Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Trail signage?

mtbr member
    May 2004

Trail signage?

Some people are thinking about getting some signage out there for all your location awareness programs. Wondering if there are any preferences on what is appropriate and not obtrusive. Thinking the usual FS style routed trail name on 3"-4" wide boards and affixed to trees at the trail entrance versus digging post holes would be enough. Questions? Comments? I've tried can lids affixed by wire to branches before (Did 46 of them in Tolt at one point) but they have a habit of disappearing. Just as easy to take off and throw in the woods as putting on I guess.

Slothful dirt hippie
    I think the Roslyn signs were done with coroplast and mounted really, really high on trees (someone standing on a horse?!?) and quite a few of them have now made it through multiple seasons looking just the same as when they were made.

Wood signs are nice but they weather to inscrutability, and apparently there's some kinds of paint porcupines love to chew off.... the result is a chunk of flat wood lying on the ground with giant chisel marks covering the entire informative space.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    i like the trail signs i seen at paradise, but they look expensive as well as you got to sink posts in the ground to put the placards on them. ill see if i can find a pic

mtbr member
    May 2004
    No need. Well aware of them. (Even the ones with the bikes or the horses signs scratched off...) Thanks though.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Moist and Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Some people are thinking about getting some signage out there for all your location awareness programs. Wondering if there are any preferences on what is appropriate and not obtrusive. Thinking the usual FS style routed trail name on 3"-4" wide boards and affixed to trees at the trail entrance versus digging post holes would be enough. Questions? Comments? I've tried can lids affixed by wire to branches before (Did 46 of them in Tolt at one point) but they have a habit of disappearing. Just as easy to take off and throw in the woods as putting on I guess.
    Never knew Tolt signs were your thing, Borneo. Nice work, there. All said, if you're talking about awareness and not on a KC or WA funded project, up in the trees, like Tolt, works very well. I wish we could have the posted signs, like Paradise, for the "stop helping us 'fix' the trails" postings, but enough of my complaining. Anyways, the can/lid idea is *****in' and I expect it everywhere I go now.
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    The trail signs at Paradise were bought from some sort of recreation sign website by the county. If there is interest I can ask where they purchased them.

The other signs at Paradise were made at Fastsigns in Kirkland. It's relatively inexpensive.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Creative freehand routed signs. Something with a personal touch!
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

mtbr member
    You know i didn't see no sign!

JRA
    mtbr member
    3D printing from Schlemmer

6'4"-6'9" with the afro

RE: Trail signage?

The can lids at Tolt have always freaked me out -- very Blair Witch (yes, I know about the trail). Soon after moving here 8 years ago I was riding Tolt solo in the late afternoon in a nasty rainstorm, mid winter. No map, no compass, no phone, no idea how the trails were organized. I very nearly spent the night out there. Those can lid signs seemed to taunt me every time I'd loop back to where I started, thinking, hoping I was making progress getting out of there. I'm just glad I didn't come across an old abandoned cabin: Blair Witch, Evil Dead, Deliverance (did I hear a banjo?), lost, cold, creepy signs. Would have been more than I could handle. So I guess I'm saying I vote for the signs at Paradise. They make feel like a nice park ranger is right around the corner, ready to be of assistance. But please, no purposefully misleading signs like those at Paradise indicating, "Bike Park". 😊
    Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JRA View Post
    3D printing from Schlemmer
    Only for the firearm themed trails....

Moist and Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Fletch F. Fletch View Post
    But please, no purposefully misleading signs like those at Paradise indicating, "Bike Park".
    Hahahahaha
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Borneo, my latest tact in Black Diamond is to make the signs out of wood and make them vertical rather than horizontal. The horizontal mounted ones seem to disappear. Maybe users are stopping to do chin ups and they break or someone has a sign collection at their house.... Vertically mounted on a tree seem more secure. I have mounted them up a bit higher but then I hear guys say they are too high and miss them.... Lately, I have been making them with a router, painting the lettering so they stand out and then putting a coat of varathane over the top.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah, that was sort of our plan as I have some leftover cedar decking but good idea on the vertical placement. No issues with screwing them into the trees? I assume you are using square drive or Torx as they are not as common as flathead or Phillips heads? (Seem too last longer when the trail tool doesn't have a head that fits. )

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Well, not sure the trees like it but they have not "barked" too loud. And I have started using the Torx head since I fiugred the sign collectors were less like to have one of those in their bag.

mtbr member
    I liked the signs at Summit Ridge, very well done and not tacky looking, gives it some character.

LOL at the Bike Park comment, I always chuckle when I ride that section of PV. First time I was there I was soooo excited....
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks again SRG...

Yeah, I try not to give too much grief to Woodway over that. Just goes to show that even the people at the county don't get us either. Thought we were going to get a mini-ex in there to work on the loop portion of that this summer but I think Swan Creek and Tiger got in the way.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Hey now, the Bike Park sign was not my idea.

If you look at the signs at Paradise, they use a special fastener that is commonly used in parks because it takes a special bit to drive/remove that the average sign thief will not have. You can buy them online but they are not common.

mtbr member
    Banner has been using the vertical signs up high for a long time and they look good and last. Just use a ladder to get them up high enough that hoodlums can't reach them.

I5Troll
    Mrosey, Thanks for sharing that link. Forgot that's how it was done at Paradise. That's going to be our approach at Swan Creek. Figure there's a much higher chance of bigger signs disappearing or getting vandalized.

Borneo, How did Tiger and Swan get in the way? (or are you just trying to stir/make something up as usual and I fell for it again ). I thought we never got permission. We've been towing Matt's 1-ton mini around all winter and I tried to schedul some time at Paradise. Now it's at Swan for the first time and has to go back to the dry-side next week. Huge thanks to Matt Rose, BTW!!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah, I figured you'd get a little defensive. Sorry. Rumor was that there were too many projects and that it was not an permission issue is what I heard. Too much to do, too little time/resources, that's all. No stirring or making sh_t up. (Do I do that?)

Back on thread, the PVCA posts work really well. As do the Beaver Lake/Section 36 ones which were an Eagle scout project.

mtbr member
    I like how the remond watershed signs have little maps at the major intersections, very handy.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    There's a difference in the options presented. The "you are here" version, the, "here's the way back to the trailhead" version, and simple trail signage that corresponds to "the map". At a minimum, it's worth having trails marked so people can at least tell 911 where they are in an incident should they have seen the sign when at a junction or entering the trail. Signage is really an interesting social experiment when you really dive into it. With today's technology, IF everyone had access to signed trail systems with GPS coordinates on their iPhone, would trail signage and a conventional map be worthwhile? The thought was that if trails were at least signed on either end and at intersections, it would make a huge difference in the experience. Even without a map. IE something is better than nothing. For a supposedly sub par trail system, Moss Lake has a very good marking pattern which gets kudos from users often. No map at the trailhead and you have to go looking for one on the wiki. But, just having something out there has proven very beneficial.

JRA
    mtbr member
    Future of mountain biking ...?

==mini-tablet/phone/camera/video/gaming console strapped to the handlebars w/ heads up display geek goggles and speaker turned on==

"Turn Left in 200 feet"

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast