Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    High elevation trails like that are going to get erosion. I bet a lot of it is from water run off from rain and snow melt more than guys skidding.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Completely disagree Lynch. Many of us have ridden lots of high elevation trails without shuttle access that do just fine. Deep Creek would never be built like that in today's day and age. No one in their right mind would climb Corral just to waste all that elevation going back down so fast. But, no point adding to another "coasters are A-holes" thread.

mtbr member
    Who says we are in our right mind!
    The Ranger-Palisades route is a great loop, but several of my buddies and I feel the last section thru the rocks is so anti-climantic that it almost ruins the ride. Spending the last 20 minutes of a great ride walking/trials riding thru huge boulders sucks. I'm sure a lot of people disagree with me, but im ok with that.
    If I'm climbing Ranger then riding down Palisades is the way to go.

If I climb Corral Pass, I do sometime choose Deep Creek over the others. Deep Creek might be short, but it is 100% smiles all the way down. No real worry about people coming up, faster and more technical that the other trails and when you get to the end there is no hike a bike!

There is no real wrong way to do it up there, unless you ride down Corral Pass!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    you could require anti-lock braking systems on that trail and it wouldn't make too much of a difference. Hiking-trail switchbacks are tight, a lot of them on Ranger are scary, it's just going to have the inside-foot-clip-out-pivot hole'n'trench and the "hell no I'm not trying that" overshoot to 180-waddle (that seems to extend the upper part of the turn).

I think it's just a steep hiker trail that sees more and more traffic. Skidding's never been good for a trail, but is there really any evidence to suggest there's been a percentage increase in skidding--other than just more bikes overall? And everybody I saw out there on Sunday was over 25, I'm not so sure they're even aware of slo mo go pro dubstep skid vids.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    We bought our selfs some good grace with the USFS this spring by tuning up two of the SB on Ranger. "Dumb down" or not, Got to pay to play, cuz erosion always gets blamed on tires.

Everything Going up trail is good to Little Ranger Peak but the last SB before you break off to the viewpoint. That one is trying to find it's way back to the grade of the hillside. The five or so up to the cabin will always be a hike-a-bike.
    Epic trails get built in the Northwest by epic people!

Sustainable quality trails please.

mtbr member
    I'm usually so tired by the time I near the cabin it could be flat and those turns would be hike a bike!

Hopefully the event goes smooth and the USFS gives us bikers more access to their lands.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Have been following this thread, and took a good look at the issue on Saturday. Very nice work and much appreciated on the lower couple of switchbacks. Re: the several upper hike/bike switchbacks: the only fix I could come up with would be extending a section of trail beyond the switchback, and creating a more favorable/sustainable/bench cut corner. Then trailing back to the original path at a somewhat lower cut. Feasibility open for discussion.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    > The five or so up to the cabin will always be a hike-a-bike.

No - These are ride able, if not always in practice then certainly in theory.

>The Ranger-Palisades route is a great loop, but several of my buddies and I feel the >last section thru the rocks is so anti-climantic

?? There is only a very short 10' section of boulders where you have to walk and I think it might be ride able as well. You mean down below the stairs right ? Is that really enough to color the ride after 40 minutes of downhilling ? The trials type riding IS mountain biking.

I know I come off in a bad light here, but I Just have this fear of the trails getting so smoothed out we won't have any gnarly left.

mtbr member
    After the stairs that last section thru the rocks is technically ridable, but I dont find it very fun, and it seems to go on forever (probably because I'm tired). It feels like working thru that section takes longer then the rest of the descent did.

I love the rough rugged stuff (why I prefer Deep Creek), but I wish they could reroute the entire lower section of Palisades. Its not enough for me to not ride the trail, its just a section I dont really care for.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hmmm, I'm with Preston. I'd rather ride Palisades any day than Deep Creek.... There's nothing "Gnarly" about Deep other than it's steep and rutted from all the skid marks... I already know my brakes work.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I like climbing Palisades, do it often. Climbing on Saturday, through the lower series of tough switchbacks, our group came across a female runner coming downhill. I was first to meet her and we engaged in conversation. There was no conflict of any nature in our meeting, however, she was vocal that she did not like bikes on this trail. She explained that bikes were tearing up the trails, rutting and skidding around corners, and she was very unhappy with the trails current condition. She said it was her (and her groups) intention to have Palisades closed to bikes, and they had formally filed a complaint with the U.S. Forest Service.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    That's rich, trail runners complaining about the trail.
    God why are people so uptight.

Squeaky Wheel
    Dec 2005
    Just keep the gates closed so that the trails cannot be shuttled and the rutting problem will be reduced.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by woodway View Post
    Just keep the gates closed so that the trails cannot be shuttled and the rutting problem will be reduced.
    YES !
    I like DH as much as anyone but have always felt these trails are too back country to shuttle.

Of course many other tourists/hikers drive up there besides bikers.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Ditto ^^^^^^

But, this comes up every few years and nothing is done about it....

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Were the Corral Pass trails in better shape last year when the road was closed? I donít remember. I rode Deep Creek last week and it needs some TLC.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by Preston67 View Post
    That's rich, trail runners complaining about the trail.
    God why are people so uptight.
    That's what I was thinking, Preston.

Those switchbacks are always going to get tore up unless they get a full rebuild and by that, I mean the approaches on the uphilll/descent need to be flattened and preferably taken uphill for a bit to slow riders down without having to lay into your brakes (whether skidding or not). Instead of just cosmetic fixes, I think that's the long-term solution.

EB

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Skidding around corners wasn't much of a problem back in the day before disk brakes. Now every edit on the web has a pro tearing up a corner with slo-mo of the dirt flying. There's been many articles written over the years, but with disk brakes people are always going to lock up the rear and slide too much into/around the corners. I yell at my friends, but it's tough when the bike industry is promoting and building bikes to do this.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    All of these full suspension bikes with fat, knobby tires are the problem. People are riding too fast and coming into the corners too hot.
    We need to get back to the good old days of fully rigid, steel and 20" wheels.

That would also help with the over-crowding problem.

mtbr member
    Speaking of trail runners, this Saturday is their annual White River 50 race. It's probably a good idea for mountain bikers to stay away from Palisade/Ranger/Suntop area trails so as not to irk them further. It's absolutely un-fun for MTBers too anyway, since hundreds of runners will be on the trail, strung out, so you'd end up not being able to ride but short section at a time.

If you insist on riding the area trails, recommended way would be to stick with Suntop if riding earlier in the morning (i.e. starting 9 or earlier) while runners are on Palisade side, or wait until mid afternoon and ride Ranger/Palisade side after the runners have crossed over to Suntop side.

mtbr member
    This thread was started last year so I think the answer to your question is no, at least according to some. As EB stated some of the switchbacks need to be seriously overhauled or this problem will continue. This is a popular area and gets a lot of use. Evergreen did a great job with a couple of the lower Ranger switchbacks, not overhauled but at least reinforced. Its a good start.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greydon Clark View Post
    Were the Corral Pass trails in better shape last year when the road was closed? I donít remember. I rode Deep Creek last week and it needs some TLC.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2