Thread: Voodoo child

mtbr member

Voodoo child

So what happened to the step up option after the big drop? Now it's just this little hump with no flow, is this only temporary? ?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    People were overshooting the step up, they are talking about other options for this on the Duthie Facebook page.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    yup, this is one thing that really sucks in the mountain bike world, riders ride over their head and the fix is remove that feature.

the step up was one of the best parts of V.C. I hope something gets built in it's place that is fun.

Too bad the larger step up on the left couldnt be saved and make a optional berm corner on the right.

mtbr member

Re: Voodoo child

The same thing happened on Ryan's run a few years back, I really loved that fallen tree jump before they put that new drop near the end, now, for me, it's not worth going all the way to the bottom.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    The fallen tree on Ryan's line was all rotten and falling apart. It needed to be replaced.
    Voodoo has been dumbed down quite a bit since it opened. All the gaps are filled, but it is a very popular trail so i kind of understand.

I think if stuff is going to be reworked then people should do it to HLC. That trail design is a trainwreck and nobody rides it. the first 2 features are cool but the rest doesnt flow right and just isnt fun to ride. If HLC got a facelift and was used more, maybe voodoo wouldn't be the only intermediate trail people ride.

2hi has had some work done and seems to be riding better now. We actually started doing that line again.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    The log drop near the end of Ryan's Eternal Flow was also redesigned largely due to riders getting hurt attempting that feature. It got to the point that most of the responding EMT crews knew that the shortest route to that crash site was to bushwhack it down the hill behind the pump track than trying to get to it by walking up from the bottom of the trail.

Park administrators as well as Land Managers are not really keen seeing Medic 1 showing up to their property on a regular basic (even thought many of the EMTs/firemen ride those places on a regular basis).
    The quiver: 2010 Santa Cruz Nomad, 2011 Specialized Demo II, 2011 Canfield Brothers Yelli Screamy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jdusto View Post
    The log drop near the end of Ryan's Eternal Flow was also redesigned largely due to riders getting hurt attempting that feature. It got to the point that most of the responding EMT crews knew that the shortest route to that crash site was to bushwhack it down the hill behind the pump track than trying to get to it by walking up from the bottom of the trail.

Park administrators as well as Land Managers are not really keen seeing Medic 1 showing up to their property on a regular basic (even thought many of the EMTs/firemen ride those places on a regular basis).
    I think it is weird, but however I do sort of understand that people are getting hurt more on the orange belt stuff.
    As to the newb, it looks doable when the really scary, bladkbelt **** is quite easy to see that there is no way in hell they are going to be trying that.

I think, for me, the more blue or purple belt, there should be more signage, warnings and whatever it takes to discourage the white belts to not hit that stuff until they are sure they are ready so that maybe our fun stuff doesn't get taken out due to folks not ready for it and getting hurt.

My two cents

EMBA Member
    I was in the Swedish emergency room not long ago from a fall out at Tokul, and have since been into the orthopedist at Swedish for followup appointments. Each and every time I go in there including the first time when I was kind of not in the mood to listen to it, someone or other wants to talk to me about how much business they get from Duthie Hill. Since it is promoted as a beginner place, and also family friendly, it seems to me that the suggestion for more and/or better signage is a good one.

It is like anything - people that know what they are doing make it look easy. Young people especially, but also old guys wanting to show they can still rock (I fit into this category), are going to go for it in that circumstance. I do believe each person is responsible for their choices when out on the trail, but a strong warning in advance doesn't hurt.

I5Troll
    Yeah, long dialog on FB about that step-up on VooDoo. It isn't finished. The first step was to get all the buried logs out of it and pile up all the useable dirt in the low. Next step is to build an appropriate feature... one that doesn't naturally send riders into a tree stump way past the landing. Shoot any ideas my way.

Many onsite and remote discussions with riders and educators of all skill levels about that step-up. For most it sucked. For a few it was meh. For a few it was fun. From a risk mgt perspective it failed, so it had to be changed.

The log jump on Ryan's was a different situation. It was a rotting log (as mentioned) and all the water coming down that hill backed up against it, soaking the dirt in the lip and causing it to constantly change and turn to mush... requiring constant re-work. Even armoring the lip with pavers didn't help. So it had to go.

I could talk for hours about why signs just won't work on trails like Ryan's or Voodoo. Here's a story... the drop-in ramp on Ryans started out as a drop and was a mandatory gateway/filter feature. Riders beat a path around it. Low and behold, beginners by the hundreds were soon skidding all the way down the trail. So James, Jamie & crew built a fence. Riders went around that. So we extended the fence and added the ramp so the gateway feature could be rolled. Rollable - Schmollable! Riders created a new longer path around the fence. So we extended the fence again. Eventually, riders tore down a big chunk of the fence, and used the material to landscape a really nice ride-around path. So we built an official ride-around path . And that meant that every feature on the trail had to have a ride-around. In the long-run, I'm glad it went down that way. So many more people get to ride it now.

BTW, James & Jamie (the original creators and muscle behind Ryan's Line) are planning to be out there giving the line a tune-up on Saturday. Say "Hi".

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Sorry, this thread just makes me chuckle.... Many of us painfully learned soooo much from trying to build something for everyone at Duthie. But, I for one am so over trying to appease everyone. Feel for ya Mike. Your post pretty much sums it up.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    The fallen tree on Ryan's line was all rotten and falling apart. It needed to be replaced.
    Voodoo has been dumbed down quite a bit since it opened. All the gaps are filled, but it is a very popular trail so i kind of understand.

I think if stuff is going to be reworked then people should do it to HLC. That trail design is a trainwreck and nobody rides it. the first 2 features are cool but the rest doesnt flow right and just isnt fun to ride. If HLC got a facelift and was used more, maybe voodoo wouldn't be the only intermediate trail people ride.

2hi has had some work done and seems to be riding better now. We actually started doing that line again.
    Mr. Lynch
    As the primary builder of the HLC line I really appreciate your comments. "Trainwreck" is a really great way to show your appreciation. Hundreds of hours were put into that trail by many many many people. In the pissing rain and when we would rather be riding. Thanks again for respecting the builders.

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by Largextracheese View Post
    Mr. Lynch
    As the primary builder of the HLC line I really appreciate your comments. "Trainwreck" is a really great way to show your appreciation.
    I was biting my lip on this one, since I didn't really help at all with the HLC line.
    But anyways, the builders went on to do other things- LargeExtraCheese was behind gravy train at Duthie, other builders worked on rebuild of flowtron , everybodies pitched in at Tiger, etc etc.

Riding styles change, trails get clearcut, new places to build come on line, careers change, people have kids, life happens. Is rebuilding HLC really a higher priority than Tiger, rebuilding Tokul East which is getting clearcut as we speak, or just spending time with our kids? (hint, not actually asking for feedback, I know where my time will be going)

mtbr member
    "Trainwreck" was not the right word and I want to apology for it.

HLC was a HUGE goal for me and my buddies when Duthie First open, but by the time we got good enough to ride it (or enough balls to try it), I dont think it was as the builders intended. When the bananna Hammock was put in you had a lot of people skipping the "gateway" drop, and blowing past the tables after the banana hammock, wrecking the turn.

I'm just trying to say that HLC needs a little love like the other trails seem to get.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    So is HLC going to get fixed up now too?!?!?!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Voodoo child

For what it's worth, I still think HLC is pretty fun. Besides ya can't complain anytime you get a Happy Ending!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Voodoo child

And Gravy Train has the best jumps in the park IMHO, so double props to LargeExtraCheese and all the other builders who give their valuable time and expertise for our riding benefit!

Last word is all yours...
    FWIW... HLC, Gravy and VDC are my favorite trails at Duthie. They just never get old.
    --
    -bp