Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005

W. Fork Teanaway

My wife and I were over in Cle Elum today intending to do a little work on our property, but it was a nice late fall day and we "happened" to have our bikes with us so we decided to ride a short loop in the Teanway instead.

Conditions were varied...in the shade everything was frozen and grippy, up on the open ridges where the sun was shining traction could be a bit iffy. The areas with moto chowder were interesting, the top would be frozen but it was easy to break through and experience a very sudden deceleration

We were the only car parked down by the turnaround and the only tracks we saw were from deer, elk, bobcat and bear. Given what's forecasted to come this weekend, get it now if you want some before next year.

Here are a few photos to share.

My wife stopping for a sugar boost on one of the road climbs. We hit a little snow starting at about 2700 feet, but snow was never an issue on the ride.

Views were great all around.

This greeted us about halfway down the Ridge trail. We ignored it and pushed on - nobody was out there but us.

The middle part of the ridge trail is trashed from the logging. We could see parts of it, but in other places we carried our bikes over slash. A lot of the trail has been turned into logging road. It's going to need a re-route and rebuild (I would like to help).

Here is the sign on the other side.

West Fork of the Teanaway.

Main stem of the Teanaway near the campground.

mtbr member
    What a cool November ride. Bummer about the Ridge trail though. I guess the logging company was cutting all it could before they sold us the land. How nice of them.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I tried to clear most of it and you may have seen the West end cleared before the worst part and the road. The road climb pic looks like climbing out of the northernmost part of your loop. Between the west and the Middle.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Sure did see the West end cleared. The east end is just gone...now a logging road. Good opportunity to re-route the trail a little further north. Maybe also eliminate a few of those really steep sections as they encourage the motos to roost and chew things up.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Hard to tell from the map on the DNR website, but potentially the logged part of the ridge trail is still on private property and was not included in the purchase by the State. Will have to do more digging to know for sure.

http://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/amp_teanaway_map.pdf