Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2012

What do you carry for defense on WA trails?

Hi all -- I've been thinking now that the season is upon us that I might try to do a few morning rides at nearby places like Soaring Eagle here on the Eastside.

I've been down on the lower sections closer to 202 in the late afternoon with nobody around and I've gotten the creeps once or twice. It's not unreal that there could be bear/cougar wandering out there (or killer deer? ...if there was such a thing).

Has anyone had any encounters while out riding solo? Do you carry anything to defend yourself? If yes, what do you carry?

(And, FYI, if you're planning to ambush me on a morning ride out on Soaring Eagle...you'll win a beat up bike...don't steal my wallet unless you're willing to pay the CC bill because I sure as hell don't got any cash)

What could go wrong ...
    something like this might work
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I used to ride to Win ... Now I ride to Grin

While my guitar gently weeps, my bike sits there mocking me

Slothful dirt hippie
    Borneo.
    But wait, I'm always behind him... crap. This idea isn't working right.

And may the search feature be with you: Need for a gun in the woods?
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

I didn't do it
    ^^Ugh, not again. That was an exhausting thread. If you have any questions about guns just refer to the above link. Please!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks guys. Stamp a big S on my head for "SEARCH".

Last word is all yours...
    Yeah, that thread was pretty awful. A simple answer is:

If you're concerned about bears, carry bear spray. It's cheap and easy to buy, and should be effective (not said from personal experience yet, though). I've actually encountered bears up close twice on my bike, once was a near face-to-face and I was solo. Both encounters were in Soaring Eagle, actually - not deep in the hills near Kachess, or Middle Fork Snoqualmie River, or Hansen Ridge, or ... YMMV.

For wildlife other than bears (including predatory humans), or defense other than bear spray, reading the whole thread is probably your better bet.

Edit: LOL, MTBR considers the scientific name for human beings to be too foul for print
    Last edited by r1de; 04-25-2012 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Silly MTBR language filter
    --
    -bp

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by r1de View Post
    For wildlife other than bears (including predatory **** sapiens), or defense other than bear spray, reading the whole thread is probably your better bet.
    I dunno...bear spray would probably work pretty well for defense against EMBA group ride leaders.

Last word is all yours...
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    I dunno...bear spray would probably work pretty well for defense against EMBA group ride leaders.
    No no, that depends on the ride leader.
    --
    -bp

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by r1de View Post
    If you're concerned about bears, carry bear spray. It's cheap and easy to buy, and should be effective (not said from personal experience yet, though). I've actually encountered bears up close twice on my bike, once was a near face-to-face and I was solo. Both encounters were in Soaring Eagle, actually - not deep in the hills near Kachess, or Middle Fork Snoqualmie River, or Hansen Ridge, or ... YMMV.
    I was playing golf at the Plateau Club a few years ago (many of the fairways parallel Soaring Eagle). Four of us were on the green putting when a Black Bear came out of the woods, not 20 yards from us, ambled across the fairway and into the woods on the other side. Just like we were not there.

To the OP, I don't ride with any kind of protection, but I do have a bear bell on my bike. Warns joggers and hikers that I am coming as well as wildlife.

mtbr member
    I carry a Glock 20 10mm.If that wont do it nothing will.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Never "packed" myself. Thought about it though... have had some encounter's with bears- they always ran from me- so far. Much scarier encounters with strange, questionable folk (some that were packin') out in the woods, and even on the commute through a certain part of town. Don't really want to manage a fire arm while riding... but I sure have thought about it a time or two! Nothing wrong w/ carrying bear spray, though I haven't sprung for that yet either. I just sing the "Flintstones" or the "Jetsons" theme when I'm feelin' creeped... sounds better than "hey bear, hey bear".

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ward View Post
    Never "packed" myself. Thought about it though... have had some encounter's with bears- they always ran from me- so far. Much scarier encounters with strange, questionable folk (some that were packin') out in the woods, and even on the commute through a certain part of town. Don't really want to manage a fire arm while riding... but I sure have thought about it a time or two! Nothing wrong w/ carrying bear spray, though I haven't sprung for that yet either. I just sing the "Flintstones" or the "Jetsons" theme when I'm feelin' creeped... sounds better than "hey bear, hey bear".
    Honestly has anyone here NOT had a bear run from you in the woods? Black bears are pretty docile and non-aggressive. When they hear you they head the other way. And unless you have some super duper silent drivetrain they're going to hear you. The ones at whistler you ride 10 feet from them and they just look up like "meh".
    Cougars on the other hand, not sure bear spray or even a glock will stop them if they really want to get you. My solution: ride with someone slower than you.

Unless I'm misreading this and we're talking about the "bears" that hang out in the grand ridge parking lot, or the "cougars" at the bars after the ride. In that case, definitely bring protection.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhsavery View Post
    My solution: ride with someone slower than you.

Unless I'm misreading this and we're talking about the "bears" that hang out in the grand ridge parking lot, or the "cougars" at the bars after the ride. In that case, definitely bring protection.
    haha

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    On most rides the most danger you'll face is the drive to the trail head...

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    just ride with some one that is a little slower than you.
    The Jackster. you must earn your turns and ride to the top.

mtbr member
    i usually carry a hefty pair of tire levers...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Hmm dont fret about bears in this state, they always run the other way when a human invades their space. cougars however may be another matter and warrant some awareness (I've hunted them). I would do as I do and ride with dogs, they are great companions and probably give a coug pause. I would also say that your bike may be the best weapon for fending off a cat. It is more readily available than digging in a pack for HG while getting chewed on. Other than that don't worry so much, life is too short!

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by fishmann View Post
    Hmm dont fret about bears in this state, they always run the other way when a human invades their space.
    Not always.

Bear Attack Victim Says He's ‘Very Lucky to Be Alive' » Kitsap Sun

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    True, it does happen. Interesting, this guy was out with his dog's too... Bear mauls Bellevue councilman at Lake Wenatchee home | KING5.com Seattle

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Machete!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    common with Alaska mt bikers is carry bear spray
    in water bottle holder , you can custom fit the
    can of spray in cut out plastic bottle.

mtbr member
    If you're carrying for protection against big wildlife, I would think something like a S&W 329 or 629 Mountain with 240 grain hollow points -- see Model 29 Mountain - Topic
    Last edited by BeginnerCycling; 05-04-2012 at 03:00 PM.
    I ride at night - see my tips for Night Cycling
    My Blog: Cycling For Beginners

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I have a CCP and usually carry.
    So why not when riding..... I do.

FWIW,
    Stu

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Kel-tec PF-9 9MM with hollow points....It's a cheaper pistol that can easily fit in your pocket. I don't ever recommend keeping it loaded though as there is no way to de-cock it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    ZombieEater,
    same here: Kel-Tec PF9
    Great little concealed carry weapon.
    However not my choice for Running-n-Gunning if your tracking me.

Later,
    Stu

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast