Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2013

want to ride palisades need some info.

so i want to ride the hole palisades trail at some point this year, and had a question or two about the place. is the trail easy to follow? i see the map on evergreens website and it looks straight forward trail to follow. i just don't want to get lost out there. is the place to park way off the road? i have a car and would like to not tear the bottom of it off tiring to get to the trail head.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Including the ride up Corral Pass Road? 'Cuz that's the only way I know to do the "whole" thing... If so, there is a pullout where the White River trail pops out. Ride up the road to the top and at the lot with the hitching posts at the top, Just take the trail to the north at the end of the road. You will pass Deep Creek and then turn down upper Ranger Creek. At the shelter, stay straight instead of going right down lower Ranger. After the crazy steep/sharp switchbacks and the steps, go left on White River Trail to complete the loop. Pretty straight forward I'd say. Junctions are marked.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Bring a good map and know how to use it. There are few junctions and it is pretty straightforward as these things go, but bring a map and know how to read it. I referred to the map a couple of times the first time I did it. Most junctions are marked, but stuff happens.

If you need a good map, here's a link to some free topo maps to get you started. Most of the ride is on the Suntop quad, the rest is on the Noble Knob quad.

USDA Forest Service FSGeodata Clearinghouse - FSTopo Primary Base Series / States & Territories

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Great ride! Here's how I like to do it.
    Palisades Mountain Biking and Hiking Trail #1198

•TH: From the SR410 TH, go left onto Palisades Tr1198 and ride .1mi to White River Cutoff Tr1199.01, which leads to White Rvr Tr1199.
    •1.2mi: Go past the Buck Cr Tr1169/Snoquera Falls Tr1167 intersection. The trail turns to doubletrack near Camp Shepard, with a detour trail (look for the 'Trail' sign), which wanders above Camp Shepard. Pass the Moss Lake Nature Trail. White Rvr Tr1199 approaches SR410 at 2.6mi. Go past the Ranger Cr Tr1197 intersection at 2.9mi and the Deep Cr Tr1196 intersection at 4.4mi, then proceed to FR7174.
    •4.9mi: Go left on FR7174 and grind on up to Corral Pass.
    •10.2mi: Was that mountain biking? Not really, but go left at the T intersection, then right onto Noble Knob Tr1184 and let the gravel road be a distant memory.
    •11.3mi: Go right at the T and ride on to Mutton Mountain, then pass the Deep Cr Tr1196 intersection at 12.4mi.
    •13.6mi: Go left at the intersection with Dalles Ridge Tr1173, or continue .5mi to the Noble Knob summit. This is the highest elevation of the ride (5950') and Noble Knob Tr1184 defines the edge of the Norse Peak wilderness so do not take any trails to the right. Dalles Ridge Tr1173 covers rough, uneven ridgeline terrain.
    •14.8mi: Go left onto Ranger Cr Tr1197 and navigate steep switchbacks to the intersection with Palisades Tr1198, just past the log shelter. Go around the log shelter and then go right at the fork.
    •16.7mi: Ride along a ridge to Little Ranger Peak, then begin the Palisades traverse, winding along near the cliff face. The first of several great views is at 17.1mi and the terrain is rough enough that sightseeing should be done with feet on the ground.
    •18.7mi: Cross the wooden bridge above Snoquera Falls, then go across a clearcut and re-enter the forest.
    •19.5mi: Last great viewpoint, followed by increasingly intense switchbacks which culminate in the 'chute' at 21.3mi. Hike a bike down the stairs and .5mi of rocky switchbacks, then go to the TH.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Anyone know what the current conditions are for Corral Pass, Noble Knob and Dalles Ridge? I checked the FS report but it hasn't been updated since early April.

Mt. Baker-Snoqualmie National Forest - Alerts & Notices

mtbr member
    Great resource, thanks for this....

Quote Originally Posted by glenwallace View Post
    Bring a good map and know how to use it. There are few junctions and it is pretty straightforward as these things go, but bring a map and know how to read it. I referred to the map a couple of times the first time I did it. Most junctions are marked, but stuff happens.

If you need a good map, here's a link to some free topo maps to get you started. Most of the ride is on the Suntop quad, the rest is on the Noble Knob quad.

USDA Forest Service FSGeodata Clearinghouse - FSTopo Primary Base Series / States & Territories

mtbr member
    There's a little pull off on 410 right where Palisades ends, you don't need to drive on a forest road at all if you don't want to. Pretty simple from there to go down White River, then up the Coral Pass road. My first 410 ride was this route last year, we found it really easy to know where we were and where to go.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    If you're willing to lose the noble knob portion, you can also just climb ranger and descend palisades.

I f'ing hate that Coral Pass Rd. climb. The grade and distance isn't a lot worse than Kachess; but getting dusted out by an endless caravan of SUVs...no thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    But, it is kinda cool to see all the busted tranny fluid along the road on the way up. And, it's not as bad as riding up the Sun Top road. Or, at least that's what I keep telling myself to stay in good spirits...

mtbr member

Re: want to ride palisades need some info.

I called usfs Enumclaw because under the Alerts and Notices, Conditions, SR 410 - Mather Memorial Parkway Conditions page most of the "weakly" reports are dated 4/3!

Julie who has been there two days is looking into why the feeds we are sending the recreation foresters are not being updated to the public web page and she will get back to me.

She did say the snow level is 4000 and that corral pass road (CPR!) is 5600 and I bet road 7174 is still closed but hey someone should go take a look. JackD shared a photo of gate on 7174 CPR with a monster log just above the gate I sent to forester to bring a saw when they open the gate.

If you get up there and find dirt not snow on the trail then hopefully you can get across the ridge line. If snow you can turn down deep creek and get in some kind of a riding adventure. In the slim chance you get across the 3 miles of ridge you will hit snow down the switch backs that lead down to the shelter. It can be tough navigating in here if no one has left you prints to follow. Almost spooky I can admit from trying it a couple of years ago.

Let us know what you find!

mtbr member
    I too hate the Coral Pass climb. If I'm climbing I'll do Ranger (although you miss the pretty cool upper section), and then ride down Palisades. Now if your shuttling Corral Pass is a VERY welcome road! I plan of doing a Deep Creek/Ranger/Palisades shuttle sometime in the next few weeks.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Lynch, add Sun Top for the true "Cascade Triple Down" experience. But, really, that's only for those who have suffered/enjoyed the OG CTC experience first....

mtbr member
    I'm riding the CTC August, but we will do a big shuttle day first!
    LAst year we did Suntop, Deep Creek and Palisades in the same day, and Crystal/Ranger in the same day. Those were good times!

Deep Creek is my favorite Descent out at 410, so if you turn down there it isnt a bad thing! It is shorter than the other trails, but steeper and more rugged!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    I'm riding the CTC August, but we will do a big shuttle day first!
    LAst year we did Suntop, Deep Creek and Palisades in the same day, and Crystal/Ranger in the same day. Those were good times!

Deep Creek is my favorite Descent out at 410, so if you turn down there it isnt a bad thing! It is shorter than the other trails, but steeper and more rugged!
    I rode Deep Creek for the first and second time last year and was really impressed. To quote another rider: "It's quick and it's sick!"

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Len.Francies View Post
    I called usfs Enumclaw because under the Alerts and Notices, Conditions, SR 410 - Mather Memorial Parkway Conditions page most of the "weakly" reports are dated 4/3!

Julie who has been there two days is looking into why the feeds we are sending the recreation foresters are not being updated to the public web page and she will get back to me.

She did say the snow level is 4000 and that corral pass road (CPR!) is 5600 and I bet road 7174 is still closed but hey someone should go take a look. JackD shared a photo of gate on 7174 CPR with a monster log just above the gate I sent to forester to bring a saw when they open the gate.
    Snow at 4.000? I thought the shelter is at 4,900 feet and it's snow free.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by merlin01 View Post
    Snow at 4.000? I thought the shelter is at 4,900 feet and it's snow free.
    I looked up Gonzos post July 12th last year when we sawed between the Noble Nob trailhead and the Ranger shelter. There was one corner on the otherwise clear of snow CPR road 7174 at 5600' where it was spooky like you could slide left over the side and later that day enough cars and sun broke that up and it was then truly open. The USFS had a truck stuck or over the side two weeks before that so let's say that July 1st last year it was for sure impassible.

When we cleared (/Gonzo sawed) Palisades May 19th this year it was snow free compared to 4-6' drifts I encountered May 19th last year.

I'm guessing we are two to three weeks ahead of last year. Take 21 days off July 12th and that's my forecast right around the solstice.

So start the pagan fires and dancing...
    Last edited by Len.Francies; 06-08-2013 at 08:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Thanks Len, I going up there on Sunday. I would hate to ride up Corral and have to turn back. It sounds like the best route is to ride up Ranger past the shelter and see how far up I can get before hitting snow.

mtbr member

There you go. That is a responsible plan with a ride on trail down ranger or palisades at the end of the survey. If you have smartphone with GPS enabled on the camera app send me/we a photo at the snow and lets get that on a map so we can track the snow receding up into the shadows.

Know there is usually snow and tricky route finding that persists two to three weeks after the rest of the trail is snow free from the 3 mile mark on the noble nob trail for about a half mile down and
    Across then its been dirt to the shelter last two years. One of these years someone should blaze or flag this upper to lower link of the route before the snow hits.

Good luck! :thumbup:

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Nothing makes me happier than this exact discussion annually.....the snow melt to get on Corral Pass opening up the larger loop out there! Oh and I guess I'm the minority but I like climbing that road! Would rather it was gated at the bottom....ducks and runs for cover

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    I also prefer riding the road vs riding up Ranger/Dalles/Noble.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by yo EDDY View Post
    Would rather it was gated at the bottom....ducks and runs for cover
    I'm with you on that -- with no vehicle traffic, it's not that bad. Problem is, there's usually only about a week or so out of the year when the gate is still closed *and* the trail is melted out enough to make it ridable (or at least navigable).

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    The biggest improvement that could be made down there, short of a new singletrack connecting from Crystal to the top of Corral Pass, would be gating that road. It is kind of fun to see broken down vehicles on the road though.

Quote Originally Posted by yo EDDY View Post
    Nothing makes me happier than this exact discussion annually.....the snow melt to get on Corral Pass opening up the larger loop out there! Oh and I guess I'm the minority but I like climbing that road! Would rather it was gated at the bottom....ducks and runs for cover

I didn't do it
    I have to say that I like riding up Corral Pass Road because I usually get a pretty good ego boost from numerous attractive women who give me words to the effect of "you're the man" as they pass me in their cars. Of course any positive effects wear off after about 20 minutes when the pain returns.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I rode up ranger creek and down palisades yesterday. good ship. Tried to get to the top of the ridge above RC, we found a nice snowy spot at 5400' to chill our beers before we turned around and rode the 4k back to the truck.

There was only 3 trees down above RC to 5400'!! 18"-24" Try is two snags that will be on the trail soon too.

As of now, ride up RC and down Palisades. I rode 2/3 of the switchbacks at the bottom, again, fun ship. Nose wheelies for days.

I think i'll always ride up the trail and not the pass, because there is a reason why I ride a Mt bike and not a road bike.

Palisades felt pretty flowy too, I think I was in the air more on that trail then I am at Tiger or Grand Ridge! Plus monster trucking the Roots was a blast

Any one up for 3 in one day? Ride up RC, Down palisades, Up RC, down Deep Creek, up something, down RC!!!! 10-12 hours in the saddle!!!
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by mtbty View Post
    Any one up for 3 in one day? Ride up RC, Down palisades, Up RC, down Deep Creek, up something, down RC!!!! 10-12 hours in the saddle!!!
    Now That's a Proper Triple! :thumbup:

Thanks for report up to 5400'. That sounds like the snowfield up to the switchbacks that from below comes out on the 3 mile marker of noble nob then should be about two more weeks...

Keep showing us how to properly go outside and play! :beer:
    Last edited by Len.Francies; 06-06-2013 at 07:26 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast