mtbr member
    May 2010

What bike(s) to bring?

So I'm moving from Alaska to Seattle for a few years and I'm not sure which bikes to bring. I'm for sure leaving my road bike I can replace it cheaply down there, but I'm not sure if I should bring my 2008 SX trail or not. I've also got a Soul cycles Dillinger that is currently rigid but I intend to replace it with a Canfield Yelli/Nimble9 or a trans am 29. I like riding downhill but don't get to often, most of my riding is long and chunky with some flow rides. I don't like to drive far to ride. I've ridden Duthie a couple times and had fun. I'm considering selling the SX trail and using the funds and parts off the Dillinger to build a more aggressive 29'er. I'll be living in kent/renton/tukwila area right by Valley Medical center. Any suggestions? Which bike(s) should I bring? Mostly I'm asking if it is worthwhile to bring the SX trail or if I should divest myself of it.

Thanks! Hope to ride with some of you around August.

Fat-tired Roadie
    Check out evergreenmtb.org.

A couple fun riding spots around your area are Tapeworm and Black Diamond. Further drives will take you to Tiger and Capitol Forest. Another spot you might want to read up on is Tokul Tree Farm.

Stevens Pass now does lift-served MTB in the summer, but I haven't checked it out. For me, it wouldn't make sense to have a bike here that I couldn't pedal up hill. If you wouldn't want the SX Trail for Duthie and you're not going to drive to somewhere you can shuttle, you may not find you use it.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    May 2010
    The SX trail has a granny ring and my normal ride on it is a 2500' climb then back down. I am pretty torn and thinking that the yelli screamy or the nimble 9 is capable of alpine rides just not as plush on the back end. I love riding DH but I'm not really into jumping probably because I'm not good at it.