bro not pro

torn up switch backs on Ranger Creek trail

torn up switch backs on Ranger Creek Trail, WA

The switchbacks on Ranger Creek trail are getting torn up pretty bad this year. Soon they'll be unridable rocks roots chunder. Why is this ? What can be done about it ?

G O N Z

mtbr member

Re: torn up switch backs on Ranger Creek trail

The elephant in the room:

If we help are we dumbing it down?

The world is run by those that show up and that's on the trail not in blah blah land but tell us what you think before we ruin it for you.

Design Goal #1: make the switches so the downslope of the exit will not fail you.

#2: The entrance into the corner and the corner space may get attention but that is a secondary priority.

If you feel very strongly about this we want you on our team. You are automatically authorized to help us make this outlast all of us. I don't have to be able to ride it but it should again live longer than this readership.

If this is all we have to argue about then Summer rules eh?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Okay, I can't ride but I can live vicariously through all your adventures even when a hook is thrown out there.... I'll bite.
    As has been stated here for years now, pre-MTB built trail with lower volume hiker intended use.... Popular MTB trail now and added shuttle monkey coaster use. Blown out corners...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gonz View Post
    Why is this ?
    Changing riding style, changing mentality. 10 years ago, if you left a skid mark around a switchback on a backcountry trail, you hang your head low in shame because we couldn't afford to not tread lightly. Today? Nobody seems to care about finesse.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonz View Post
    What can be done about it ?
    We could start by reminding riders to match the riding to the trail, not the other way around, but it may fall on deaf ears...

Quote Originally Posted by Borneo
    pre-MTB built trail with lower volume hiker intended use....
    Wait a few years, Borneo. If MBS can only maintain 1/4 of the existing roads as they claim, I'd bet you a nickel that 7200 wouldn't make the cut.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Although in an ideal world all the switchbacks would be rebuilt as necessary, IMO I didn't feel like it was a big issue. I hadn't been on Ranger Creek in a few years but it seemed like it was in amazingly good shape overall (partially thanks to our August rain). There were only 4-5 switchbacks that weren't rideable up hill, and of course they are all rideable downhill. They certainly look no worse to me than many switchbacks on hiking trails so I don't think its a perception issue as much as "it would be nice to pedal this switchback".

You know its August when a 5.5 hour ride seems short. Sorry again to leave you hanging up there Pete but we got back right on time and domestic bliss was maintained in my household. Didja get a swim in or too chillY ?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    That's a sad sight indeed. Is there enough space and rock nearby to level out the turn? How far in is it? We have 410 fest coming up middle of next month.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Well I know we want sustainability but I would rather have gnarly than those super buff easily negotiated flow turns.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Now that's some serious work that will hold up for years.
    There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston View Post
    Well I know we want sustainability but I would rather have gnarly than those super buff easily negotiated flow turns.
    You may like it now but it's only going to get worse. What a trail looks like now doesn't matter, it's what it will look like in the future that matters.

mtbr member

Re: torn up switch backs on Ranger Creek trail

I would like to hear from "others" especially those with a a righteous experience to share.

I see those exits and some bodies been down there.

This past May we did what I thought was a lame day at the very bottom of grand ridge and I've ridden it a hundred times yet then people came by and told us how they went over the side and how our effort actually helped.

This isn't to make anyone feel less but this is your chance to report if you agree a little help could be worth a bunch of our time which could in the end be us or USFS TBD.

No inputs tips me to the do nothing side....

AuldSkul!

mtbr member
    I only get to ride 410 trails a couple times a year, and build maintain my own trails on the east side.

Please don't dumb down the trail. i'm not sure what you mean by unride-able roots, rocks and chunder? I dont see anything in that picture that represents anything that a weakly skilled rider could not get over. I see a maturing bike trail. That corner has plenty of spots to drop a front tire into and have plenty of traction. As for climbing..when its dry that would be a bit of a challenge i guess....which is awesome.

Its mid-late august and like usually we haven't had much moisture. Things are gonna bet a bit blown out and they will reset next season.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    That Picture is miss leading, That is one of the better off SB on that trail. Most are not that nice and/or a lot tighter on a 60-100% side slope.

Quote Originally Posted by jlf.ski.bike.sail View Post

Please don't dumb down the trail. I'm not sure what you mean by unride-able roots, rocks and chunder? I dont see anything in that picture that represents anything that a weakly skilled rider could not get over.
    Put your money where your mouth is and go try to clear that trail as it sits now
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    "There's a big difference between ripping and skidding. Those who skid don't know how to ride." -or use their brakes to their full advantage.
    Agreed; I posted an anti-skidding rant in the beginner forum a few days ago and was/am shocked that there actually are skidding defenders.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Seriously? It's dirt... it'll move around. Just ride it like you stole it! If you can't handle the terrain there's always doofie or netflix at home...

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Geeze i hope 410 never get's turfstoned... Each section should be approached on it's own, although i'm sure they all provide similar challenges in logistics (meaning materials, volunteers, terrain etc.). But i would hope that pavers would be last resort.

To me skidding can be greatly diminished if people rode correctly. Take one of Simons or Kat's classes and clean up your form.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

mtbr member
    Hey I stole it now I have to have class?

This is an ancient thread so why toss inflammation onto an extinguished idea?

I need some Tylenol...

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo View Post
    Hey I stole it now I have to have class?

This is an ancient thread so why toss inflammation onto an extinguished idea?

I need some Tylenol...
    Skookum's post is inflammatory? I think you need more than Tylenol to cure what ailes you. And btw, 2 weeks is not ancient.

mtbr member
    Who said pavers?

Who wants to carry pavers down the side of a mountain?!

You can be sure of two things:

Ranger dirt is up to the rest of you. I've got 5 or 10 years left to pedal and not planning to do more with ranger than tell you when the trees and snow are gone each spring until relieved.

As we can see this has the potential to drive a wedge into our community but this topic will surface again so use cool heads and stick to facts and explore speculative questions like pavers graciously.

Who said pavers?

See you on the trails.
    Last edited by paleo; 09-03-2013 at 07:17 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Wow, we are all on the same team right guys? This ongoing issue of these switchbacks is on the radar of the USFS and Evergreen. Here's an idea; come to 410 Fest, ride with friends, close the pc for a couple of days, and help out on the trails. There are several trail maintenance opportunities for us all on these trails, the more of you who come out to help, the more we can accomplish. Let's take all this "energy" and put it into the trails. Here's a link to the event. Ride and work leaders needed.
    Evergreen MTB Calendar

Graham@evergreenmtb.org to get involved. (no forum-style smack talking necessary via email)