mtbr member

Two Trees On Ranger Creek (will clear sun 8/4)

Reported on the Sun top thread are two large trees "on ranger creek not clear if above or below shelter". I get it: he was doing his triple crown.

We are planning to shuttle up to that place we/you/them shuttlers park at and roll down to the big sticks.

If my buddy and I can catch a ride on a pickup up there let's say about 10:30-11. Pls pm if we can jump on your rig.

If anyone goes Saturday stick your tire next to tree and please report if the tree is bigger or smaller than your x" tire.

This and maybe a photo but mainly I'm deciding between a 16" bar and a 28" bar. The big un is needed for tricky forces but if tree is not too scary looking a 16" can cut up to a niner sized diameter.

For us saw junkies it means trailer and big saw about 30 lbs vs little saw in backpack about 15 lbs. Also note we are coming in at 7250 so its that trail intersection a mile up from the shelter.

If the trees are above the intersection that will be important info since we are planning to just fall down to cut the trees.

Also perhaps these could be on Palisades. The reporter was doing the "triple crown" which is crystal palisades and suntop so how did ranger get in there?

Thanks for any data (what does beta mean?) and more for a shuttle!

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    They are on Ranger. We did the triple crystal/corral pass/ranger/skookum/suntop variety. Thanks for the work.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ccwaskier View Post
    They are on Ranger. We did the triple crystal/corral pass/ranger/skookum/suntop variety. Thanks for the work.
    It would be a big help if you could add a little more info, like tree size, how far below the cabin they are, and thing else that you think would help Saw Master Len pick the right tool for the job.
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

mtbr member

Re: Two Trees On Ranger Creek (will clear sun 8/4)

Thanks for the report.

I like your route!

mtbr member

Well Pete and I had a fine day at midfork with vitaveganken and Steve. As midfork stewards of record we think the route is passable and we will monitor and likely will skip more brushing until late in the year if we choose to keep dew off humans at that point but I bet we come back strong next year and we will ask for your support then.

Sunday 8/4 Pete has the-man-plan:
    we will ride blind up from the bottom with a mid sized saw between our two packs up ranger.

We are demonstrating the work is its own reward and I'm scrubbing off some work-prison anxiety. But a lift offer would be awesome!

In related news: (Please) Help @ Tiger and you too are part of the team!

mtbr member

Thanks to Pete these 16 and 18" modest sized trees are gone.

I came up with this crude trick to estimate tree size:

Tires are measured based on outside diameter.so a 26" tire should be about 13" to the center axle and niner about 14.5.

If its bigger than the whole tire let us know that. If its inside that we can get it with a little saw.

Today Pete brought a 20" bar no problem.

These trees were very near the bottom of ranger creek but we actually shuttled to the top to make sure (packs got pretty heavy)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Two Trees On Ranger Creek (will clear sun 8/4)-uploadfromtaptalk1375664320445.jpg  

Last edited by Len.Francies; 08-06-2013 at 09:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Len / Peter,

THanks for keeping our trails free and fast! You guys are awesome! With all the shuttling going on these days, we will keep trying to find sawyers a lift uphill. Shuttlers, help these work horses out when you can!

cheers, gt

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbty View Post
    It would be a big help if you could add a little more info, like tree size, how far below the cabin they are, and thing else that you think would help Saw Master Len pick the right tool for the job.
    I emailed Graham from the sun top thread with as much info as I could recall as I didn't want to thread jack that post any further. I don't check mtbr often so I just saw this today. Sorry if this caused any extra work for you, thanks for all the work you put in to the trails they're running great.

mtbr member

CB aka Mr. Ctc: You were kinda busy but still made sure graham had your input and by now graham would have cleared them. Again I thank you and sorry for the collateral inference.

I'm grooming the next generation as I'm really just figuring out how to pedal along and guesstimate how to help a saw packing brother.

The tree sizing based on wheel outside diameter trick I just came upon after reading about 650b wheels and realizing our tire knob to knob is what we are measuring. Again its another matter to put a wheel up there but simple to say "bigger than my tire" will get our attention.

Again congrats!