mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Good job! Veloce Velo LBS in Issaquah

I hope an endorsement isn't against the rules here, but I just wanted to give an overdue two thumbs up to this shop.

I was looking for a large Niner MCR9 a few months back and e-mailed all the Niner dealers in the Seattle area, as well as an out of state mail order company. Everyone responded to my questions, but Jason G. was particularly helpful in his responses to my questions. I went with my gut instinct and ordered everything, $2600 worth, sight unseen, through Jason and to make a long story short, I've been extremely pleased with the transaction and the bike.

During the time I place the order, an unexpected delay occurred and Niner couldn't ship the frame. Jason arranged to have an existing frame, in my preferred color, shipped all the way from the east coast to his shop. They did an excellent job with cable prep when installing the BB7s and threw in a few unexpected upgrades for free. One of these unexpected upgrades was a Salsa seat post clamp that I've now learned solves a somewhat common problem with seatpost slippage.

To make a long story short, this shop and its people pleasantly surprised me. This is a high-end shop near Seattle, but the guys here were down to earth and easy for a guy like me to do business with. The experience was completely different than one I had at a different LBS here in Bellingham.

I wouldn't hesitate to do business again with this shop.

mtbr member
    May 2004

Fwiw

Evening Magazine's open poll gave them the "Best Shop" award this year I believe. So far, I have not heard any grumblings about the place like some other shops.

Last word is all yours...
    --
    -bp

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    Hey CoastieTX - Thanks for the thumbs up! Good to hear that the Niner is treating you well.

For anyone that thought we were just a road shop, please stop by and check out our mountain selection and our demo/rental fleet which includes Stumpys, Enduros, Epics, Ventana, Moots, Jamis, and now Turner. Our spare parts/small parts selection is quite good for a small shop, and my techs are top notch. Mtn clothing from Fox, Endura, Specialized and Sombrio rounds out the mix. (wow, that sounded like an ad - sorry guys)

For anyone wanting a regular group ride, we leave from the shop Saturdays mornings at 8 to ride Grand Ridge. Pace is determined by the group, but I need to be back at the shop by 10 to open, so I have to turn back depending on our speed.

It's good to hear some comments on the shop - we're almost 2 years old and I'm glad to see some success on the mountain side of the business. Mountain biking is my true passion, so when I took over as manager (feb '08) I wanted to make sure we could offer the same level of service to dirt riders as the roadies. Respected brands, knowledgeable but down-to-earth staff, love of the sport, and participation in the community should make for a solid lbs that any enthusiast could love.

Thanks everyone!
    Let me fix your bike @ ordinarybicycle.net in Louisville, CO

mtbr member

Me Too

Quote Originally Posted by CoastieTX
    I
    I wouldn't hesitate to do business again with this shop.
    I've used their service department twice. Both times they've totally hooked me up.

The first time was a 10 minute phone call. I was ready to bring the GF's bike in and they took the time to help me solve the problem over the phone. Bonus points for making the GF happy.

The 2nd time I had to bring my bike in for a fix. Even though they were 2 weeks out for repairs they were able to fix the issue in two days because they knew I was leaving for a weekend trip.

I couldn't have asked for better service.

Now if they would just get an XL Sultan in to demo
    Last edited by slomoking; 06-13-2009 at 11:04 PM.

mtbr member
    I will attest to the fact that if you break a Mavic spoke they have all of them. Maybe only one out of four shops will carry the spokes. Its worth knowing if you are so unfortunate as to break a Mavic. They also have a couple of mechanics that are pretty knowlegeable on wheels and spokes.

I have learned my lesson after busting some Mavic spokes-I am getting another wheelset...

squish is good
    Quote Originally Posted by borregokid
    I have learned my lesson after busting some Mavic spokes-I am getting another wheelset...
    Assuming you're talking about their straight pull variety. I just built up a Pro 2 hub/819 rim/DT Champion spoke wheelset and have plenty of cheap spare spokes lying around for them. Straight pull hubs and wheelsets are just too damn expensive for me to make a jump too.

And I have heard good thing about Veloce Velo too.
    Bike good, work bad.

mtbr member
    The straight pull spokes are about $5 a spoke. I am probably going to get another inexpensive "wheel" for about $200 with the same straight pull spokes. They are very strong unless you do something stupid. Fred would need to get a lot more Mavic spokes over in Eburg to match the number these guys have at Velo. In the long run DT Swiss or XTR and J spokes are cheaper.

Your Best Friend
    Where in Issaquah is this shop located? I no longer live there but I grew up there. I will be coming back for visits every now and then and would like to know where the local support is.

mtbr member
    Its over next to where the Ben Franklin used to be just south of the Front Street Market. Its only a couple blocks from the other bike shop in Issaquah.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Since people from Fluidride, Center Cycle, and Recycled Cycles were represented at Colonnade, perhaps Veloce Velo will be represented at Duthie Hill since they may need help on XC trails in the park?
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Gotta tell ya Skooks that they were represented somewhat. One of the mechs came by one day just to help out on his day off and Mikey put him with me digging the bench on the upper skinny line. Hard workeer and much appreciated. I'd take that dude's labor on the SW XC loop any day.
    As a whole, shops could give back a whole lot more than it seems like they generically do. But, that's another thread....

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Great shop

Gotta tell ya.. heard such great things that I drove up from Tacoma this weekend on an off day... Was not disappointed.

Great selection in roadies and dirt bikes.. Parts galore... great staff., very helpful.

Next season probably sees a full carbon road bike in my future and before I buy, I will be riding up the I-5 to check these guys out.

Brian

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo
    Gotta tell ya Skooks that they were represented somewhat. One of the mechs came by one day just to help out on his day off and Mikey put him with me digging the bench on the upper skinny line. Hard workeer and much appreciated. I'd take that dude's labor on the SW XC loop any day.
    As a whole, shops could give back a whole lot more than it seems like they generically do. But, that's another thread....
    Uhm well yah there are those that represented with donation, others with manpower, spreading the word, some more than others, it's all good right? i guess my stance is it's a great opportunity for Veloce Velo since they lead shop rides through Grand Ridge. Anyone knows that once Duthie's XC trails and light freeride trails get dialed in it's going to be an added part of any ride at Grand Ridge. Maybe they want to take ownership of a trail, maybe the one you flagged?

But yah you're right we're not really involved to that extent, i think somebody from the board or somebody from Evergreen has probably approached Veloce with ideas? Or perhaps they soon will... i mean who knows what page everyone is on here, but at least let's open the book as far as ideas go.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Congrats on the props V Velo

What this thread is missing is....

tact

n.

perception, discrimination, judgment, acuteness, penetration, intelligence, acumen, common sense, perspicacity, subtlety, discernment, poise, diplomacy, savoir-faire, prudence, aptness, good taste, refinement, delicacy, the ability to get along with others, finesse, horse sense*, good politics*.

Antonyms rudeness*, coarseness*, misconduct.

tact implies the skill of one who has a quick and delicate sense of what is fitting and thus avoids giving offense in dealing with persons or difficult situations it will require tact to keep him calm; poise implies composure in the face of disturbing or embarrassing situations despite the taunts of the crowd, she maintained her poise; diplomacy implies a smoothness and adroitness in dealing with others, sometimes in such a way as to gain one's own ends his lack of diplomacy lost him the contract; savoir-faire implies a ready knowledge of the right thing to do or say in any situation his savoir-faire helped advance his career

You guys forget how much these bike shops contribute every single day. Getting kids stoked on bikes, spreading the good word, usually not making much money either. I have yet to check out V. Velo but I'm going to in the future. Good job guys!
    Last edited by Largextracheese; 06-16-2009 at 10:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Largextracheese
    You guys forget how much these bike shops contribute every single day. Getting kids stoked on bikes, spreading the good word, usually not making much money either. I have yet to check out V. Velo but I'm going to in the future. Good job guys!
    It's the intangibles that make a good bike shop, certainly. It was good this thread came up to point out that there are alot of good local bike shops. I'm glad you and i are tactful enough to demonstrate reasons many people may not realize where LBS's have had and can have positive impact.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Veloce Velo is a great shop. I originally went there because they were a Niner dealer. They ordered the frame and parts and built a great bike for me to my spec. Their service, knowledge, and enthusiasm keeps me coming back. I'll do this like the old Burma shave ads: one bike at a time.

Cheers.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

Jason and his crew are very helpful

Can't saw enough about Veloce Velo. They have helped me a number of times from easy maintenance questions to more complicated warranty issues. Just recently, they even helped warranty, ship, receive and then build up a frame that they don't even carry. I appreciate the attention to detail Ed and Kinsey take in working on your bike. They'll get it right and their prices are very competitive.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I wanted to echo the above compliments. I'd never been to the shop but had read the positives on here.

I somehow pulled a spoke out of my hub during an endo at Tiger today. Stopped by Veloce Velo on the way home and they had it fixed, wheel trued and even adjusted my brakes within ten minutes.

Everyone there was incredibly helpful and clearly went out of their way. Best experience I've had in a bike shop.

I'll be going back there in the future.