Justin Vander Pol

Tokul East and West Logging Update

Hey everyone, here is an update on Tokul logging that I wrote up for the Evergreen newsletter that will go out this week. Since Tokul West road construction started yesterday, we wanted to get this out there so you know what to expect.

Tokul East:
    Logging roads are being constructed right now in the MidTown and Crazy Ivan area, and road constuction will continue for a couple weeks. There will be a lull once the roads are built, and you should go ride the trails then! Logging itself will begin approximately Mid-December and last 2 months. During logging, please stay well away from any area being logged.

Logging trucks will traverse down the powerline road from the start of Crazy Ivan, then climb back up the main access road and go past the top of Flowtron 3000. This is the same route we climb up to Flowtron, so please avoid the trails when trucks are on the roads. Trucks won't be active on weekends and evenings, so those are the times to ride Flowtron, OGDH, and the other trails in the area.

Tokul West:
    The BonBon, Mouse Trap and Moonraker area will be logged this winter. Logging will not impact Outback and Steakhouse. Road construction began this week, and then logging will happen sometime in early 2014.

On both trail systems, representatives from Evergreen (actually me, and Peter did this earlier for T West when Beaver Pond was logged) have met out on site with foresters from Hancock. They've aligned the roads to impact the trails as little as possible. They are also taking steps make the trails easier to rebuild once logging is complete. Evergreen appreciates the fact that Hancock has dedicated staff time to make the trails easier to rebuild.

Keep in mind these are approximate dates, and the timelines could change a bit.

As a side note, I have been in contact with Hancock about ways to improve the trails in the area. While logging is certainly their main business, I've been impressed that they're willing to work with us and support trail access. I think good things will come of this.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I rode most of T-West yesterday and I can confirm that roads are being (re)built in the Upper Outback/Mousetrap/BonBon area. They appear to be rebuilding the road that accesses and connects Upper Outback's upper end and BonBon, and then along the upper part of BonBon that goes along the old roadbed. I got close enough to see them felling trees and using a track-hoe to clear it. I think that the trail link of Golden Spike/BonBon between east and west is defunct and you will need to use the road instead of going through that Upper Outback/BonBon area from Golden Spike.
    2013 Ibis Ripley
    2012 Ibis Mojo SL-R
    2009 C'dale Rize 3

mtbr member
    Good to hear Hancock is being proactive. Thank for taking the lead and advocating for the trails.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Feedback re how friendly and helpful the Hancock loggers were today

Was on TKE today, and had a nice talk with two loggers I met while going up the road to Flowtron. They went out of their way to say how careful they were working in order to try and preserve trails for us. Good to see that it's not just a mgmt message, but one that goes all the way down to the guys with the saws. Really nice guys. They also mentioned that they liked having us out there to help keep an eye on the place and keep the riff raff out.

Props to the Hancock team for trying to hold up their side of the relationship! Definitely makes me want to re-up for a pass next year.