Thread: Trans-Tokul RR

mtbr member
    May 2004

Trans-Tokul RR

Got out and spun a loop CCW around the Tokuls and across the top via Golden Spike. GS was pretty darn good considering and I stopped to do some brushing from the creek crossing to the road in the middle as I heard from Agate that it was getting grown in the week before when I was clearing the power line crossing section. More to come. Thanks to McCracken and Slop I would believe for doing some brushing around lower Outback etc. Maybe I can talk you two into running the whacker/blower down Poopy D?
    The lack of rain is showing, especially in the open areas like Beaver Pond. Dang, that's the most marbles I've seen in a long time. Trails in the woods are still real good though. Nice to see everything is getting a lot of bike traffic but only a few cars in the Roundabout lot and off 356th as well. great night to be out though and cooler in the woods than I would have expected.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Thanks to McCracken and Slop I would believe for doing some brushing around lower Outback etc. Maybe I can talk you two into running the whacker/blower down Poopy D?
    Gonna take good beer to get this one done, Borneo...and it'll have to be in August.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks Bob for clearing out the upper part of Golden Spike between the road end and the powerline. Much appreciated! I did the CCW loop last night too, and I had a blast with the cooler air and the moisture coming back up. Beaver Pond is going to need some weed whacking too, with whatever that crap weed is growing in the clearcut now. Of course, getting rid of even that little bit of shade from the weeds is going to make it even drier on the trail.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by slop View Post
    Gonna take good beer to get this one done, Borneo...and it'll have to be in August.
    I have a feeling it will be a case... So bummed that I have to keep riding Middle instead.

mtbr member
    Doesn't need to be a case, just good. We can get on it when I return.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Really good beer...indeed. ;-) It'd be great to make a team outing. The Outback clearing took the most gas I've ever used up there. I can usually get it with one tank on my weed whacker...Outback alone took 3 tanks of gas. The lack of a Junaurary cold weather has resulted in an explosion of plants up there. I'm off to Montana next week for some riding and fishing... :-)

Maybe once we all get back in town...do some defuzzing of trails, getting the trail signs back up and getting trail signs installed at Tokul East. That's if Hancock doesn't shut down the woods for fire danger.

Cheers,
    Mike

V-Shaped Rut
    Is there a trail map of tokul somewhere? Been meaning to get out there again but I've only had one 'guided tour' and I'd like to go solo and not worry about getting lost.

mtbr member
    Here you go.
    T west is missing Tokyo Drift. It's below, above, around, and through pink ribbon.
    T east...crazy Ivan and Midtown are a little different since the map is from before the logging.

Trans-Tokul RR-image.jpg

Trans-Tokul RR-image.jpg

Peter

V-Shaped Rut
    Thank you sir! You were my tourguide of course.

Quote Originally Posted by slop View Post
    Here you go.
    T west is missing Tokyo Drift. It's below, above, around, and through pink ribbon.
    T east...crazy Ivan and Midtown are a little different since the map is from before the logging.

Peter

EMBA Member
    Also, Tokul West Full Bench trail goes onto private property so that's a down and back if you ride it. It used to go into a lower network of trails that got closed, then logged. Too bad. I liked those trails. Last time I was on it (quite a while ago), I got sliced up by all the overgrown sticker vines so unless there has been some brushing, I'd stay off it. I have never been on Kamikazi or Clear Cut and I'd heard/been told they were totally overgrown, but as this is a more up to date map than I've seen before, I'm going to check it out next time I'm out. By the looks of the map, they must be STEEP! YA! Is Ben and Jerry the trail also known as Jerry Springer? Must be. There are also a couple short but very fun trails down from the SVT to the road below. The one opened up not long ago is especially fun. One starts right near the Ben and Jerry exit to SVT, and the other starts a short ways east of there.

mtbr member
    You're welcome. Heading to SLT next week for some Rim Trail, etc riding

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Full Bench is effectively abandoned for now...
    Yes, Ben and Jerry is Jerry Springer. Poopee Dee is really Poopy D, and you will find Kamikaze nothing like you thought it was before.... Go right at the "Y" as the left isn't finished yet. Not sure about Clear Cut though my eyes are on a climbing trail from the bridge area to the top of Kamikaze some day for those parking at the 356th Lot. The new re-opened trail from the SVT to the access road is Banzai Pipeline and is indeed fun. I believe the "spine" portion will be getting a little re-route this fall/winter to make it a little "safer".

mtbr member
    Still haven't cleaned the "Spine". Ugh.

Hit most of TE Wednesday night and was surprised at how well Flowtron and the open sections Midtown were holding up. It's loose for sure but no worse than May and very ride-able.

Went down gun range to the clear-cut road. The road is approaching jungle level as the trees grow up on both sides and down the middle. A lot of ducking and dodging. By next year it will be single-track if cleared right.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hmmm, not the same report I got from some Mid-Town lovers a couple evenings ago. said it was blown out and they wouldn't be back until it got some rain... should have ridden FT3K but figured it would be marble city.

Did you go up Bandwagon by any chance? I have a feeling that needs some love too.

Poll on the possibly pending Fire danger closure? Need rain.

mtbr member
    We have been avoiding TE because we figured it was blown out and loose.
    Sounds like some cool stuff is being done and TW though, so I may have to give that one another shot!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    I was expecting blow-out-city but it was OK. Definitely had to pick lines carefully on a few MT switchbacks but that's like 30 seconds of that trail. When I think blown-out, I think Bend in August.

No on Bandwagon...took the road.

Rain would be good but still looks pretty green in the trees Still water in the drainages except the one on the crossover to MT/Ivan.

mtbr member

Tokul East Update

Went to East Friday evening and the dirt was truly sweet. Still some looseness on FT3K but nothing like before. Mid-town sweet. Lower Ivan minty. Get it while you can before the heat comes back. Always love this view.
    Trans-Tokul RR-wp_20140725_001-1024x576-.jpg

Also, there was a saw level blow down about 5 seconds into Bobsled climb last week. FYI.
    Trans-Tokul RR-wp_20140718_001-1024x576-.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Rode both last Friday too. FT3K was faster than I thought it would be. Safety First was amazing. Big kudos to McCracken for clearing it. Mid... was already drying out in the open sections but the rest was "better". Needs re-benching in a bad way.

Will see about getting to that tree on Bobsled tomorrow maybe.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Trans-Tokul RR

East was indeed minty Friday. Really, really good in fact. Needs some trimming tho: Last Frontier (a bit of blackberries and grasses), Mid OGDH (pretty bad before the creek crossing), the rocky road up from top of powerlines to XC Ivan/Midtown start (the grass is head high), X/C Ivan (a bit of blackberries at the start).

I won't be able to go up for a few weeks, but happy to help when I can if we can get a work party going.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks for the kudo's on Tokul East work. as nSteele will attest to...that was some of the toughest trails to clear.

I took care of that small tree on Bobsled last Thursday with just a hand saw a couple local riders to help out.

Slop & I are heading up there today to enjoy the trails and scope out next projects.

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Not sure what the plan is for Dodgeball as it is really overgrown now but I would really like to pop through that short connector from Safety First to Bandwagon. Would make for a much longer descent over there. Maybe 50-60 feet left at the very bottom out to the road and across would be cool.
    Assuming you both will be looking at the Pink Beaver connector across the clear cut before it starts growing in too much?

mtbr member
    Exposed Mid-town back to being pretty loose as of tonight. Every trail in the trees was sweet. Agree, that Safety is fast. Great work.