mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Was up by the White Salmon Underwood area

Memorial day weekend route that my family does every year takes us up that way. Syncline (sp) looks great. Snowden area looked real good. I know there are trails there. There has to be. I would have been tempted but the trip was a fast run up and deliver flowers. I need to go that direction someday soon and ride. Anybody ever ride the powerline roads up on Underwood?

mtbr member
    Hospital Hill and Syncline east of Bingen/White Salmon are some of the best places to ride in SW Washington. I couldn't imagine anybody riding the powerline roads with excellent singletrack and views just up the road.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I use to go hunting up there. Could be steep, fast and very technical. Depending on the time of year. I can see syncline from my Aunt and Uncles living room window. I have ridden down to Jewit creek on my old BMX bike way back in the day. Heck of a crash at the bottom. Broke an axle in the process. Still haven't figured that one out. Piled up the bike and slid to a stop just before hitting the creek. Was alone and had to carry my bike back up the hill. Not fun.
    I see that there is a cycling club that has built a bike park to the west of the shooting range now. Next time I am up that way I will have to go check it out.
    Last edited by Rick G.; 05-25-2014 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Hit the send button to early

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick G. View Post
    Memorial day weekend route that my family does every year takes us up that way. Syncline (sp) looks great. Snowden area looked real good. I know there are trails there. There has to be. I would have been tempted but the trip was a fast run up and deliver flowers. I need to go that direction someday soon and ride. Anybody ever ride the powerline roads up on Underwood?
    I actually grew up in Underwood and grew up riding dirt bikes our of our back door then changed to mountain bikes in high school and worked at local bike shops in Hood River afterwards.

The power line roads above Underwood can be used to go on very long back country rides, more like tours, all the way to White Salmon, Carson (hot springs), Wind River, Northwestern Lake area, Mt Adams and Snowden. It's very extensive. I used to go all day not seeing another person, let alone a car in the 90's and 2000's up in that area.
    There are countless single track trails rides that branch off the power line roads. Well worth looking to.