Thread: Umatilla Rim RR

mtbr member
    May 2004

Umatilla Rim RR

After a long day prior, why not do 30 miles and 4K the next day? Umatilla Rim trail is one of those that you can do almost all in the middle ring which helps. Stunning views and buff trail conditions don't hurt either. The trail got logged out from the Andies Prairie sno-park where we started to Nine Mile just the week before. It's a rim trail that jogs in and out of drainages along the way with great sight lines and feels 70% down hill both ways.... Do the extra credit at the SW end off Nine Mile down to the Buck Creek intersection around the Lookout. The 2 swoopy down hills are completely worth the climb back up. Highly recommended if in the area or to add to an itinerary over the Blues. Probably going to be dusty and dry real soon though. But, at the top of the Blues at 5100, will hold moisture for a while. If you like deep lush woods to wide open basalt plains in the same OAB/lollipop ride while spinning and coasting away in the middle ring, this is for you..... Amazed that it's been off the radar though it is off the beaten path. But, aren't most good rides?

mtbr member
    May 2004

mtbr member
    May 2004

mtbr member
    May 2004

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Wow, looks amazing Bob! Thanks for sharing the RR and photos.

PS: We have to teach you how to post photos (hint [IMG] [/IMG] tags):

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah, I got lazy.... Sue me.

mtbr member

Re: Umatilla Rim RR

Legal dept will be in touch. Great adventures and legal aside thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by Len.Francies; 07-02-2013 at 09:00 AM.

bro not pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Yeah, I got lazy.... Sue me.
    Weird Al Yankovic will

G O N Z

Cracker-magnon
    Directions or a GPS file? may head down from the 'burg this weekend or next
    [SIZE=2]"Life is a F@#^ing story problem, get used to it - my son.[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I don't do that GPS schtuff.... Never will. 204 south out of Milton-Freewater 6 miles past Tollgate at the top to Andies Sno-park. Trail is across the road. 3080 I also have pdf file maps of the area I got from the local ranger if you want to pm me. lagranderide.com and the local mtb club's website have info on it too. Blue Mountain Single Track Club

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Borneo, you described this as an OAB/lollipop, so I'm trying to find the lollipop. Are you suggesting to descend Nine Mile and come back up on Buck Creek ridge trail? or Buck Creek proper? If so, how do you reconnect to Nine Mile or Umatilla?

I'm also trying to calibrate to your terminology . . . you say "swooping downhill" but my topo shows Nine Mile dropping 1200 feet of vert in the final mile. 22% gradients tend to get adjectives other than "swoopy" when I describe them!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You go down 9 Mile around the lookout and down again to the 4 way with Buck Creek. Go right, out to a dirt road at the trail end maybe a mile and then right again on the pavement back up to 9 mile. It's definitely not steep and very "off the brakes" and oh so super fun. Feels like more than a mile for sure. Nothing when compared to going down and then up Burnt Cabin Trail the day before. Now, that's steep....