Results 1 to 35 of 35
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    16

    Tronsen Ridge Information?

    I was thinking of checking out the Tronsen Ridge area. I couldn't find much information and had a couple of questions, hoping to get some info here:

    Is the Tronsen Meadow trail #1205 worth riding to get to the southern trailhead of Tronsen Ridge? I want to come in from Hiway 97.

    Is forest road 7204 good enough for a passenger car? I'd prefer not to scratch up the car. Was thinking driving to where the Tronsen Ridge trail intersects road 7204 and riding south first for an out and back might be a better choice elevation wise. I read that 5-mile road might not be in the best shape as an alternative.

    How much hike a bike is realistic on Tronsen Ridge?

    Thanks for any info.

  2. #2
    I5Troll
    Reputation: mwestra2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,305
    I'm also curious about this route. Road is labelled 7240 on the map below. Anybody driven or ridden up that road? Looks steep.

    Also, has anybody ridden or hiked the Magnet Creek trail connecting Tronsen Ridge to Hwy97 on the north end?

    Tronsen Ridge Information?-tronsenmeadow.jpg.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    278
    I had a friend out hiking there a couple weeks ago that said some of the trails were pretty torn up by motos. It was a hiker, so take that with a couple grains of salt. Tronsen ridge is a good trail, if you want to access it from 97, i'd park just southwest of the pass and then use the trails to parallel up to it (kind of by naneum). Basically, stay south of diamond head then go ride tronsen out & back. Maybe someone else can point you more exactly at what I'm talking about.

    edit: check out this map and desc for connecting trails (link)

    edit2: from same website
    Ding: From the SR97 Magnet Creek TH, Magnet Creek Tr1206 ascends 950' in the first .5mi, an unclimbable 36%. A very, very steep hike-a-bike, which is followed by 2mi of tough ascent, so parking at the FR7204 intersection with Magnet Creek Tr1206 is a good option if road conditions permit.

  4. #4
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307

    Re: Tronsen Ridge Information?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crillz View Post
    I was thinking of checking out the Tronsen Ridge area. I couldn't find much information and had a couple of questions, hoping to get some info here:

    Is the Tronsen Meadow trail #1205 worth riding to get to the southern trailhead of Tronsen Ridge? I want to come in from Hiway 97.

    Is forest road 7204 good enough for a passenger car? I'd prefer not to scratch up the car. Was thinking driving to where the Tronsen Ridge trail intersects road 7204 and riding south first for an out and back might be a better choice elevation wise. I read that 5-mile road might not be in the best shape as an alternative.

    How much hike a bike is realistic on Tronsen Ridge?

    Thanks for any info.
    Tronsen Meadow was the heart of the big fires two years ago. Have not been on the trails or the road up from 97 since then. I did ride over Mt Lillian and down Tronsen Ridge/Red Hill last summer. The trails in the burn area were eroded and loose, but mostly rideable--in the direction I did them. Would be miles of hike-a-bike the other way.

    My pics and video from last year are here: http://shiggy.smugmug.com/Other-1/de...evils-Spur-an/
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  5. #5
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307

    Re: Tronsen Ridge Information?

    Quote Originally Posted by mwestra2 View Post
    I'm also curious about this route. Road is labelled 7240 on the map below. Anybody driven or ridden up that road? Looks steep.

    Also, has anybody ridden or hiked the Magnet Creek trail connecting Tronsen Ridge to Hwy97 on the north end?

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	TronsenMeadow.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	292.0 KB 
ID:	910644.
    I have ridden down 7240 several times, and the trail that gets there. STEEEEEP! Road and trail. Much of the time the gate at the bottom is locked.

    Magnet Creek is emergency access at best.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    278
    THanks for the local intel Shiggy!

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,087
    This guidebook entry on gaining Tronsen Ridge via 7240 and the trail #1205 may be of use too: http://www.justgetout.net/Wenatchee/23156

    Lots of hike-a-bike going on that I suspect. Lots of scree judging from the pictures.

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    16
    Thanks for the information. If I end up heading that way (the long hike a bike doesn't not sound appealing if I go solo), I'll post up about it.

  9. #9
    I5Troll
    Reputation: mwestra2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,305
    Thanks all!

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    93
    I had fun out there about a month ago when it was moister. I parked my 2wd car where my GPS track starts. The views are amazing around Tronsen ridge, highly recommended. Yes, its a hike-a-bike up in places, but its not too long and then it's almost all rideable. Some burned areas up high are probably moon dust by now.
    Garmin Connect

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,087
    Now that is a good ride. I would have driven up to Haney Meadows (Ken Wilcox Horse Camp) instead and tacked in some of Tronsen Ridge instead though. Did you go east or west over Mt. Lillian? I am interested in that route, but am scared to try it going from east to west. I've hiked it and it did not appear to be pleasant at all going that direction.
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonguy View Post
    I had fun out there about a month ago when it was moister. I parked my 2wd car where my GPS track starts. The views are amazing around Tronsen ridge, highly recommended. Yes, its a hike-a-bike up in places, but its not too long and then it's almost all rideable. Some burned areas up high are probably moon dust by now.
    Garmin Connect

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    93
    Tronsen Ridge Information?-picture-123.jpg
    I rode Mt. Lillian going east, actually, had to walk a bit coming down from the top on those switchbacks. The rock formations on the way down are well worth seeing once!

    I haven't done the cool loop that's been talked about (Tronsen Meadow, Tronsen Ridge, Magnet Creek, NF7324), but it's on my radar, now. Cheers!

    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    Now that is a good ride. I would have driven up to Haney Meadows (Ken Wilcox Horse Camp) instead and tacked in some of Tronsen Ridge instead though. Did you go east or west over Mt. Lillian? I am interested in that route, but am scared to try it going from east to west. I've hiked it and it did not appear to be pleasant at all going that direction.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,087
    Quote Originally Posted by carbonguy View Post
    I rode Mt. Lillian going east, actually, had to walk a bit coming down from the top on those switchbacks. The rock formations on the way down are well worth seeing once!
    Yeah, that's what I expected. Hiking it, it looked doable going west to east, but east to west looked painful, even for hiking! The rock out there is just phenomenal isn't it? I see you went by the cool rocks on the top of Tronsen too. Those are awesome. We took our boy scouts out there for dinner last time we backpacked up there. I haven't been back out there since the fires though. Snag city I suspect and probably none too safe with all the dead trees just waiting to fall.

  14. #14
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307

    Re: Tronsen Ridge Information?

    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    Now that is a good ride. I would have driven up to Haney Meadows (Ken Wilcox Horse Camp) instead and tacked in some of Tronsen Ridge instead though. Did you go east or west over Mt. Lillian? I am interested in that route, but am scared to try it going from east to west. I've hiked it and it did not appear to be pleasant at all going that direction.
    East-west? I think of the trail being north-south.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,087
    Well, I guess the Mt. Lillian trail may have as much north-south as west-east, so maybe NW-SE? I was thinking more in terms of going from Haney Meadows/Tronsen and ending up at Mission Ridge, Beehive, and Squilchuck being mostly a west to east trek. Going away from the trees and towards the desert is automatically "east".

  16. #16
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307

    Re: Tronsen Ridge Information?

    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    Well, I guess the Mt. Lillian trail may have as much north-south as west-east, so maybe NW-SE? I was thinking more in terms of going from Haney Meadows/Tronsen and ending up at Mission Ridge, Beehive, and Squilchuck being mostly a west to east trek. Going away from the trees and towards the desert is automatically "east".
    And I was headed the other way, north to Tronsen and Red Hill from Beehive.

    Every day I look west at the cliff face of Mt Lillian so that is an overall N/S ridge.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,087
    The Mt. Lillian trail still goes as much east-west as north-south. Check out the map. About a mile east-west and somewhat less than that for north-south. You are correct about the face of Mt. Lillian though; it is pretty much north-south as is Tronsen Ridge.



    Tronsen Ridge Information?-mt-lillian-trail.jpg

    Oh, and I *really* need to ride instead of quibbling over the overall direction that Haney Meadows is from Mission Ridge! I hope to hit Hansen Ridge tomorrow and the Middle Fork Snoqualmie on Sunday.

  18. #18
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307

    Re: Tronsen Ridge Information?

    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    The Mt. Lillian trail still goes as much east-west as north-south. Check out the map. About a mile east-west and somewhat less than that for north-south. You are correct about the face of Mt. Lillian though; it is pretty much north-south as is Tronsen Ridge.



    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mt Lillian Trail.jpg 
Views:	243 
Size:	366.3 KB 
ID:	911002

    Oh, and I *really* need to ride instead of quibbling over the overall direction that Haney Meadows is from Mission Ridge! I hope to hit Hansen Ridge tomorrow and the Middle Fork Snoqualmie on Sunday.
    North if heading for Tronsen Ridge. East if heading for Beehive. No argument about Mission Ridge being east of Lillian.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  19. #19
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Looks like I will be riding Mt Lillian/Tronsen Ridge/Red Hill from lower DG tomorrow afternoon.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  20. #20
    Last word is all yours...
    Reputation: r1de's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,091
    Quote Originally Posted by mwestra2 View Post
    Thanks all!
    As an experiment, I'm curious to know if anybody is willing to add any of this information here: Trail Finder
    --
    -bp

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,087
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    Looks like I will be riding Mt Lillian/Tronsen Ridge/Red Hill from lower DG tomorrow afternoon.
    Shiggy, how did it go? I'm over in L-worth now and looking for something to ride up there. I have not gone out Tronsen/Red Hill/Red Hill Spur back to DG before, but I'm wondering if starting at the lower DG trailhead is going to be too much and too hot unless I get started at 0 dark thirty.

  22. #22
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    Too hot yesterday. First time this year that the heat affected me. Even bailed on the bailout route.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,087
    Ugh. That does not bode well for me either then. It's hard for me to get started early enough and having spent many years in the moist cool of western WA, the heat hits hard. Perhaps I can coax my shuttle driver to drive me up to Blewett Pass and start from up the logging roads a bit to shave off ascent and pick me up at bottom of DG.

  24. #24
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307
    I would start at Haney Meadows to minimize the climbs.
    Descend Red Hill to Sand Creek CG for your pick up. You will enjoy having the relatively buff descent at the end.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,087
    I was thinking of Tronsen -> Red Hill -> Red Hill Spur --> DG and out that way. Is the Red Hill Spur trail a good one? I haven't been on it before, but have been on the lower part of Red Hill from Sand Creek when it was just a little bit too wet to ride. Which of the two would be the better ride?

    I am not sure I want my wife driving the road to Haney Meadows, specifically that narrow rocky bowl that we have to traverse. I think I could get to a point just before that though and cut a bunch out and have a nice warm up ride. From the topo, it looks like that is about 5000' or so, cutting out another 900' from Blewett.

  26. #26
    FM
    FM is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: FM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    9,286
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    I am not sure I want my wife driving the road to Haney Meadows, specifically that narrow rocky bowl that we have to traverse. I think I could get to a point just before that though and cut a bunch out and have a nice warm up ride. From the topo, it looks like that is about 5000' or so, cutting out another 900' from Blewett.
    You could contact Osprey rafting and see if one of the guides could shuttle you up there from Casahmere. They have done it in the past for the Hucks Supernatural events.

    I haven't ridden those trails since the table mountain fire and would love a conditions report!

    I did ride up devils, down mission saturday AM. Wow, Mission ridge is in really bad shape due to moto damage.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    278
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    I was thinking of Tronsen -> Red Hill -> Red Hill Spur --> DG and out that way. Is the Red Hill Spur trail a good one? I haven't been on it before, but have been on the lower part of Red Hill from Sand Creek when it was just a little bit too wet to ride. Which of the two would be the better ride?

    I am not sure I want my wife driving the road to Haney Meadows, specifically that narrow rocky bowl that we have to traverse. I think I could get to a point just before that though and cut a bunch out and have a nice warm up ride. From the topo, it looks like that is about 5000' or so, cutting out another 900' from Blewett.
    I've ridden the lower Red Hill loop a couple times this year. It's great trails in there. The only loose/crappy part is just towards DG from the intersection with the Upper/Lower Red Hill and Red Hill Spur. It's a short section and the loose part is mostly downhill. I'd say you can't go wrong either way going down Red Hill to DG or to Sand Creek. If you have the legs, go down the Spur to DG, then take Red-devil back to Sand Creek. I love that trail!

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,087
    Quote Originally Posted by trees4me View Post
    I've ridden the lower Red Hill loop a couple times this year. It's great trails in there. The only loose/crappy part is just towards DG from the intersection with the Upper/Lower Red Hill and Red Hill Spur. It's a short section and the loose part is mostly downhill. I'd say you can't go wrong either way going down Red Hill to DG or to Sand Creek. If you have the legs, go down the Spur to DG, then take Red-devil back to Sand Creek. I love that trail!
    Thanks! I'll see how I feel when I get there. Although I'll have the wife waiting at lower DG anyway and it will be 2:00 or so (and hotter than the blue blazes) by the time I get there.

    Wish me luck!

  29. #29
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,087
    I got my shuttle (thanks wifey!) to drive the sketchy scree slope, which actually was in the best shape I have ever seen. So, I started at Haney Meadows and added a side trip up Mt. Lillian from the west. Tronsen Ridge is a degree or two harder than Mission Ridge, IMO. The steeps steeper, the exposure more so, more moto chunder, rockier, looser, etc. I can't believe I subjected scouts to hiking down to the Red Hill intersection and back a few years ago. Mea culpa.

    There was significantly more uphill than I expected and I missed my arrival at the DG trailhead by about an hour. It was a good ride. I'll have pictures perhaps tomorrow of the trail and burned areas.

    I don't think I could do a full Devils Gulch up and then over to Haney and down (sort of) Tronsen in one shot, especially in this heat. Kudos to shiggy for making it as far as he did from the No. 2 Canyon entrance!

  30. #30
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307

    Re: Tronsen Ridge Information?

    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    I got my shuttle (thanks wifey!) to drive the sketchy scree slope, which actually was in the best shape I have ever seen. So, I started at Haney Meadows and added a side trip up Mt. Lillian from the west. Tronsen Ridge is a degree or two harder than Mission Ridge, IMO. The steeps steeper, the exposure more so, more moto chunder, rockier, looser, etc. I can't believe I subjected scouts to hiking down to the Red Hill intersection and back a few years ago. Mea culpa.

    There was significantly more uphill than I expected and I missed my arrival at the DG trailhead by about an hour. It was a good ride. I'll have pictures perhaps tomorrow of the trail and burned areas.

    I don't think I could do a full Devils Gulch up and then over to Haney and down (sort of) Tronsen in one shot, especially in this heat. Kudos to shiggy for making it as far as he did from the No. 2 Canyon entrance!
    Good job. It is never an easy ride.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  31. #31
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,087
    Instead of picking and choosing the photos, I combined them into a ~10 minute video on YouTube. I took 100+ photos and pared them down a bit (not enough upon reviewing the video, but oh well) and added in the two videos I took on the ridge to Mt. Lillian.



    The first part shows the fire devastation going up from Haney Meadows/Mt. Lillian to the Tronsen Ridge trail head. From there, it's just views, trail conditions, rocks, and more views.

    I hope you enjoy it.

  32. #32
    Last word is all yours...
    Reputation: r1de's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,091
    Quote Originally Posted by r1de View Post
    As an experiment, I'm curious to know if anybody is willing to add any of this information here: Trail Finder
    Name:  th.jpeg
Views: 63
Size:  15.7 KB

    lol.
    --
    -bp

  33. #33
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,087

  34. #34
    Last word is all yours...
    Reputation: r1de's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,091
    Quote Originally Posted by DRSpalding View Post
    Way to go Dan! Thanks for adding the Ride Report! It looks awesome, BTW. If you don't mind, I linked your video directly into the Devil's/Mission page.

    This raises a good question for Tronsen: should we add a stand-alone Tronsen page, or just update the Devil's Gulch / Mission Ridge page to include it (and perhaps Red Hill)? Ideally, we group trails together if they have a common trailhead; it makes it easier for new riders + the map view (and ride reports). So I'm leaning towards the latter, but what do you all think?
    --
    -bp

  35. #35
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,307

    Re: Tronsen Ridge Information?

    Quote Originally Posted by r1de View Post
    Way to go Dan! Thanks for adding the Ride Report! It looks awesome, BTW. If you don't mind, I linked your video directly into the Devil's/Mission page.

    This raises a good question for Tronsen: should we add a stand-alone Tronsen page, or just update the Devil's Gulch / Mission Ridge page to include it (and perhaps Red Hill)? Ideally, we group trails together if they have a common trailhead; it makes it easier for new riders + the map view (and ride reports). So I'm leaning towards the latter, but what do you all think?
    Adding Tronsen to DG/RH makes for a massive loop, and has a common trailhead only if ridden as a loop. Few riders would attempt it.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 61
    Last Post: 08-26-2013, 08:42 AM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-09-2013, 11:44 AM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-07-2013, 06:44 PM
  4. RR: Devil's Gulch, Mt. Lillian, Tronsen, Red Hill
    By buckhorn in forum Washington
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-21-2012, 11:49 AM
  5. Bobcat Ridge and Reservoir Ridge Natural Areas CLOSED
    By fcna in forum Colorado - Front Range
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-11-2011, 09:56 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •