mtbr member
    May 2004

Total Recon: the first of many... (N Fk Walla Walla, etc)

Yep. No pictures yet. Spent the last week roaming SE WA and NE OR in search of the elusive trail off the major map.... What went down would take a epic writing of Skookum proportions but no one reads past the first few sentences so I'll keep it short. Camped at Target Meadows up off 204 and took off with a few other fools about 10 to ride down Burnt Cabin Trail (steeeep: remember that...) Down S Fk Walla Walla where we had our first casualty of a broken seat clamp bolt... Up Bear Creek to Cub Saddle where we met No Nancies and Captain Monroe. Chatted with some local motos guys there and when told of our route, we actually got an, "oh ****" from one of them. Hmmm.... Up Table Springs which is "just" climbable enough to make you want to keep pedaling but make you want to hand the f-er a clino the next time they build a trail. Great ridge line views and then about 6 miles of moderately interesting road to N Fk Trail. Now, I've been around a little and I'll have to tell you all that it's very possible that the upper part to Cow Camp could be in the all-time top 10 list. Yes, it's that good. Think a greener Devil's Gulch with better sight lines and my neurologist would kill me if he knew speeds... Moto trails are not supposed to be this buff. And what? Not a purpose built berm in sight? Had to move back a little to counter the lower torso blood flow this was giving me. Yes, we went to plaid... Past Cow Camp it goes to quad trail and I followed No Nancies who was picking great lines. Crosses a bridge and goes back to sweet singletrack trail farther down until turning left and steadily climbing back to Cub Saddle. There, about halfway up, Captain Monroe has hit the wall. More water and fig bars and he's making it to the saddle where I hand him off to No Nancies... We have our own problems. Down Bear Creek back to S Fk and up farther than I remember to the Burnt Cabin crossing. Tried riding as much as possible just so I wouldn't have to push the bike any more. 2K in 3.5 miles at the end? Really? To top it off, I get as text from Slop about 3/4th up stating, "You guys are not really going back up Burnt Cabin are you?". (I didn't have the energy to spare a text back...) In the end it was 38 miles and just under 9200' of climbing/descending... I would highly recommend doing this ride from Harris Park TH outside WaWa. Much more manageable and all downhill from the top of Cub. Gorgeous terrain and top notch trail... Umatilla Rim tomorrow.

mtbr member
    May 2004

mtbr member
    Sounds like damn good fun to me.

I hate to say it, but I told you to camp at Harris Park.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yeah, I know. Not the only one.... Would have been a much better finish. Logistically, it didn't make sense though with all the rides we had planned up top. Will still probably camp up top as there will be a second time. But, will drive down to do that one from Harris. Still need to do All of S Fk, Eagle Ridge, and Sinks which was highly recommended by Whit at Mountain Works in La Grande.

mtbr member
    That first day just sounds painful!
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I've never stayed at Harris Park, but I could only imagine it's a huge **** show just like most other campgrounds.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

I just wanna ride my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    That looks like mighty fine trail.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by TheotherH View Post
    That looks like mighty fine trail.
    It actually was. First 3 miles is pretty steady up on what feels like Lower Mission Ridge Trail outside Cashmere, WA if you have ever been on that. Worth adding to the S. Fk loop from Harris as well if you head out that way. Just need to climb to "Top of Tiger" and traverse SW to Deduct Pond for the 13 mile downhill to Harris Park. If you are still planning on heading through, I can give you a more wordy list with comments on the whole way through Yak-la Grande-Baker City.

JRA
    mtbr member
    Park a car at Tollgate next time. Climb out of S Fork on Lincton Road (I think that's the spelling). Gosh ... maybe I can make N Fork someday.

I just wanna ride my bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    If you are still planning on heading through, I can give you a more wordy list with comments on the whole way through Yak-la Grande-Baker City.
    Thanks! We won't be able to go this year (rest of vacation already tied up on a big road trip) but this is definitely a contender for 2014.