Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Tokul West question

5K views 63 replies 16 participants last post by  mbcracken 
#1 ·
Great ride out there this morning, think I might have passed Slop and couple other guys too. One question though, is Full Bench still rideable? I could not find the start of it based on the 2009 map on the Evergreen site, but it looked like there were a couple new logging roads branching off that area that weren't on the map too. I know that's close to the property border, so I didn't want to chance it without knowing where I was headed.

On the plus side I found Poopy D instead, which was a good way to link up the upper trails with stuff like Bobsled.

#2 ·
I went down full bench a couple months ago, but it was pretty heavily overgrown, and before too long you come out into the recently logged areas. The day I was down there which was a Sunday if I remember right, the loggers were at work, so I reversed course and went back up. Hopefully that trail will live again in the future. Come out the bottom of Poopy D, turn right, go up the road until you curve right, turn left down another road. At the end of that road on the left the trail starts. You've got to get right up to it to see the start.

#3 ·
It has not received any maintenance in some time since Tokul Timber LLC has been logging at the bottom and not being to friendly with users of the land. It starts off the end of the logging spur north of where it used to start. The upper/flat section is gone but the trail starts at the fun stuff switching back down still.
How was Poopy? Brushy or pretty open. It can "flow" either way once you get the hang of it. Nice to pair up with Middle for crossing over from the top to the bottom.

#4 ·
Ah, I thought it might be down a spur off the logging road shown on the old map, but I was too pressed for time to try the couple that I saw up there. Next time.

Poopy was fine, a little tight in places, but not too bad at all. Went up beaver pond, did Upper Outback to Outhouse, looked for Full Bench, then figured Poopy would connect back to the lower stuff (whihch it did), then finally bobsled to the steep connector to the gated road.

Good day overall, little misty but cool, so the dirt was good. My legs were sore from other rides earlier this week, so this was a nice way to spend time on the bike close by. Last time I was there was January, and I was just not feeling it compared to East. But I get the vibe there now, looking forward to riding there more this winter.

New 1x10 set up helps me appreciate it more... :)

#5 ·
Nope, slop was out poking around on Table Mtn today (near E-berg). Borneo pretty much answered your question. We do have plans to add a trail that goes along the perimeter of the property from FullBench to Bobsled, but it will take a lot of effort. If we pull this off, we'll extend the top so its close to the top of PPD as well.
Bob, rode PPD last week, was in good shape. Still needs more riding to really shape the turns, but its getting there.

#7 ·
We do have plans to add a trail that goes along the perimeter of the property from FullBench to Bobsled, but it will take a lot of effort. If we pull this off, we'll extend the top so its close to the top of PPD as well.
Would this be at the bottom of Full Bench/Bob Sled or on top in the clear cut. A cool route would be down Bobsled, across new trail, up full bench, down PPD or Middle. Or the reverse. Never been a fan of the trails across the lower road (Bra, etc.) Too straight, flat, and muddy for me.

#8 ·
Yes, more or less. Start near bottom of bobsled...the sweeping left turn where the trail levels out...upto the road where the gate is (this will be the easy part)... And then continue through the old clear cut to somewhere on FB...probably near the top. We will need to keep it on Hancock property. The bottom of FB as well as the flat trails (Bra, Monster, Bear, etc) are on MaCaw property and they don't like trespassers.

#9 ·
Make sense to bag most of Full Bench as a primary trail. It's usually too steep and dusty to climb successfully and not much fun going down for the same reasons. And leads to nowhere.

I used to love this trail in the trees but it's not good as a clear cut trail. Creating a long low-angle return to the lower road junction would be a huge plus up and down. Trying to visualize the topo but seems feasible. That's me, virtual trail-builder...it's less-tiring.

#11 ·
Nice pic. Must be from the last month or so. Shows the new Beaver Pond climbing trail.
Full Bench...the boundary is where the trail enters the woods. We will need to run the trail along the edge somehow, but it will be a ton of work. Scroll out enough and you can see how much cutting Hancock has been doing the last couple years..with more to come.

#13 ·
Hopefully it can be revived. A lot of work went into the initial build and it sure would be a waste....

GS? Hearing good reviews and the topic of a lot of "off season" work to get better this fall/winter/spring... Probably somewhat brushy in places but mud isn't back yet I hear.

#18 ·
Not "complete" for release yet... Upper FB is gone and not replaced yet. Beaver Pond is still there though the upper horsey entrance should still be blocked and one can get in a little farther up the road where it is signed. It also just got some brushing love from UncleDeanXC and the Tuesday night crew. The lower trail folks stopped using anyways below Pink Ribbon is gone. The DH portion that it connected to has been resurrected though. So, not all that much lost.

#20 ·
Lots of good feedback on the signage which is good to hear. Map? There is.... And, it's being worked on. As we all know, a bad map is worse than no map at all. :)
May actually ride Thursday and move some tools from the future logging area...And assess some winter work area.

#26 ·
Those 2 trails are pretty "old" for out there. Outback being 2003 and Outhouse 2005. Any thoughts about opening them up and add more "flow" for today's standards? Not much has been done to either since the initial build other than annual maintenance. Outback got a minor reroute above the blow down mess and below the rock roll around 2006 or so but no one seems to mind that little climb there as a result. will be looking for the new gnome location as well in about 8 hours.

#32 · (Edited)
Those 2 trails are pretty "old" for out there. Outback being 2003 and Outhouse 2005. Any thoughts about opening them up and add more "flow" for today's standards?
Holy crizzap -- what alternate universe did I wake up in this morning? ;)

I'm actually for leaving them alone for the most part. They've both been ripping fast the last few times I've ridden them -- especially Outback all the way to the bottom.

Death to the Dumb-Downers! :crazy:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.