mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Tolt McDonald conditions

Anyone? Thanks.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I was out there last Sunday and it all seems to be firming up. Most of the usual mud pits were still there, but firming up nicely. I did a good portion of the perimeter and some of the interior. There is still a swamp on the north central spot where there always is, but I had a great time and it has been nothing but drier since then. Here's a map link from Strava for my ride. I hope you can see it.
    Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Tolt-MacDonald near Redmond | Times and Records | Strava

Of course, I do know that some trails are to be avoided when still wet in the interior, so I did avoid those. I suspect that they are rideable this weekend.

Watch out for down trees; I cleared two or three on trails that were in great shape but had not been traveled on in a while.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Tolt is good year around. it drains really well out there. yea there are a few puddles but who cares.

Ride it!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Yep. If you just avoid the usual sink-holes out there and the very few trails that simply aren't worth riding wet, Tolt can be quite a "mistical" experience in the wet.

Seriously though, most of the perimeter, especially the west and south portions, drain so well that you can ride them almost like they are Duthie trails.

As a matter of fact, I'm going to be riding there today and doing my grand loop from Tolt to Tokul to Preston to Grand Ridge to Duthie to Soaring Eagle. Can't waste this dud of day!
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Good seeing you out at the gnome at T-West today DRS. If Tolt is anything like West right now, it's rolling real nice.....

Moist and Delicious
    [QUOTE=DRSpalding;10280773I'm going to be riding there today and doing my grand loop from Tolt to Tokul to Preston to Grand Ridge to Duthie to Soaring Eagle. Can't waste this dud of day![/QUOTE]

That's a helluva lot of miles.... would love to know the final tally and what trails you rode/where. Hope it was fun!
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Good seeing you out at the gnome at T-West today DRS. If Tolt is anything like West right now, it's rolling real nice.....
    It was good dirt all around me. Dean burned out and left me in the dust while I texted with Mike though. I didn't get a chance to see Small Fries. You'll have to fill me in about where that is.

Quote Originally Posted by nasai View Post
    That's a helluva lot of miles.... would love to know the final tally and what trails you rode/where. Hope it was fun!
    It worked out to 41 miles and 3600' of elevation gain. I suffered up the south wall of Grand Ridge, paying for the fun I had in Tolt and Tokul. By that point, I was just about ready to throw in the towel, but made it on a straight shot through Duthie to Soaring Eagle where my support crew picked my sorry butt up.

If you have a Strava account you can see all of it here: Mountain Bike Ride Profile | Quest for Suffering near Redmond | Times and Records | Strava and you may be able to see most of it regardless of if you have an account or not. Let me know if that gets what you need. I'll fill in details if you care!
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks for the updates. That looks like an awesome route.