm mistaken (judging by terrain features and my topo maps), that's a big poach inside the wilderness boundary. Can't say that I really approve of it, if it is.
    Last edited by Agate; 05-04-2012 at 12:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Canyon Ridge Trail?

Could it be the Canyon Ridge Trail? I'm mostly just going off the description: views of Baker/Shuksan, one of few trails in the area open to mountain bikes.

mtbr member
    No, that's on the north side of the Nooksack, and the video is definitely shot much closer to Baker. Was my first thought/hope as well.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Agate is right. If I remember correctly, Transition was shooting a video and ended up riding in some areas where they shouldn't of been.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Beat me to it Schlitz. The shiny new Trans Am and slick production were the dead giveaway. I remember that controversy. Never have ridden Canyon Ridge 'cuz it's a long way for a short push.

I didn't do it
    My first thoughts were that this is a Transition promotional video, it's around Baker, and it sure looks like wilderness. Bummer that the later was right. Did the feds catch up with Transition or something?

mtbr member
    My understanding is the Forest Service went to Transition's offices and fined the rider. Can't say for sure whether that's what really happened but that was the rumor I heard after this debacle went down........

mtbr member
    for a ride like that...i'd pay two fines.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Poaching scumbag, if I see that scrawny little baddie, I'm gonna kick his ass and bend his bike around a tree.

mtbr member
    If only "parts" of that ride are legal, I'd like to know which parts. Amazing country. Makes me want to ride the Alps where bikes are welcome in this kind of terrain.

mtbr member
    Pretty sure that none of it is. And if any is, it would be the stuff right at the very end of the movie.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Such a bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
    Makes me want to ride the Alps where bikes are welcome in this kind of terrain.
    This was basically my reaction when I first watched it. Really disappointed to hear it's not totally legit.

On the other hand, being able to get such quick answers here is great. Thanks for that.

mtbr member
    AAAH'merica. Land of the Free*

*Dramatization. Restrictions may apply. Freedom not available in some areas.
    trust the tread

'06 Cannondale Prophet 1000
    '07 Bianchi Roger

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Ever hear a passing comment of a rider saying XC sucks. You have the 1984 revision to the Wilderness Designation re-phrasing non-motorized to non-mechanized to thank for that. A video like this really shows why.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by darthjamo View Post
    Poaching scumbag, if I see that scrawny little baddie, I'm gonna kick his ass and bend his bike around a tree.
    Yeah, totally. Did you see how many old women and babies he almost hit on the trail? Especially bad was the part where he scared a horse and rider right off the side of the rock face. I'm pretty sure I saw at least 5 or 6 wolverines die in terror at the sight of the bike and rider, and another 8 get rolled over by his tires.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Skookum View Post
    Ever hear a passing comment of a rider saying XC sucks. You have the 1984 revision to the Wilderness Designation re-phrasing non-motorized to non-mechanized to thank for that. A video like this really shows why.
    To clarify, the Wilderness Act wasn't revised. The administrative interpretation of the phrase 'mechanize transport' was changed.

As much as I'm opposed to new Wilderness and think trails should be objectively evaluated for use on a trail by trail basis instead of blanket closure, that's pretty f'n lame to poach wilderness for ad footage. I find it hard to believe such a mistake could be made honestly.

mtbr member
    It looks like more then one trail edited together. I ski Baker alot and if that shot at 1:18 is not Ptarmigan ridge & Coleman pinnacle heading up Mt. Baker then I'm a monkeys uncle, and yes thats in a wilderness area.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

not good

On top of the fact that they are poaching WA trails, we have to watch a lame a$$ rider make his way down, dragging brakes and messing up every trail touched.

Nice, very classy

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Ya I call bulls**t on that, the punk ass kid and
    the camera guy both needs their ass kicked
    if ask you ask me,
    sh*t heads like that is why we get trails closed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Kliemann53 View Post
    if that shot at 1:18 is not Ptarmigan ridge & Coleman pinnacle heading up Mt. Baker then I'm a monkeys uncle, and yes thats in a wilderness area.
    Nope, not Ptarmigan Ridge or Coleman Pinnacle.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lonecrow View Post
    Ya I call bulls**t on that, the punk ass kid and
    the camera guy both needs their ass kicked
    if ask you ask me,
    sh*t heads like that is why we get trails closed.
    I call bulls**t on this stupid comment.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by king2005 View Post
    On top of the fact that they are poaching WA trails, we have to watch a lame a$$ rider make his way down, dragging brakes and messing up every trail touched.

Nice, very classy
    Got any video of your skills?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cornish_game View Post
    I call bulls**t on this stupid comment.

I call BS on you posting video of you hacking your way down illegal trails. At least learn to ride first. Then, start lifting weights noodle arms.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by cornish_game View Post
    Nope, not Ptarmigan Ridge or Coleman Pinnacle.
    Gave yourself away there pretty easily Mr. Noodle Arms

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast