Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Slothful dirt hippie

Upper Kittitas Co 2014- Rat Pack, Ros Ridge, Teanaway, etc

OK, so just a quick update to kick off our season...

Rode my 'big' ridge loop on Monday from Ewok to the top of the ridge and back down through the race course, and discovered only 1 blow-down and maybe 3 very short sections of snow. I'd be surprised if that snow is still there now. THANK YOU to everyone who has been working on it, looking super!

Mr warmonkey will hopefully be breaking ground soon on a total re-route of the old Roslyn race course climb, a badly needed improvement not just in terms of grade but also maintenance... the mud and water ruts in there just sucked up a lot of time and effort and really didn't deliver much beyond potential cadiac arrest. Plans for the new trail include- *gasp*- multiple rolling switchbacks! Hopefully we'll find plenty of jr monkeys ready to step up if/when he makes the call for help.

Reports from Rat Pac indicate upper RP needs some saw-loving pretty badly, but on the main route the dirt should be drying out and ready to roll.

Teanaway is looking clear from the top, although I haven't been out on the ground myself yet (maybe this coming weekend?). River ridge trail has been logged out and pretty well munged up, will be interesting to see what Borneo has up his sleeve for this year's May in the 'way routing.
    Upper Kittitas Co 2014- Rat Pack, Ros Ridge, Teanaway, etc-tway04212014.jpg

Outside upper county proper but still worth mentioning: Joe Watt is opening this week on May 1st, stay tuned for report from Borneo et al (and hopefully me too if I can escape domestic duties long enough).

TICKS ARE OUT IN FORCE. Wear your Preventic collars, Biospot your neck, and be sure to include the always romantic post-outing-check with your SO.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Got some ideas for the RRT and will be heading over there Thursday after work for a pre-ride before Terzo de Watto. Then back on Sunday. Nothing a chain saw and a Rogue hoe can't fix...

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Just keep in mind that the section of RRT that was logged out is private property and not part of the Teanaway Community Forest...

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks. I'll have to look at the map closer.... still thinking of re-routing the in/out of the steeper gully section like we talked about. Who's is it? Still AFR?

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    If you look at the map on the DNR site you can see where privately held land breaks up the TCF along the river. A couple pieces belong to a guy from Port Townsend. I won't be around Sunday or I'd meet you over there. But take a look, take some pics, let me know what you're thinking. I'd be happy to help getting that rerouted, it's always been my favorite long loop from here.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Okay. I know about the chunk with the cool cabin I wanted the BBTC to "buy" when it was for sale back in the day. But, that's East of the run down to the river crossing and the old sheep herder's cabin. Then, the checkerboard down on the west end at the blue bus on Dingbat creek. Will get pics. Hope it's not too bad. Opened a bunch last summer and will simply use the skidder where they went straight down the trail...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Any updates on Rat Pac or Leavenworth / Wenatchee area riding? The weather looks to be nice up in them parts

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by dromond View Post
    Any updates on Rat Pac or Leavenworth / Wenatchee area riding? The weather looks to be nice up in them parts
    Second hand report: RP good.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr View Post
    Second hand report: RP good.
    Good enough for me. Thank you!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Firsthand report, RP awesome (watch out for the tire grabber gaps in the goofy log bridges), Roslyn Ridge awesome as well. Very basic maintenance done everywhere but keep your eyes open for spots with lots of pine needles and/or ball-bearing pinecones. Also keep an eye out for trail crews, repairs and new trail building start next week

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Watt was riding pretty well last night, better than I recall from previous opening days. The vegetation hasn't grown as much as I expected--my shins were happy about that! Lower Rattlesnake Canyon needs some TLC--too much sheetflow and gully erosion over the winter. There are a couple of blowdowns one is really big at the start of Winegars North--I was able to move a few others. I'd like to resurrect Winegars South this spring--I don't think it'll be too tough.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Oh yeah, the upper part of RP is still a mess. Probably haul the bigger Stihl up next week.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Noticed that blowdown at the bottom on Saturday too. Ridge trail is rolling great. Didn't go down into Rattlesnake this year but looped up the road from the line cabin and cut across and back down into Rattlesnake from the top.

Warmonkey, RRT is ridable.... Follow the ribbons.

Cracker-magnon
    How accessible is that big blow down, as far as getting to it with a saw? I may head up there in a little bit to ride and scout.
    [SIZE=2]"Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    It's right at the base of Winegars. It's going to take a power saw (or all your patience). i'm booked tonight, but if you want to go tomorrow let me know.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by euro-trash View Post
    It's right at the base of Winegars. It's going to take a power saw (or all your patience). i'm booked tonight, but if you want to go tomorrow let me know.
    May as well get the little one right before it for the strava kids. Would like to see more riding the ridge trail up to the right as you ride up "Loch Lorean" as Meg calls it. (North Wineger) When you get to the top and veer right to the hunting camp, go right on the old skidder (2nd one) and you will see the trail climbing to the ridge top. Drops out at the top of the climb if you went right (west) where the tree is blocking and makes a nice loop.

Cracker-magnon
    Yeah, I will definitely be riding the ridge trail whenever I am up there.
    [SIZE=2]"Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Hey guys, I live in Roslyn and am brand new to mtb. I've ridden twice. Expert dirt biker though.

I would like to offer my help on trail maintenance.

Also would like to meet and ride with other locals.

Regards

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    May as well get the little one right before it for the strava kids. Would like to see more riding the ridge trail up to the right as you ride up "Loch Lorean" as Meg calls it. (North Wineger) When you get to the top and veer right to the hunting camp, go right on the old skidder (2nd one) and you will see the trail climbing to the ridge top. Drops out at the top of the climb if you went right (west) where the tree is blocking and makes a nice loop.
    Any good maps for Joe Watt yet?

Whenever Iíve been out there and tried to follow a route described by others I seem to get redirected by the many tracks and traces. Itís a great place to be in adventure mode with no agenda, but I feel like I might be missing out on some of the best stuff.

Gary
    Kool-Aid, Kool-Aid, Taste Great... Oh Yeaahh!

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    GPSSER, can you post the kml from our ride the other day for him? That's a good start. I'll dig up a few more files for you.

The Horse Event is May 17-18, so avoid Watt that weekend (they were kind and avoided Watt for the bike race last year). if you were targeting that weekend, join the May in the Way ride instead.

Quote Originally Posted by All_talk View Post

Whenever Iíve been out there and tried to follow a route described by others I seem to get redirected by the many tracks and traces. Itís a great place to be in adventure mode with no agenda, but I feel like I might be missing out on some of the best stuff.

Gary

Slothful dirt hippie

Gary
    You've still got my cell number, right? I'll show ya the good stuffs....

mtbr member
    May 2004

Gary
    Gary, there are some great tracks mainly thanks to Meg on the Evergreen wiki. Heck, even Chris, the F&G guy we ran into out there last Saturday was using the Evergreen wiki web page map to find his way around there.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    After all the rain we had last week, how would Rat Pac be tomorrow? Thinking of headed out there just wanna avoid the muck if I can. Thanks fellas appreciate you guys starting this thread.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Rat Pac I'd think should be fine. I was stuck in the Cle Elum office today and I don't think it rained all day, but the nuclear wind should have dried what little moisture was left right out.

Not a guy, but you're welcome. :P

mtbr member
    Any opinions on this...I'll be in Cle Elum over the July 4th weekend and riding solo.

Middle Fork Teanaway Trail - Koppen Mtn Trail

I've been trying to figure out loop options on the Green Trails map and was originally planning to start a loop at Indian Campground but the link above suggests starting at Jungle Creek on FR 9701. And from what I've been able to gather via the net, the Kopppen Mtn trail can be hard to follow due to lack of use. Thoughts? Snow? Blow downs this time of year?

I'm also hoping to ride Miller Peak loop.

Is the preferred route... "The usual 17.5mi, 6100' ascent CCW loop" described in the link above. This uses FR9714 and FR113. Or do you prefer to do the loop with the 1.5 mile hike-a-bike up TR1364 described Here.

I will also try to fit in a Rat Pac day.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast