Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Visiting Seattle, want to do some big rides!

Hi My names Pete and I'm from Sheffield in the UK. I will be flying out to Seattle on Monday for a conference and have added on an extra week so that I can get in some good training rides in.
    I was hoping to possibly gain some local knowledge on the best places to ride and if there are people free who want to show me what is on offer that would be great.
    I'll be flying my bike over and am hoping to enter a couple of the races that I have spotted on the evergreen calendar.

I usually race endurance cross country races 12/ 24 hour races so would like to get some nice big long all day rides in.

thanks in advance for your feedback.

cheers

Pete
    Last edited by pete.crawforth; 03-29-2013 at 09:58 AM.

mtbr member
    what are the riding conditions like at the minute? I'm Guessing there is still a fiar bit of snow around. Hoping there will be some areas worth visiting.

Just roll it......
    Sheffield Steel!! Sorry, I had to say it....Peaty is one of my favorite racers.

Yeah, we're still only into our low elevation trails for a while. Conditions right now are hero dirt and all-time (cliche's abound!). Seriously weather is good right now, but that could always change on us - it is spring after all.

Ride suggestions: Tokul West and East, Grand Ridge to Duthie, Galbraith, Black Diamond/Henry's Ridge, Anacortes.

EB

EB

JRA
    mtbr member
    Possible other suggestions include Orcas Island (Mt. Constitution) & Ancient Lakes (Wenatchee). The Tokul areas require a permit ($45) to access.

Moist and Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post
    Sheffield Steel!! Sorry, I had to say it....Peaty is one of my favorite racers.

Yeah, we're still only into our low elevation trails for a while. Conditions right now are hero dirt and all-time (cliche's abound!). Seriously weather is good right now, but that could always change on us - it is spring after all.

Ride suggestions: Tokul West and East, Grand Ridge to Duthie, Galbraith, Black Diamond/Henry's Ridge, Anacortes.

EB

EB
    Just go to Galby and force EB to show you around. It's a sincerely awesome place, and you probably won't ride it all in a day. It has a distinctly PNW flavor and a huge variety of trails.
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    All the big epics will be snowed in. You can string the fire roads at Tiger Mt. (single track isn't open yet) with Grand Ridge and Duthie and get 5-6 hrs in with plenty of climbing.

If you want to drive a bit you can head south Capital Forest has a ton of stuff and you can ride for awhile in there.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    IF you don't mind driving, some of these samplers will really show how variable the topograpgy and climates are around the greater Seattle area. Orcas, ACFL, Galby, maybe green Mountain or Capitol Forest and Ancient Lakes would be a good spring sampler.

mtbr member
    Nice, cheers for the feedback. By the sounds of it I should be able to find somewhere that is rideable. I was planning on hiring a car so I could get to see as much as possible.

Are there any people on here who are getting in good midweek training rides and dont mind me tagging along? uphill and downhill I would like to think I'm not a slouch on a bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Pete,

I can take you on a tour of the east side trails sometime next week. The ride would be about 3 hours, something like this Mountain Bike Ride Profile | 21miles near Issaquah | Times and Records | Strava. I am not an endurance athlete but I am currently upping my mileage in preparation for the summer season. I normally roll out about 3pm for a weekday ride.

You should check out Evergreen Trail Guide

Also if it helps I am from Halifax UK so I might be able to give you some UK biased info.

Let me know,

Nick

JRA
    mtbr member
    Pete - there's the Thursday evening Thrilla ride starting out of Redmond.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I rode Capitol Forest last Sunday, the standard figure 8 out of Fall Creek (MP8 - Wedekind- Crestline - GL6 to Fall Creek - Little Larch - GL6 - Lost Valley - Fall Creek) 27miles in 5 hours. Snow on C-Line (at about 1500 ft. upwards) up to peak, but melting/sloppy until under canopy. Overall great conditions considering. I also know Olympic Adventure Trail (40 mi. out/back) to be in really good shape.

mtbr member
    this is all great thanks guys, I will be reasonably pre occupied with this conference running tuesday-friday but from saturday 6th I'll free and able to ride.

Nick- I'll definitely be in touch and JRA cheers I had just spotted that on the evergreen calendar.

K.C- the olympic adventure trail looks ace.

now ive got to work out where will be the best place to stay!
    anyone fancy a lodger? haha

Just roll it......
    Pete,

If you decide to head to Bellingham, let me know. Options abound.

EB

mtbr member
    Thanks EB I'll be in touch!

mtbr member
    This thread is sure getting a lot of views, thanks to all whole have responded, looking forward to heading over. hopefully the weather will hold.

Are there any other XC racer types who have some good training loops?

mtbr member

Re: Visiting Seattle, want to do some big rides!

Pete, Nick will set you free around Seattle and he's waaay fitter than I am. I'm twitching Bellingham, Ana Cortes or capital tomorrow. Oh spring!

I'm at gmail with yes my real name if you want to chase around with some local duffers.

mtbr member
    thanks Nick and Len I'll be sure to be in touch.

i'll be looking to check out what is on the west too

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pete.crawforth View Post
    This thread is sure getting a lot of views, thanks to all whole have responded, looking forward to heading over. hopefully the weather will hold.

Are there any other XC racer types who have some good training loops?
    Do Grand Ridge / Duthie a couple times. Very good training ride. Some good climbing. Not much technical, but a good aerobic workout.

Just stay in control and keep your head up on the downhills, its an out and back. Duthie trails are mostly one way so let it rip

mtbr member
    thanks yo_eddy will be sure to check them out.

mtbr member
    I'll second hooking up with EB, and comming to Bellingham. Lots of great trails, and spring is great here, summer is too dry and dusty.
    A side trip to Orcas island, would make for a great PNW experience.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by pete.crawforth View Post
    what are the riding conditions like at the minute? I'm Guessing there is still a fiar bit of snow around. Hoping there will be some areas worth visiting.
    Snow was at 3000 ft. on the ground 2 weeks ago. It is higher now that we've had 70F the last couple days, but I haven't been to those places to say for sure.

Long rides with gpx tracks locatable via google:
    - Capitol Forest 50 miler: the race course. You could easily do 100 miles there by stringing together the various roads/trails from Capitol State Forest map for your smartphone

- 39 mile Thrilla ride: Close to Seattle and about 3500 ft. of climbing.

- Pacific Northwest Trail near Bellingham: Get the KMZ file from the PNT website, but be careful at N48 38.239 W122 17.863, where the trail has been rerouted NWHikers.net - View topic - Pacific NW Trail on Anderson Mtn; 12/27/09 & 1/21/13 update

- Snoqualmie Valley trail with Tokul East, West, and connect over to Grand-Ridge.

Enjoy! Even after a rain, it only takes ~6 hours for the trails to be alright. If it's wet, stay on multi-use trails.

mtbr member
    thanks carbonguy those gpx files will be useful.

Ive just arrived in Seattle and am enjoying the 'tropical heat' thats compared to back home anyway.

feeling horrendously jet lagged but enjoying this posh hotel.. gotta love conferences.

hopefully get in touch with a few of you guys over the next few days.

cheers

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Pete,

You can get me on 425 877 7-two-three-two.

Nick

Fat-tired Roadie
    I heard Tiger might be opening a week early this year. Not sure if that's in time for you - normally it opens on the 15th. I haven't seen anything official yet.
    "Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades." -Eddy Merckx

mtbr member
    hi guys, i'll be in touch very soon, last day of the conference tomorrow and ive got to do some final preparations for my presentation. once thats out of the way it'll be time to ride

though it looks like the weather might be on the turn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast