mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Upper Tokul West being painted orange?

I did a quick ride of Tokul West today and it was one of the more odd rides I've had in a while. Near the bottom of Middle, I got buzzed by a 777 Emirates flight lining up to do a fly over the Boeing Classic going on at TPC on Snoq Ridge. I saw it moments later when riding down Beaver Pond but this time it was below me. Definitely something you don't see on a regular basis out here.
    Back to the topic...wondering if anyone knows about the huge amount of orange paint on the trees and roots and rocks in the upper Tokul West area. BonBon, Upper Out ack and Mousetrap all had a ton of orange paint. It appeared to me as someone was setting up for some event up there but I hadn't heard of anything. It definitely did not look like markings for logging.
    Examples...
    Upper Tokul West being painted orange?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1377288499.628115.jpg
    Upper Tokul West being painted orange?-imageuploadedbytapatalk1377288514.716406.jpg

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers,
    Mike

I didn't do it
    I don't know but bright markings in the forest always make me nervous.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    It's ugly too....

mtbr member
    I've seen similar type stuff for races. Did any events take place or are scheduled for up there?
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

Justin Vander Pol
    Yup, logging. Evergreen was contacted yesterday by Hancock about proposed logging this winter in the Upper Outback and Bon Bon zone. Looks like it may be logged in the first quarter of 2014.

This current timber harvest is limited to the area above the Outback road, so only Upper Outback zone will be impacted, not the main Outback or Steakhouse trails.

Hancock is again working with us so that the trails can be reopened as easily as possible once logging is complete. They were out there with the maps we've provided to them checking out the trails so that any logging roads they have to put in will impact trails as little as possible.

It also looks like they're moving forward with the Crazy Ivan logging over at Tokul East sometime this winter. Not quite sure on the timing of that one since it's already been delayed once.

I'll let you guys know as I hear more details.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

I didn't do it
    Thanks for the update. Guess I'll have to hit Tokul hard later this year before the trees go away.

Grrrrrr.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Booo. Knew it was going to happen eventually though. Hope they give all the trails up there the "Beaver Pond" treatment. Will be interesting if there is a view up there afterwards....

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Upper Tokul West being painted orange?

Thanks for the update...let me know if there anything I can do to help.

Cheers,
    Mike

Just roll it......
    It's a working forest, but hopefully the loggers will be careful about how big of a mess they leave for the builders.

We've been super fortunate on that front with Galby the last couple years.

EB

mtbr member
    They did a great job keeping beaver pond rideable. I'm hoping they marked the trees with the signs toleave as poles...ugly poles.