mtbr member
    May 2014

WA Cascades 2 and 3 Day Backcountry Rides

The snow is melting up high and it's time to get your packs on. We ride 5000-8000' on the east side of the Cascade Mountains, chasing the snow line from Manastash Lake to Angel's Staircase.
    Our 3rd ride of the year is June 13-15. We ride to Mt Clifty, camp at Bear Creek, do a round trip to Blowout Mt, and back down into the Little Naches.
    We ride about every 3 weeks until the snow chases us out of the mountains in October. If wearing heavy boots, gaiters, a 35 lb. pack, and bringing everything you need for 3 days on your back sounds like fun, get help now! Trailers and panniers are not an option as you will occasionally carry your bike in the snow and up steep switchbacks.
    If you really want to ride and camp in the snow/mud of the Central Wa Cascades let me know.

thanks, danny05

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Hi danny05, ward here. Met you in the "Q" a couple seasons back. Had awesome fun out there again this year! Was interesting riding through the "burn" and hanging out at the bay's during "drawdown". We included the Quilomene Canyon this year, my 1st time down it in several years. Rode to Jump Off L.O. from the Cowiche Mill Rd. last weekend... returning down the old Reynolds Creek Trail. Lots of plans for the corridor between 410 and 90... including a full crossing from Wenas Lake to Enumclaw. That's my "Home Turf" as I'm from Yakima. Not as familiar with A.S. & stuff to the North though my main partner is. We are planning a Mad River/Mad Lake route later that may include some extra loops out of a base camp.

More power to ya carrying it all on your back. I don't judge folks on how they carry they're gear. Wish you guy's weren't so critical on the subject. I've seen your vid's and, IMO, you cause yourselve's just as many issues with your top heavy loads as anybody else with other methods of hauling. I've tried what you do... have you tried other methods of hauling? Yes, it's easier to carry your bike with all your stuff on your back... but it seems like you carry them allot more, even on downhills and especially through Techy stuff. I prefer spreading out the load and I use an old Gregory that I can tie it all onto if need be. To each they're own... I just don't like to make strict rules for myself on the subject... and every route is different. And now, there are tons of gear hauling options. BTW, The guy w/ the BOB trailer we were so worried about on last years full traverse of the Colockum and Quilomene pretty much kicked everybody's a$$... even through the Brushy Creek. We were amazed!

Anyhow, good luck out there and if you ever want to join us, give me a shout.

Happy trails, ward

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Also, remember, the trails on the Naches District are closed untill June 15th... poised & ready after that...

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Thanks Ward. It was great fun meeting you and the gang in the Quilomene. Nice video too! We bought trailers for our White Rim ride last Sept. We both carried 10 gal of water. Heavy! Stay in touch - I'd love to get together one of these days. I've ridden Little Bald Mt many times. I always wanted to start at Clover Spring and ride down to Meeks Table and camp. Carried/pulled our bikes for about 3 miles 2 weekends ago up by Tripod Flat, Manastash Lake and the ridge top. Take care.

Danny Coile

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Wow! you guy's do hit stuff early... you need fat bikes!! We'll keep you posted. Even if we're not traveling the same route, I'm sure we could cross path's somewhere. A few of us planning a Divide Ridge loop starting in the Tampico Area, riding to Daland Mt. and along the rest of Divide. Mostly jeep trails but great views and options to drop into the Tieton or Cowiche drainages. Nice to do those kind of trips before it gets to dry... and thats happening quick here on the East slopes.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Let me know when you're planning the Tampico ride. We'll try and make it.

Thanks, danny