mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Tokul East Update - 4/5/12

Hancock has completed their logging of Tokul East. However they still have some heavy equipment work to do “chunking” the area.

Please do not start doing any trail work there yet.

With this heavy equipment work still to be done, any trail recovery work would be wasted effort. Plus, when they’re finished, trail recovery work will actually be easier.

This could take 2-4 weeks, and we will let you know when to get started with trail work as soon as we know. In the meantime Hancock has requested that no one be on the property until the process is finished.

Thanks for working with us on this. We all look forward to riding at Tokul again soon.

You can stay up to date on what's happening at Tokul on the Evergreen Trail Wiki at Trail:Tokul East - Evergreen Trail Guide

mtbr member
    Cool thank you, so once they are fully done, will we still have to pay the 75$ fee?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    As of right now the answer is "yes, you will still have to pay the $75". However, we are still meeting and negotiating with Hancock regarding the user fee, so that may yet change. We'll keep you posted.

mtbr member
    Ok, thank you.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Might be a good time to take a few laps down Bobsled. Just sayin"....

FM
    luxatio erecta
    Quote Originally Posted by EvergreenStacy View Post
    However, we are still meeting and negotiating with Hancock regarding the user fee, so that may yet change. We'll keep you posted.
    In case Hancock asks, I'm still sitting on my $75, but if they're willing to approve some new trail construction including multiple intermediate DH/free-ride lines, the occasional wood feature, and some well-built jumps, then I'll see their $75 and raise 'em one.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    How about old school XC from Snoqualmie to Hwy 2.

Quote Originally Posted by FM View Post
    In case Hancock asks, I'm still sitting on my $75, but if they're willing to approve some new trail construction including multiple intermediate DH/free-ride lines, the occasional wood feature, and some well-built jumps, then I'll see their $75 and raise 'em one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ACree View Post
    How about old school XC from Snoqualmie to Hwy 2.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Most of Tokul West is rolling pretty nicely...I've got just a couple more trails to rake.

Cheers
    Mike

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I have not been paying much attention the activities going on at Tokul since I don't ride there.

But, now that we are looking at a clear cut in Black Diamond on 243 acres I would like to know if there are any lessons to be learned and shared.

1. Can you do anything "pre" clear cut to make it easier to re-establish the trails system?

2. Or do you start over with a clean slate?

3. Any unique issues with trail building in a clear cut? Drainage, etc

4. Who are the key trail builders at Tokul now?

I am going to see if we can create a formal trail stewardship agreement with Herbrand Company (new land owners). I am assuming EMBA has something in place with the Tokul trails?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I can't imagine anyone coming fully clean at this point. But, reading Tokul posts from the past we all should be able to get the idea who's who.

Making sure a trail is well established prior to clear cuttting and maybe even running a GPS track of it is a good thing. If one wants to re-establish the same line and it's viable.

Trails on a slope where a drag line is used is better. ( FT3K for example) Less branches on the ground at the trail site. Flat land is the worse because they drive all over it and strip the branches on site. The branch debris can be really deep in places. I've found that just walking the trail with a chain saw and chunking the branches out works waaaaaaay better than playing pick up sticks with them. Just run a saw down either side and have someone following throwing the chunks out of the way. Re-grade, and you are usually good to go. More sun usually means dustier conditions until the growth starts popping up again and the trail bed gets some shade. maybe 4-7 years? If they re-plant right away and they should, the trees will be 10-12 feet and provide ample shade to keep the trails tacky in 5-8 years. It's the way it is on logged property around here. Kinda liking the new views in T-East but still think 75 is way too much to pay.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    From what I recall of Black Diamond terrain, cable logging isn't likely. If you have any lines of communication with the landowner or loggers, the best would be to ask that the the logging avoid using the trails as skid roads to the extent possible, and if you can, walk the area with them and point out areas of concern. Be flexible with routing when it's time to open the trail back up too. Rerouting to avoid debris can save a lot of work, and it's also a good chance to fix poor design. Then enjoy the views while they last...the trees will block them before you know it.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Yeah...the cable logging at TKE was possible because of the terrain; but Justin, the dude who owns the timber company, is also a mountain biker and did try to do some things to ease the cleanup.

Detailed mapping will help a lot.

Just roll it......
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    I've found that just walking the trail with a chain saw and chunking the branches out works waaaaaaay better than playing pick up sticks with them. Just run a saw down either side and have someone following throwing the chunks out of the way. Re-grade, and you are usually good to go.
    I agree with this wholeheartedly. Be prepared to dig through feet of intertwined branches otherwise. I usually have a couple of spare chains with me as you'll inevitably drop the bar into some dirt, but it's way more efficient to do that. We cut everything wide, so we've got room for drainage and can access dirt if necessary too.

On Galby, they've been using machines to log since the grade of the hill is pretty mellow. So, we've been getting the head's up from Janicki (the logging company) on where they are moving to next. Then, we walk each trail and flag both sides of the trail with pink flagging about 10 feet off the trail. That allows the machine operator to see where the trails are and they find the best/easiest spots to cross the trail vs. just using our trail as skidder path. It's made the past 6 months of re-opening trails much easier.

That said, they are doing very little clearcutting on Galby and that's a different animal altogether.

EB

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Watch for new trees being planted

As you hopefully already know, the logging at Tokul East is finished, and you are welcome to go in and start rebuilding trails (as long as you have a permit, of course. And yes, they have been checking).

Hancock has also just let us know that they are in the process of replanting trees in the logged areas. While they have flagged the trails to help prevent new seedlings being planted in them, it might happen.

So if you're working on the trails and come across a tree planted in the trail, they ask that you please dig it carefully and replant it nearby but off the trail. Doing this not only helps Hancock, it helps us riders get a nice forest back that much sooner. Thanks!