Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Watch out for this guy

Hey folks, I don't really post on forums but thought I should give a warning about the hiker I came across today. I've recently moved up from Eugene to Issaquah for work and haven't experienced this sort of craziness on the trails before.

I was riding down the doubletrack from central park that meets up with coal creek (i think) that connects to grand ridge. There was a big older dude (in his 50s) with two small black corgi-type dogs. I stopped behind him and said "excuse me" because one of his unleashed dogs was in the other lane of the doubletrack. He turns around and just says "no, you're not passing".

I was kind of taken aback and just sat there for a sec while he blocked one lane and his dog blocked the other lane. After a minute or so of this weirdness his dog moves out of the way and I hop into that lane of doubletrack to go around him and get on the trail. The dude freaks out and straight up trucks me off my bike with a two handed shove and stands over me yelling about yielding to pedestrians. I hopped back up and shoved him, forgot what I yelled but I was equal parts pissed and surprised. He backed off for a sec so I hopped on my bike and took off. He was still screaming "come back here $$####***!!!" while I rode off.

Anyway, like I said, big older dude in a safari vest with two little black dogs. I thought people were supposed to be passive-aggressive up here, not just aggressive. Watch yourselves out there.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    That sucks...

The HOHAs of the "P"Issy Alps Club are still around but dying off so your children and your children's children should be fine...

Pretty rare to encounter one that feisty though....

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    What he did was assault and a call to 911 is warranted.

I didn't do it
    That's unusual for sure. Good work on not totally retaliating (although IMO, you had the right to), it'll just hurt the cycling image up there. I guess you should start riding with a GoPro. J/K, kinda.
    Let's eat Ted
    Let's eat, Ted
    Remember, commas save lives

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    What he did was assault and a call to 911 is warranted.
    You're probably right. I should have done it once I rode off although my description of him would be "big, white, 55 year old dude with dogs" so I guess the Issy PD would just have to arrest everyone on the trail I'm not a big fan of contacting the authorities but I'll file a police report tomorrow so there will be a record of his behavior in case he does it again. I don't want someone to get hurt because I didn't say anything.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Issy may be more concerned about the off leash dogs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by WestwardHo View Post
    You're probably right. I should have done it once I rode off although my description of him would be "big, white, 55 year old dude with dogs" so I guess the Issy PD would just have to arrest everyone on the trail I'm not a big fan of contacting the authorities but I'll file a police report tomorrow so there will be a record of his behavior in case he does it again. I don't want someone to get hurt because I didn't say anything.
    EXACTLY! Thank you for reporting him. Even without a detailed description, they have a record that some a-hole is out there doing this.
    That way when said cretin pulls this sh*t again, there is a recorded history of his violent behavior.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    That is unprovoked assault, he committed. Hunt him down...because you clearly have a case. Any witnesses, other than his two dogs?
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    get a gro pro dude

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Escaped mental patient.
    Plese repost all interactons with this guy. Be careful, you never know if he's got a gun.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Was going to say, careful w/ folks like this! seems like lots of folks packin' out there these days...

EMBA Member
    since when is a guy in his 50's an "older dude"? sheesh. we've still got a couple kicks left in the tank.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Hey, I've got nothin but respect for old man strength. Hell, that was half the reason I hopped on my bike after pushing him back a bit.

mtbr member
    Will def be on the lookout for said douche. What an assclown.

NWS
    mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    WTF. This guy needs a night in jail. Or a month of them, I'm not picky.

I5Troll
    You never know who is lurking in the woods out there. Def agree with filing a police report. This guy will probably stay away from Grand Ridge for a while, but he'll turn up somewhere else sooner or later. Since we got the new pooch, Julie and I hike and ride Coal Creek and under the power lines regularly... because we rarely see anybody. Will keep our eyes peeled.

Watch out for this guy-547340d1275511655-mike-vandeman-apprehended-uc-police-mjtrail.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2004
    okay. That's funny! Thumbs up on that one Mike...

I5Troll
    Wish I could take credit for that pic... I just stole it from the Vandeman thread: MIKE Vandeman. apprehended by UC POLICE!!!!.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    The only thing that would have been better would be a Harvey Manning shot in there with Ira Spring in the background....

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    The only thing that would have been better would be a Harvey Manning shot in there with Ira Spring in the background....
    Hahahahaha....

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    It has been nice not seeing Vandeham online since his conviction.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I had a similar experience -- well, without the shoving and semi-violence -- in Arizona last year. I came up from behind on three hikers, slowed down to walking pace, gave a very friendly "hello, biker back, would like to pass whenever you find a good spot" and this older woman was VEHEMENT that "hikers have the right of way" and she absolutely refused to yield the trail.

I guess some hikers have warped perspectives of what "yielding" means. Do they seriously expect us to walk our bikes at 2 mph for several hours until they choose a different fork in the trail? What do they do if a faster hiker comes up from behind?

In my case, staying friendly (initially), I specifically asked the woman what she expected me to do. All she would say was "I have the right of way, you can't pass me" and kept walking, not even facing me to speak to me! After saying politely, again, that I didn't want to cause any conflict, just pass when appropriate and be on my way, she ignored me. Eventually I carried my bike around her, off trail, then turned to face her and remind her that the trail she was walking was maintained largely by bikers, had very little traffic, and it didn't seem like a lot to ask of her to step aside for 5 seconds and exchange greetings. Her two friends had happily yielded the trail on my first request, and were giving this woman semi-puzzled looks.

Frustrating for sure. I think some folks just hate a group for god knows what reason, in this case mountain bikers, and there is no rational explanation/solution.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Interesting encounter.

I am very fastidious about getting off my bike and walking past hikers, even when they have already gotten off the trail - just showing respect I guess. So in my case, I would have come up behind them and gotten off my bike and been walking, at which point if they hadn't noticed me I would do the excuse me. So at that point, I am a hiker. Curious what the reaction would have been.

Anyway, maybe a technique to use next time which you eventually did, you just had to go off trail at that point since her mind was made up. But would have been interesting if she turned around the first time and you were already walking (perhaps even carrying rather that pushing).

But you're right its not rational they just want to make a stand in their little world. LIke how I might (irrationally) be a bit slow to yield the first time an e-bike wants to pass me on non-moto singletrack.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I have never once walked my bike past a hiker, and I also rarely have anything but pleasant encounters with them. In fact all negative encounters involved dogs, earbuds, or horses. Even old Audubon ladies and friendly as I roll past them at a little over walking pace.

EMBA Member
    I came up behind a female trail runner on Grand Ridge last summer. I announced myself. She continued to run down the middle of the trail without acknowledging me in any way. I followed along for maybe 100 yards, then told her I would like to pass at her convenience. She continued ignoring me. I asked her to just move over a little and I'd handle the rest. She ignored me. Finally, I told her that at the next opportunity, I was going to pass her on the left. I would announce I was passing, then I would pass, and I hoped we didn't collide, but if we did, I was not going to apologize for it. Shortly thereafter, I passed. I looked back, and it was as if I was invisible. No reaction whatsoever. Besides that one negative encounter, I've had nothing but good greetings and words with every other hiker, runner or horseman I've met along the trail. Totally strange.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast