mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Trails near Mt. Adams

Hello Washingtonians,

I'll be climbing Mt. Adams this summer, and looking to do 1 ride after the summit day before heading home. I'm looking for suggestions for an out and back or a loop trail in the area, around 10-20 miles depending on difficulty. A few searches found trails such as Gotchen Creek, but I'm hoping to gather more information overall. Is there a must hit trail in this area?

Thanks!

6'4"-6'9" with the afro
    Where are you coming from? Depending on your route here it may make a difference on what trails you'd be near. An epic option might be Ape Canyon/Plains of Abraham. Kudos for being in condition to hit a big ride after climbing Adams. I've summited a few times and never felt like hopping on my bike right after. Hell, leave you bike at home and bag Rainier or Hood instead. Another resource is the trail wiki at evergreenmtb.org.

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hi Fletch, we'll be heading back down south on I-5 at the end of the trip.

I see that you and I are on the same page when you mentioned Plains of Abraham. We summited Helens last summer, and then rode from Ape Canyon to the Plains of Abraham the next day. Similar format this year, a little different because of the night spent on Adam's, but we'd like a new route for the biking this time. Anything you can suggest that's worth riding other than Plains in that same region?

Thanks & Cheers

mtbr member

The riding west of Mt Adams is amazing...

When in the summer are you planning to climb Mt Adams? Typically the road into the Cold Springs TH to climb Mt Adams doesn't open up until late June or early July and most of the trails in this area may still be covered in snow.

What bike will you be riding? Most of the trails in the area are open to motos and can get pretty rough.

Let me know what you are looking for in a ride.
    Last edited by OldHouseMan; 03-14-2012 at 01:12 PM.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Adams Epic

If the ride near Adams is going to include any part of the Boundary Trail, make sure you do plenty of recon in advance. This is a totally different animal that Ape Canyon and the Plains of Abraham.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    thanks guys, we're targeting mid-July. Based on what we've read, this should be a good time for the climb.

for the ride, I'd like to pick something not too technical, as the group ranges in skill level. Plains was a good fit for us last year, mostly smooth trails with some climbing. We're thinking around 15 miles and 2000ft or less of climbing. I'm riding 5" FS, most are the same, but a few that ride less often may be on hardtails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Check out the Old Man Pass/Falls Creek ride and of course Lewis River trail.

mtbr member
    leave the bike and take your snowboard. Mid-July will see a TON of snow up on Adams still. It's fun to slide on the ass but you could be carving turns for 2000ft vert +

You could ride at Post Canyon in Hood River or Snycline on the WA side. These rides are both in the Columbia River Gorge

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I looked these up, and they all sound like great options. If you had to pick one, between Old Man Pass, Falls Creek, and Lewis River trail, is there a clear winner?

mtbr member
    As Jim from CR mentioned, the trails west of Mt Adams are fairly technical due to the terrain and most are open to motos. I'd also wager to bet that most will still be under some snow in mid July. The section of the Boundary Trail north of Elk Pass is pretty much nontechnical, but again, it'll probably still have snow.

As far as Lewis River vs Falls Creek...I prefer Lewis River, it's scenic and I like the trail. A lot of people will probably say Falls Creek though, it's mostly downhill but don't be fooled, it has some climbing. The one drawback, for me at least, it does have some double track.

You'll also be close to the trails around Mt Hood off of FR 44.

mtbr member
    And the upper TH of Falls Creek Trail is at the Old Man Pass sno-park.

mtbr member
    Falls Creek has a ripping descent at the end. We drop a car on the road at the bottom to avoid the road ride back up though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Lewis River or Falls Creek

Tough one. They are very different trails.

I prefer Falls Creek. It has a straight-forward six-mile climb at the start that isn't real demanding. Most people love the ripping finish, but my favorite sections are the rock gardens. The one drawback to Falls Creek is that the single-track is interrupted by road in places and it can be a little difficult to quickly find the next section.

Lewis River is definitely scenic. It's also deceptively difficult and sketchy in spots. There are a ton of short, intense interval climbs on the way out to the Lower Falls and on the way back. Those can eat you up in warm weather. On the positive side, it's an out-and-back so you can turn around whenever you want.

mtbr member
    If it were not for the several double track sections, I'd give a slight nod to Falls Creek.

FKA Malibu412
    My nod would go to Falls Creek but unless you are riding with someone familiar with the route, you might spend considerable time hunting and pecking for the trail segments that are adjoined by double track and might miss a connection altogether.

Lewis River is a simple out-and-back single track (or loop the road back), very scenic and has some nice flow. I would recommend it for people visiting without an experienced guide as it is tough to get lost on.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    None of us have ever ridden in this area, so we will probably lean towards Lewis River out of those two. I think the flexibility of the out and back is nice as well.

If there's any other suggestions, we're open to that as well.

Thanks again!