Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Tokul East and West Temporarily Closed Due to Fire Danger

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Borneo 
#1 · (Edited)
Tokul East and West Temporarily Closed Due to Fire Danger - Reopening Tomorrow!

Hancock Timber has temporarily shut down all public access to their property due to concerns over fire danger. We all know that riding a bike in the woods isn't going to be the cause of a fire, but you'd be amazed at the things that go on and the fires that do get started by careless or unstable people.

So Hancock does a blanket closure until the fire level published by DNR is dropped back down to IFPL 2.

Please respect this closure and help protect our forests. We'll let you know as soon as the trails reopen.

You can keep tabs on the fire danger in counties across the state on the DNR Website Washington DNR: Counties Fire Danger

Thanks everyone!

#6 ·
That was short lived. Tokul falls under 659N, which as of 12am of today is back under a level 2. I will update you if it goes back up.
IFPL Information Page

As for fire danger, it's still pretty dry out there. The died fern leafs and other fine fuels are totally dry, they start on fire very easy. The little bit of rain we have had didn't get fine fuels like that wet at all. Go look under a fern if you don't believe me.

Humidity levels are okay right now, temp aren't to hot and with the possibility for rain later this week we should be okay for a bit!

#7 ·
Hey Folks,
This just in from Glenn Glover, Evergreen's Exec Director, when I asked if Tokul was back open:

"No, they follow the IFPL rating on the way up but they don’t drop back until there’s been significant rain. Don’t hold your breath on the closure changing (sic) for another month."

Sorry y'all.

#8 ·
GOOD NEWS - Thanks to the wet weather, Tokul is going to be open for riding again tomorrow, Sat Aug 17th at 5:00am!

Here's the message direct from Hancock:

The Recreation Access program will re-open on Saturday, August 17th at 5 am.
Please be extremely careful as it is still very dry. Per the Rules and Regulations, you must have a fire extinguisher and shovel in your vehicle while recreating on our forest lands.

Our first priority is protection of the lands that we manage. Please be aware that if the weather becomes hot and dry we will not hesitate to re-close the property to recreational access. Thank you for your cooperation.

-Hancock Forest Management

#10 ·
I'm thinking about getting a fire extinguisher mounted to the back of my bike so I can flip the switch for an added climbing boost when needed.

Actually, I'm pretty surprised that they are re-opening. Normally, I don't think they would as per past closures. Another skeptical "thank you" from this keyboard.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.