I5Troll

Trans US Project

Hey All, Some riders need advice on riding WA south to north -- as much singletrack as possible. Wondering if any of y'all can help.. or maybe you've even planned a route in the past. I heard there is this thing called the Pacific Cycling Trail... the guys in Winthrop told me about it .

3 riders from France are bike-packing from San Diego to Whistler from June to September this summer, and are in the process of finalizing their route. Website for the project here - www.trans-us.com (in French but you get the idea).

Planning on heading up through Washington from Hood River, before crossing the border into Canada at Sumas, then up to Squamish and Whistler. Is there any chance you could help them out with a GPS route up through Washington state? Looking to take in as much singletrack as possible, whilst maintaining a "reasonably" direct route

(They were unable to post here, but should be able to reply to the thread now).

Thanks,
    Mike

mtbr member
    wasnt there a big thread about crossing the state that way? Seemed like a route was mostly planned. Might be a good starting point.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member

Re: Trans US Project

I heard of the "Perfect Cycling Trail" all through the best part of the state from the windsurfer lady in Hood River 13 years ago.

I think she was talking about something else though. %~}™.

Seriously Tyler had a great thread on this last year with tons of legit ideas from solid citizens. Can one of you solid citizens remind us with a relink?

(Thx in advance)

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    Rolland

I5Troll
    Thanks for the link. I can't get the WAMBR.org page to work though. http://wambr.org/route.html.

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    It definitely seems to be missing. There's a silent tweeter account:

https://twitter.com/wambr_trail

But luckily you have friends like me in the Internet business , the old web site is here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20140105...p://wambr.org/

And the route is here:

https://web.archive.org/web/20131206...org/route.html
    Rolland

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hi all,
    Thanks very much for your posts, as well as the link to the trans washington trail.
    However, we're looking to ride due north from Hood River, staying on the western side of Alpine Lakes, Glacier park, and North Cascades (unless you strongly recommend going further east).
    Thanks again for all your help.
    Finn, Trans US.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Transrocheuses, generally, the west side of the Cascades is cities, pavement, and private forest lands (tree farms). If you’re looking to ride trails/dirt roads you need to go east. Straight north from Hood River is national forest land and you’ll ride, generally, by Mt. Adams, St. Helens, and Rainer. Obviously if your goal is to end up in Whistler you’ll need to ride west at some point and this will be on pavement. Personally, I think going north from Rainer east of the Cascade Crest and taking Highway 20 west would be more fun but also more difficult.

That Waters Guy
    Jan 2004
    I agree with Greydon's statement. That said, there's certainly beautiful riding south to north from Hood River staying on the West side of the Cascades, but the road percentage will be high once you get north of Mt. St. Helens.

The problem isn't private timber land per se, but rather that the connection between drainages is poor. Nonetheless, it looks like you might be able to get from Randle to Mineral Lake ending up on NFD road, but from there it's mostly either pavement or desperate stitching of bits and pieces of single and dirt roads.

Also, many of those rural roads are not terribly safe for bicyclists.
    Rolland

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    If trail is what they are after then there ant no way to link trails on the west side of the mtns north of Greenwater/Hwy 410. It would be mostly road riding to and from our west side flat land snake trails.

Have to cross to the east side at Hwy 12 or Greenwater and head up north from there and cross the boarder on Hwy 97 if they want to stat on trails.

From what I've look at the WA MTB route "flows" best north to south.
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hi there,
    Thanks for all your replies and help !
    Quick question - You say the WA MTB route flows better north to south, but does it remain a good route south to north ? Maybe with a few modifications ? If any of you guys can help us out with recommendations we'd be very grateful.
    We're currently working our way up through California, riding some great trails, meeting some great people.
    The GPS route, photos and day to day blog are on the website at trans-us.com
    Thanks,
    Finn

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    AFAIK: no one has done a N->S (or SN) bikepack on trails through WA. At least no one has owned up to it on bikepacking.net. The WAMBR route was a beta and is not doable as such: some trails are closed to bikes, other trails are snowmobile only (ie. not maintained), and other connections are through wilderness.

Good luck!

My only, albeit lame suggestion, is to download the WA Backcountry Discovery Route, add some trail here and there, and at its northern terminus connect to the Kettle Valley trail in BC to Vancouver.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Hi there,
    Thanks for all your replies and suggestions, and sorry for my late replies. We only have internet access every few days. We're currently in Yosemite, heading north tomorrow for Lake Tahoe, Downieville, etc. ))
    Could anyone out there give us a bit more detail on which parts of the WAMBR are accessible/doable south-north ? And maybe some suggestions for alternatives for the parts that are wilderness/closed to bikes/etc. ?
    Thank you !!

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    ry to raid this thread but reading this thread just isnfrustrating. In how all the Wilderness laws were altered to ban bikes and how decades of anti-bike legislation in the backcountry closing up access has taken the option of routing such a memorable ride pretty much off the table. Am sure a route can be done mostly by using various moto-trails on the east side of the cascades. But to me the fact that it likely would take you along chewed up trail and bypass preferable scenic country especially the further north you get in Wa. Well it's just sad...
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../