mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Trail recommendations for travelers

Hi,

Initially I wanted to stay in SF for about 2 month but plans changed as I have to go back way earlier to Austria/Europe. So I have very little time left to do a research on which places and trails are the best in the area. And then go there and ride.

We will stay in the bay area for only a few more days and then slowly make our way up to Vancouver. Yosemite, Lake Tahoe and Hood River to name just a few places on our way.

There is tons of information about trails on the net. And that's the problem. I just don't know where to look first and which information and ratings etc. are reliable. There are definitively many awesome places in this beautiful country but I just havn't the time to go to all of them
    What I would be looking for are scenic single trails with little exposure so my girlfriend doesn't get scarred but still a bit technical. So nothing dangerous - exposure is fine if the trail isn't too narrow! So fun trails and not only gravel roads.
    - about 2 to 6 hours
    - up to 25 miles
    - up to 3300ft altitude

I got a Garmin Edge so GPS tracks would be a great help!

thanks so much,
    Chris

PS: I also posted this in the North California forum but off course I'd be looking for some great rides in Washington as well

mtbr member
    When will you be in the area? That makes a huge difference as to which trails will be open.

Last word is all yours...
    What Agate said is key: if you're here summer/fall, you'll have a lot of great options. Take a look at this list: http://evergreenmtb.org/wiki/index.p..._Epics_(Summer)

I'd definitely recommend the Ape Canyon ride as a must if you're in the area at the right time. The 410-area rides are pretty amazing, too. Both of these fit your list of characteristics above, and neither are too far off the path if you're heading to Vancouver. Best of luck!
    --
    -bp

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    In case you head up into WA before the end of June and need something a little lower, I definitely recommend heading out to the Sequim area on the Olympic Peninsula and hitting up Dungeness/Gold Creek. Excellent 19 mile backcountry ride that's pretty easy to navigate.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Thanks! I'll have a look at the trails mentioned.

Unfortunately I'll be there in about 2 weeks time. So maybe too early for the higher trails although I don't mind crossing occasional snowfields (My girl friend would probably kill me tough )