mtbr member

Western WA Tire Recommendations?

I already asked this in the Wheel/Tire forum, but thought getting the opinions of those who ride in the same areas/conditions I do might be helpful.

I ride at Paradise Valley, and have a 2007 Kona Coiler. I currently have 2.35 Maxxis, I think they are Minions but not positive about the model. My rear tire is getting fairly worn down so will need to replace it before too long and thought Id see what others in my area suggest. I find when I air my rear tire down enough to see a noticeable bulge when sitting on the seat I get enough traction during climbs on wet roots, but that makes a noticeable difference in effort required for climbs in general. Of course Im really just riding for exercise and fun, not trying to win any races, so some extra effort is not really so bad.

I have read quite a few reviews and articles on line and a few that I might be interested in are

Kenda Nevegal DTC (with the thought that this version might be less slow rolling than the Stick-E version that I have read many complaints about)
    Maxxis Ignitor
    Maxxis Ardent

Id like to find some on the lighter side rather than heavy, and something fairly durable. If it could also be used tubless with a ghetto tubless conversion that would be a plus too.

Thanks for any thoughts

mtbr member
    i swear i see this thread every 3 months...

I've been happy with WTB WeirWolf up front and a Bronson on the rear, riding at Paradise & Tolt mostly.
    trust the tread

'06 Cannondale Prophet 1000
    '07 Bianchi Roger

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilely View Post
    Kenda Nevegal DTC (with the thought that this version might be less slow rolling than the Stick-E version that I have read many complaints about)
    I'd stay away from the DTC -- way too hard and slick as sh*t on the roots and wet stuff. Shell out for some minion 3c's. You can usually find them on sale at Universal. The 2.5 dhr's are about the same width as the neve-roll 2.35's, but they're way faster and more predictable in cornering. I've also been running them ghetto-tubeless with no problems (mavic 819s with stan's).

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    I'd stay away from the DTC -- way too hard and slick as sh*t on the roots and wet stuff. Shell out for some minion 3c's. You can usually find them on sale at Universal. The 2.5 dhr's are about the same width as the neve-roll 2.35's, but they're way faster and more predictable in cornering. I've also been running them ghetto-tubeless with no problems (mavic 819s with stan's).
    Me thinks you meant DHFs, not DHRs. Completely different tire.

But yeah, 2.5 Maxxis Minion EXO 3C in the front for sure. Nothing else comes close. The rear might be a debate, something slicker and faster and driftier could be fun, but the same tire (DHF) in the back is a very safe bet.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

FM
    luxatio erecta
    I'm digging some of these.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    i have some Maxxis Ignitors and although i dont have a huge frame of reference with other tires for comparisons sake here is what ill say about them.. they seem like they corner well, roll well enough, but they dont clean themselves off very well and slip on every single root i come across. i like them when its dry though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wet or Dry I've had great luck with the Panaracer Rampage SC's 2.35, they are a little lighter than the non SC and work wonders on wet roots and rocks. Made a huge difference at Tiger Mt.

For all out mud, soaking wet forest conditions with few roots or rocks Panaracer TrailRakers 2.1's have been amazing this winter in Southwest Washington. All winter long it was full traction riding, the wetter the better. They can be difficult to source locally. Ended up buying them from the UK. They should last for many seasons, so money well spent.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I"m a big fan of the Nevegal's myself, and have been running the DTC's. In contrast to the other poster I find them to be the grippiest tire I've used, although I mostly rate them in the context of loose soil climbing traction.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Schwalbe Rocket Ron's for racing...Stick E Nevegals for general riding...

mtbr member
    I pulled the trigger and bought a pair of Schwalbe Hans Dampf, 2.35 folding bead. They have not arrive yet, so cant say yet if I made a good choice or not, but I will follow up with what I think of them.

While not great research by any means, thought Id share the notes I took from this post, the other one I asked in the Wheel and Tires forum, and my own poking around.

Maxxis Minion EXO 3c great for front tire
    Minion 3c DHF great for rear tire, very heavy
    Ignitors slick on Roots, clog with mud
    Kendra Excavator
    Nevegals Stick-E recommended by LBS, slow rolling
    Nevegals DTC slick on roots (some disagreement on that), great on loose soil, good for climbing
    Schwalbe Hans Dampf Read some great reviews online, but does not seem like too many have used them

Michelin Wildgripper
    Wild Grip'R 2 Advanced
    Continental Mountain King
    WTB WeirWolf
    Panaracer Rampage SC light, work well on roots wet or dry

Continental Mountain King $24.99 2.4" folding 640g Continental Mountain King Tire '10 > Components > Tires and Tubes > Tires | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Maxxis Ardent $21.99 2.6" steel bead 1,220g Maxxis Ardent Steel Bead Tire > Components > Tires and Tubes > Tires | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Continental Mountain King Pro $27.99 2.4" folding 600g Continental Mountain King Pro Tire '10 > Components > Tires and Tubes > Tires | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Kendra Nevegals Stick-E $36.99 2.35" folding 970g Kenda Nevegal Stick-E Folding Tire > Components > Tires and Tubes > Tires | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Maxxis Minion DHR $41.00 2.5" steel bead Maxxis Minion DH Tire > Components > Tires and Tubes > Tires | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Maxxis Minion DHF $45.90 2.35" steel bead Maxxis Minion DH Tire > Components > Tires and Tubes > Tires | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop
    Schwalbe Hans Dampf $48.35 2.35" folding 760g Schwalbe Hans Dampf Performance Tire > Components > Tires and Tubes > Tires | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mfisher1971 View Post
    i swear i see this thread every 3 months...

I've been happy with WTB WeirWolf up front and a Bronson on the rear, riding at Paradise & Tolt mostly.
    Does WeirWolf get good traction on wet trails? I'm really curious.

Paradise Valley is one of my favorite trails as well.

mtbr member
    Not to bring up an older thread but it is better than starting a new one right.

I have been riding Paradise on my new 29er HT with Specialized Fast Track dual compound 29x2.00 tires. It is fine in the rear but I isn't great for the front. It doesn't hook up enough in faster, loose corners and feels like it wants to wash out. Horrible when it is wet at all. I like larger volume tires as well so I'm looking for a change at least in the front. The Alex rims I have are only 17mm internal width so I can't go too large. On my 26er I run 2.2 (more like 2.3-2.4) Trail Kings in Black Chili and love them. 29er tire availability and opinions seem to be a lot different currently.

I do plan on getting a new wheelset (Flows on Hope Pro2s?) in the near future and going wider and tubeless so I just need something for now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Maybe not apropros to your specific needs but I would like to amend my recommendation above on Nevegals. I now have a new recommendation for the PNW;

HANS DAMPF !

mtbr member
    I am really liking my HD as well. Good volume, likes to run lower pressure. Seals on ZTR Flow without stans (I lose about 3-4 psi a week). More gradual transition to the edge knobs. So far sheds mud very well. Good traction on roots. Weight is quite nice. Make sure you get the correct compound (Trailstar vs Pacestar)
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa
    ~~~KNOLLY KNATION RACING~~~

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rdhfreethought View Post
    I am really liking my HD as well. Good volume, likes to run lower pressure. Seals on ZTR Flow without stans (I lose about 3-4 psi a week). More gradual transition to the edge knobs. So far sheds mud very well. Good traction on roots. Weight is quite nice. Make sure you get the correct compound (Trailstar vs Pacestar)
    Which compound is the "correct" one then? Trailstar?

TrinityRiverKerplunk
    I'm looking for IRC Trailbears/ Missile tires from now on. The last two weekends riding the NorthShore trails, the old Missile I have is probably the best tire I've tried in years. Surprised the hell outta me. Doesn't let go in turns, corners and grips damn good on roots and rocks.
    Good friction shifting is getting hard to find nowadays....

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I just switched from Minion DHF's to Continental Mountain King II in the 2.4 size. Easiest tire I've ever mounted up tubeless. Period. Wanted to try them because of the weight, but they are out performing the Minions in every way on my Knolly DT. This is the second round of Conti tires that I've tried and have been blown away by the tread life with the Black Chili compound.

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by JMUSuperman View Post
    I just switched from Minion DHF's to Continental Mountain King II in the 2.4 size. Easiest tire I've ever mounted up tubeless. Period. Wanted to try them because of the weight, but they are out performing the Minions in every way on my Knolly DT. This is the second round of Conti tires that I've tried and have been blown away by the tread life with the Black Chili compound.
    Which Minions are they outperforming? Maxxis is now shipping the Minion 3C EXO with their MaxxTerra compound. That's 50a middle and 42a side knobs. That's a fair bit softer than the old EXO 3C which was 60a middle and 50a side (too hard for a front tire around here, IMO).

It's still not tubeless, but I no longer will run tubeless on the front on my full susser. The risk of blowing off a bead when landing a high speed jump or roller-corner a little bit tweaked isn't worth it. Done it twice, that's enough for me. I'm still a big fan of tubeless on the rear to prevent pinch flats, and I still like tubeless both sides on my SS hardtail.

I just hate the names for compounds, I wish they'd stick to numbers so we wouldn't have to dig around to figure out what we're actually buying.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com