mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Tokul West Logging Starts Next Week!!

This just in from Hancock Forest Managementů Logging will begin next week at Tokul West. The area being cut is the Moonraker/Bon Bon/Mousetrap zone.

Riders, please stay away from the active logging zone during the harvest. The area to avoid is the road that cuts between the Moonraker/Bon Bon zone and the Outback/Steakhouse zone.
    Outback and Steakhouse will be OK to ride one week after logging starts once the Bunchers (huge logging machines) are done. Bunchers are dangerous to be anywhere near, so for the first week of operations while Bunchers are active please stay at least 500 feet away from the logging area.

After the first week it will be OK to ride Outback and Steakhouse, and go on the road just below the logging zone after the work day is done.

We once again thank Hancock for working with us ahead of time to take steps that will make it easier to reopen the trails once they are done logging.

And we thank all of you for working with us and Hancock to make sure mountain bikers are welcome on their lands.
    Evergreen Mountain Bike Alliance
    sustainable trails. rider powered.

I5Troll
    Feller Buncher in action...

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    Thanks Stacy for getting the word out. Hancock told me that the bunchers will be working for about the first week, and to stay the heck away since debris can go flying a few hundred feet. So all next week (week of Feb 24) we should stay off Outback/Steakhouse trail network. After that week, then we can ride Outback again, but to stay off the active logging area (Bon Bon, etc) until the harvest is done. Hopefully that makes sense.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

EMBA Member
    FWIW, from what I could see from the top of BonHouse and Outback today, there was no logging this past week.

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    Got word from a friend that the machines are in there now, so they're going at it fast and hard with the feller-bunchers. Stay well away for the next week since those machines are nasty dangerous, and then after that we can ride the "next door" trails like Outback.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    On the way to TE yesterday it looked like they cleared a big chunk of TW over the weekend. Kind of a sad sight.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    was there on Friday 2/28. the road between outhouse/outback and bon bon are taped off. there is active logging up on top of bon bon. not sure why they taped off the road but assume they will cutting all the way down to it and don't want peeps in there. they also fell a tree across the road so entrance from the main road up is also blocked. I wanted to see if the connector to GS was taped off too and it was. if you obey the closure it REALLY limits getting some unduplicated miles in.

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    Quote Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post
    if you obey the closure it REALLY limits getting some unduplicated miles in.
    It's just for 1 week while the feller bunchers are operating. Those machines are crazy, they cut a tree in literally 5 seconds with a huge spinning wheel with wood chips and sometimes a broken tooth from the wheel flying up to 500 feet.

Hancock asks us to stay well away for the first week until the big machines are done. After that we can get in to the trails and roads adjacent to the current cut.
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I did not ride any of the closed trails but did I ride over to Griffin just to get some miles in. technically I had duck the tape to get out on the back logging roads. But I agree we should stay well away from the operations and this includes NOT riding the trails that lead into the cutting area. BTW, there is a lot of logging and logging traffic going on near the Griffin creek bridges so be extra diligent by listening for traffic and getting out of the way.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Tokul West Logging Starts Next Week!!

I betcha they got a bunch a fellers on them feller bunchers.

EMBA Member
    As of today, from the top of bonhouse looking up the hill there has been some logging up top but not on the hillside below. The MouseTrap area is clearcut. Looks like they still have a lot to do. Saw a feller buncher sitting by the side of the road so I'd guess it'll be some time before we can get up top again.