mtbr member
    May 2013

Visiting from Pittsburgh n want to rid

Hi I'll be in Seattle/Everett area on Thursday, May 9th and would like to ride the local trails. I am an experienced, fit rider with great technical skills. Ride a 26" sm Giant Trance XO, but not bringing it along, so would need to rent a bike. Can someone please direct me to a bike shop/other where i can rent a bike? Anyone available on Thursday morning/afternoon to play tour guide? What trails are closest/best near Seattle, more likely Everett?

Thanks! Caryn

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Welcome! Weather should be great! Look at the rental thread at the top of the WA forum for those answers... North Seattle/South Everett will be Japanese Gulch, St. Eds, Paradise Valley, or Lord Hill. A short ferry ride away from Mukilteo is Fort Ebey and the Trust lands in Langley. All fun after work style rides for a couple hours.

More info on all those and the ride calendar here:

Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance - Washington's Largest Mountain Bike Club

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks for the tips Borneo!!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Borneo, can you send me the link to the rental area? I'm a bit technologically illiterate and i can't find it on this forum. Duh!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Its the second sticky at the top of this forum...

mtbr member
    If ur not from round here, dont even waste ur time going to the stuff in Black Diamond...u wouldnt like those boring trails & besides, its always very crowded on all the mostly crappy single track out there. I would try northern parts of King County or places in Sno Co. or just get w/ Borneo, since ur super fit & want to grind out some challenging mileage. have fun, Cheers!
    Ride ON!
    Just an old bike geek. Lifelong Cyclist. MTBer since '86... "Life is a Circle"

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Caryn, if you wanted to simplify logistics you might consider renting from either Kirkland Bicycle (downtown Kirkland) or Veloce Velo on Mercer Island, and then ride either St. Ed's/Big finn Hill (xc, watch out for pedestrians; park at the QFC and just dive into the woods, don't worry about getting lost), or Duthie/Grand Ridge (free-ride and xc). I'm old and slow but might be around Thursday if you want a guide to the latter. In south Snohomish County, about 10 miles from St. Ed's, there's also Paradise Valley Conservation Area: it's so well-signed you probably could navigate there by yourself (some reasonably tech xc).

mtbr member
    Being from Western PA myself... I would recommend making the drive to Tiger Mtn, Tokul, or Galbraith if you are looking for something different than your used to.
    - Be Someone

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hi TFitz, so after a day of research, looks like Japanese Gulch is closest to Everett, where we'll be staying. That was also one of Borneo's recommendations. Any way you could ride there Thursday a.m.???? I need to figure out where i'm gonna get a bike!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Problem is, i won't have a car to get around. (BF will be using car for business, i am playing for the day!) His mtg is in Everett, that's why Japanese Gulch sounded good. must admit i'm having trouble w/logistics...finding a bike shop that i can get to (he can drop me off) but then need to ride? to trails? theres a bike shop in Arlington, but that's 29 miles from JG. If anyone has any suggestions for a bike shop near trails that i can get to easily from Everett area, please let me know!!!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Bicycle Centre on Evergreen Way maybe? Probably the closest one I think.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Get up early and have your BF drive you up to Bellingham (60 miles north of Everett). I think that Fanatik or one of the other bike shops up there rents, you'll have to call. Pedal over to Galbraith there is enough there to keep you occupied all day and it's fun stuff. When you get tired you can return the bike and walk over to one of the local brew pubs to wait for your BF to pick you up.

Trail:Galbraith - Evergreen Trail Guide

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Or, ACFL and the bike shop in Anacortes? You don't find Puget Sound views and riding like that in Pittsburgh. But, yeah, Galby is very cool. And, most trails are signed I believe.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I'm still leaning towards Japanese Gulch for proximity reasons. What are those trails like? How many miles? Do you think i could naviagate thru them on my own with a map? I really just need to fill 2-3 hrs....
    misskitty

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Sits in a drainage north of Boeing field down to Mukilteo. You can probably ride all/most of it in a couple hours, then sppend some timwe down at the beach! Go left at the bottom past the ferry terminal towards the lighthouse... Your BF can pick you up post ride at the brewery. Convenient? Yes....

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    I've only been to JG once, and don't know the bike rental prospects that far north. You probably can't get lost there, once you find the trailhead. For around here the trail tread has a lot of clay in it (reminds me of TN), but conditions should be very good this week.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    GreaT!!! most importantly Borneo, where is that Brewery????? Waiting to hear from Bicycle Center of Everett to see if they will rent me a bike....they are the closest.