Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Unpacking Rat Pac-Cle Elum

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Arm@ndo 
#1 ·
The weather was so nice today it deserved a four hour ride. Unfortunately the lawn needed mowing badly and the bike I put away in December had some bad wheel bearings. Family committments took care of most of the rest of the day however just before sunset I headed up Cle Elum ridge to check out the snow. I finally hit the snow at Rat Pac, El-3450 feet.

This was pretty much the worst of the snow. I turned east and skipped going back down RP. The gate going up was locked as it was most of last year. The ridge road going east was mostly dry. My guess is that the snow starts at about 3600 to 4000 feet unless you are further to the west. Taneum Ridge is probably a week or two away from riding.

Anyone out there know anyone who can fix DT Swiss Hubs? My rear needs more than owner type service and needs someone with the tools to get to the sealed bearing.

See less See more
#2 ·
borregokid said:
Anyone out there know anyone who can fix DT Swiss Hubs? My rear needs more than owner type service and needs someone with the tools to get to the sealed bearing.
Cool, the snow is going away!

I've done complete a teardown on a DT hub, sockets and a small press. What bearing is giving you problems? Or do you want to do all of them? PM me if you want.

Monte

#3 ·
Woo Hoo! I was just thinking about you and waiting for this report. It was HOT up at the slopes this weeeknd! May just have to get over there in the next few weeks and make the big loop from Roslyn. Makes me feel a lot better about getting up to the slab in 3 weeks or so too. Hmmm, do you think most of the snow will be gone by the 30th? What about the run up Ewok past Contour and on up to the ridge via Crooked Tree? (It's just a bit higher up.)

Sorry about the hub, can't help you there. Basic Shimano guy....

#4 ·
Thing look like they are melting pretty fast. I looked north over into the Teanaway and could hardly see any snow at all. I dont think you would run into anysnow at all running up from Roslyn unless you got into a really shady spot. Its also drying out pretty fast, not nearly as much mud as you would think, a lot of the road looked like mid summer. I would guess crooked tree might have a little snow. The Sasse Ridge weather station is still showing 97 inches of snow and South Cle Elum Ridge has snow on the north slope.

#5 ·
Thanks again! Looks like Hawkens has beat me to the punch. Oh well. I'll be on Orcas that day. So, it isn't all bad. I'll be looking forward to the report. The upper clear cut section should be better after a good wintering over. It will still get dusty over the summer. but, this spring should still be good.

Keep the East side reports coming. I need to know when the S. Fk Manastash thaws out now. Up Shoestring, up/down S. Fk Manastash/back down and around on Keenan is a great loop.

#7 ·
Up Date on Rat Pac

Just talked to Mike-the guy who built the Rat Pac with the rest of his Pac and he rode the trail a few days ago and said it was in pretty good shape with out much snow on the trail.
The snow is definitely melting fast over here. I went over the Teanaway River yesterday and it looked like it was nearly flood stage. Tomorrow and Saturday are supposed to be in the 70's over here, maybe even 80 over in Ephrata for the race. :)

#9 ·
Just the "ball buster" Gonz. Just the "Ball Buster".....

Just kidding. Yeah, the trail is still interrupted. But, it was in better shape at the end of the season when it was more ridden in. The interruption is pretty minor and it regroups above the rock roll over and is all good the rest of the way.
Although, the RIP tombstone is missing now. As well as some of the "easy/hard" signs. There's some new ramps/drops (mostly pretty ghetto) and a fun teeter to drop thing.

May be heading over there the 13th.

#10 ·
Rat Pac is Clear

I just went back up Rat Pac this afternoon. I took my chainsaw and hiked up the trail and cleared one blowdown and a little debris. I did the whole 2.8 miles up to the road. I didnt do upper RP. It was 78 degrees and that snow that is on the first post is gone and the trail is clear. The gate is still locked but the trail is getting ridden by guys who dont need a shuttle.

You know except for that .7 miles that was taken out because of the road its still a decent little trail. Its kind of an advanced XC skill level trail and the whole downhill is over in maybe 25 minutes a little longer if throw in the upper section. I have heard a really skilled rider can do the whole thing without putting his foot down-that what I heard. :)

#11 ·
borregokid said:
I took my chainsaw and hiked up the trail and cleared one blowdown and a little debris.

You know except for that .7 miles that was taken out because of the road its still a decent little trail. Its kind of an advanced XC skill level trail and the whole downhill is over in maybe 25 minutes a little longer if throw in the upper section. I have heard a really skilled rider can do the whole thing without putting his foot down-that what I heard. :)
Good of you to help maintain trail, Borrego.
The way I see it is if everyone pitched in a little within their local area, we'd all have buff trails all the time... unfortunately, not everyone has the gumption nor the time.

Yes, the RP ride down is definitely way too quick... and, uhm, unless the trail's been considerably "built up" (technically) since last year, why would one have to put a foot down ?
One thing that I've noticed is how much the skill set of the average mountain biker has improved as a whole within the sport these past 2-4yrs. This is all thanks to the increase in technical difficulty of trails mostly driven by the highly technological improvements of the MTB industry... I'll stop now cos it's already a rant, but Interesting comments about the new developments in Roslyn on the other thread...
I remember Borneo talking 4yrs ago about his dream to retire in Roslyn if he ever won the lotto... proof is evident by seeing how much time he spends in that area every year with the family.
Although, I'd say that if I won the lotto, there'd be other spots were I'd like to retire... like a condo in Whistler, a flat in the European Riviera and a modest home either at the tippy top of Cougar Mtn. or somewhere in the SanJuans that'll be empty most time for a few yrs anyway cos I'd be traveling all over the world...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.