mtbr member

What bike to take?

Some riding buddies and I are planning a trip to Leavenworth this summer.

We all have DH bikes, and we all have AM bikes too. We're not sure which to bring.

Which would be the bike to bring to make the most of the "must ride" trails out there?

Thanks for reading.

mtbr member
    Whats a 'must ride' trail for you? Shuttle runs or epic day rides? There are shuttle trails for DH bikes and Stevens Pass. Lots of AM riding to do though. The majority of trails are going to be for trail bikes. I've ridden Tres on a Transition Covert and didn't die. Places like Devils Gulch can be shuttled but they are old school MTB rides, better served with a 12+ mile climb before the descent.

*take my info with a grain of salt - I haven't thoroughly explored the Leavenworth area.

Whens the trip?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the reply. The trip is planned for the end of June.

We're all from Vancouver, so ride Whistler a fair amount, so we'd probably avoid riding at a park.

We're not all "fit" riders. Some of us enjoy pedalling more than others. Long descents with some mid-run hike a bikes would be the ticket, I'd think.

I've heard Tres Hombres is great, so we'd probably be after trails like that one.

I know Rad Haus is the place to go for advice, but transporting 7 trail bikes AND 7 DH bikes, while possible, is not ideal.

mtbr member
    If it were me, I'd bring trail bikes with 2.4" meats. I don't own a DH sled though. End of June is long enough away to crack the whip on the less fit bro's.

There could easily be snow lingering up high on some of the epic rides when your down here.

Like you mention, try giving James a ring at Das Rad Haus and see if you can pick his brain about what bikes to bring.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    How long will you be in town? If its for a day or two of shuttling, I'd bring my DH bike.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    AM/Trail bikes for sure, even for the shuttle trails. Bring a FF if you like to go big.

I'd start getting a list of rides together- that will help with your gear selection!

Kind of an interesting season with xanadu being closed, and table mountain still recovering from the fires 2 years ago. There's tons of other great rides though!

Justin Vander Pol
    I'm with FM on this. Even the tougher shuttle trails around there are fun on a good trail bike, and you'd have way more fun on a lighter bike for trails like Devils Gulch or Tronson Ridge. The DH bike is only needed to hit the bigger moves on trails like Tres.

Honestly, current trail bikes are so good that DH bikes feel like overkill around here except for places like Whistler, Stevens Pass, Cypress and a couple (and there aren't many) off the radar DH shuttle spots.

It's riding in loose sand that you'll find challenging if you're from Van.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I concur, 140-160mm travel all mountain newer generation bike can handle anything in the area.
    2015 Santa Cruz Nomad III

Moto Becane Roady

2012 KTM 250 XC-W

"Trying is the first step towards failure"

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    My theory is, if I don't have to pedal, and its steep enough to go fast, Ill ride my DH bike because its fun and there is no excuse not to hit things. If the shuttles are closed, or If your staying longer and pedaling peripheral area trails, then I'd go enduro bikes, not trail bikes

mtbr member
    Alright. Looks like we'll be going with the 6" bikes.

Still not sure what trails we'll be riding, but the terrain looks a lot like Lillooet, so I'm guessing we'll be fine with our SB66C/NomadC/StumpyEVO/BlutLTc/Tracer selections.

I do not like to "huck my meat", so fast loose and flowy oughtta be alright on the Yeti.

We'll be there for friday pm, saturday all day and sunday am.

Looking forward to it.

Any trail name suggestions?