mtbr member
    Jan 2013

WA staycation. need some help on picking trials.

Ok so ive got some vacation time but not a huge chunk of money to go some place, so im looking at a staycation. i am wondering what would be some good trails with in the state maybe OR that i could ride over the 9 days i want to take off.
    my list so far is
    chuckanut
    capital forest
    tiger mount
    middle fork
    skookum flats/ mission ridge
    freund loop, maybe round top.

any sugestions? not the best or most fit rider but looking to see WA state from behind my bars.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    We took our kids on tandems in Winthrop and Mazama areas. great riding for everyone!!

Beautiful area and lots to do.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    When is this happening and where do you live? (Weather, drive time, and time of year make a difference....) Planning on camping along the way? If you really want to see the state and live in the greater Seattle area, save Tiger for a weekend or weeknight. Top places for me when wanting to show off the state are:
    St Helens/Plains of Abraham
    Dungeness/Gold Creek/Adventure trail or Mount Muller Weekend
    Tri-Island tour (ACFL//Moran(Orcas)/Fort Ebey) 3 killer days
    Winthrop/Cuttthroat/Starvation/Blue Buck
    Devil's Gulch/Mission Ridge figure 8 with maybe some Red Hill/Red Devil
    Then, there's Skookum Flats/White River/Palisades weekend
    Sage Hills is still in spring shape
    Teanaway was in great conditions last weekend
    A little farther is Kettle Crest and the Blues outside Walla Walla

So much more but there is a little of everything. Coastal, temperate forest, central and eastern WA.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'm in mukilteo, prob camp from the back of my truck. Im thinking day trips on the trails. Driving is no thing. Prob be later in the year when I go, got to work up the funds.

Thanks ill look into the ones you said.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Mukilteo is perfect for the Tri-island but Orcas is closed for the summer now. Plan that in the fall when it re-opens for sure.

You can string some of them together like the Peninsula as well. Add Green Mountain to Cap Forest and others along Hood Canal. Killer paces to camp along the way too....

Temperatures are important. Late summer is high country and the coast. Fall you can start moving back into lower environs. The summer dust has had some rain on it and the kids are back in school and the trails are a lot quieter. The Taneum area comes to mind in that way.

mtbr member

Re: WA staycation. need some help on picking trials.

The west is the best come July/august.

Olympic adventure (or is discovery) trail should be less in your face climbing than Mueller but hey do both. My original home in WA was Port Angeles in late 70s (USCG). Hop on a ferry to Victoria and that's a wonderful british + pnw world and green Canadian trails are dark blue here... no idea where to go except the dump was the place back in the 2000ish time frame.

Have had great august weeks between st Helens and hood river.

St. Helens north (Seattle side) strawberry ridge out and back or up road 26 to boundary trail #1 the esst past ghost lake then left up to SB ridge (hard). Go way up to where you smell elk and turn left back west to car/free camp.

Also from this near ryan lake camp:, green river + goat mountain near ryan lake. Random hard miles. Hardest 1000' climb up goat mtn but most amazing views into mouth of st. Helens 12 miles north of the early 80s blast. 300 mph 400 degrees F. You can see where it blasted the ridge tops. Makes one feel humble...

Smith Creek + ape canyon + plains of Abe loop. 25 miles 3000'.

Boundary trail #1. Adventure avenue.... any direction... at least east from fs road 25 to shark rock... plenty big and turn around when you know you can get back to road 25.

Lewis river out and back from bottom / curley falls. 15 each way another huge day!

Plenty of boonies in this near mt. Adams area do your own homework beyond this thread...

Falls creek on way to/from hood river. Never done it but lots of good folks say it is a destination.

Dog river up then across Surveyors rdge then down oakridge. Camp at toll bridge hood river county park and nearby beer / food in parkdale dee. Jenny's favorite camp and ride 15 miles south of hood river...

Capital forest on the way home....

Riding in a summer wonderland...

(I pass the balance of my time to the ladies and gentleman from the entiat and pyramid mountain district)
    Last edited by paleo; 05-23-2014 at 10:50 PM.