Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

Tokul East RR (w/videos and pic)

Today some buddies and I headed out the Tokul. It was 20 degrees out when we started, but we make it to the top of Flowtron as the sun peaked over the mountains...

We took a run down Flowtron and it was just as I heard, buff and fast! The trail gnomes have been busy. Check out the huge split log drop on the left at the 2:15 mark.

Next we headed up toward Crazy Ivan to ride a newer trail Westra was telling me about. It is a top to bottom trail and a lot of fun. It might be my new favorite trail at Tokul East. Not sure what the trail name is, but I'm sure someone will let us know!

We also hit Upper and lower Ivan, OGDH and a few other shorter trails. It was a good day with frozen grippy dirt!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    We were up there today too. I think the name of that trail is Crazy Ivans Little Sister. Awesome day, great footage!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Always nice to see trail gnomes busy all over the area. Me thinks the TH lot at East will keep being full this year....
    Still need to give you that West tour Lynch...

mtbr member
    At 7:30 am we were the first car in the parking area. At 11:30 every spot was full and more cars were arriving.

Bob- We ride every Sunday morning so if you willing to ride early, we would love a tour of T-west!

mtbr member
    I'd like to tag along on that ride I'm getting to know east finally, but I still have no idea how to get to the good stuff on west except dumb luck.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Nice vids, looks like a beautiful day.

Is that a chest mount on the camera? GoPro or Contour?
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    It's snow season kids and I was getting ready for sliding on some warm slush off Chair 2 this morning. But soon, for sure. There are 3 new (to some) trails in there and more proposed. And. it seems more and more are discovering the Golden Spike across the back as well. So, all good stuff.

mtbr member
    This is the first year I didn't get a pass at Steven's (that was the deal with the wife since I got a new bike this year), so it's been interesting hitting stuff while it's cold here. Reminds me of the midwest, except with stellar trails on actual mountains.

Still miss boarding though
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    It's a GoPro with my homemade Chesty mount.

I use to ski/snowboard 30+ times a year, but not so much any more. With 2 young kids it tough to get away all day, and lift ticket prices are insane. I wont do the season pass route because I like to go to different resorts each time, and I cant get away enough to justify the cost either.

With mountain biking I can ride twice a week, hit different places every ride and never be away for more than 3-4 hours and spend nothing more than gas money and the cost of the occasional broken/worm out part.

mtbr member
    I hear you, it's sort of the same way for me. I'm lucky in that since I run my own business, I often get last minute chances to go do fun things a couple times a week. So a weekday pass at Steven's for $215 is really not that bad for a whole season of riding. But as much as I love Stevens, it does get a little old riding the same place most of the year.

The mtn bike trails out here are getting so well built and designed in so many places, it's really feasible to ride year round and still get in a lot of variety. I still manage to get in a couple rides each week as long as it's not the constant downpour we had for that one week last month. I spent all day doing trail work at St. Ed's, and it was rough watching everyone ride by having fun on such a beautiful morning, I gotta admit
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Side note: news on T-West from Slop that Hancock was indeed nice to us and logged away from the Beaver Pond Trail so it's still mostly intact. The connector to/from the SVT is bad, but that needed re-routing anyways... Stay tuned.

mtbr member
    Oh very wow on your images.

I can see I need to add points to your mojo brother Lynch.

I'll work on improving your expression of the Middlefork this year...
    Think wilderness we have access to...

mtbr member
    Man :-/ I can't wait to get back up to tokul! I have not been there since just after they started to widen roads for logging!

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Hi all those wanting a TWest tour. I ride during the day mid week. Usually Tuesday and Thursday around 10'ish. If you are lucky enough to get away then...pm me to get a tour of West.

Cheers,
    Mike

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Thanks Mike!

Side note: Is the "newish" trail noted above the same one that drops off CI before the No Trespassing sign?

And, how is the former "Yip Yap" now "Goose Chase" in that area? Re-worked and complete?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Len.Francies View Post
    Oh very wow on your images.

I can see I need to add points to your mojo brother Lynch.

I'll work on improving your expression of the Middlefork this year...
    Think wilderness we have access to...
    I will be riding Middlefork again this summer, I just need to do the whole loop and not just the lower third!

mtbr member
    and i do still love to play in the snow...

can you name the location?

mtbr member
    Borneo should be able to; He certainly spends enough time down there.

Btw, that would be way easier with a bigger version of the picture.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Summit at Bachelor? Sure looks like Tumalo Butte straight ahead and then Broken Top and South Sisters off to the left. Looks like you are ready to drop into The Cirque.

mtbr member
    Sir, you are correct!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Nice! Was going to feel really dumb if I was wrong. Was just there over the holidays hitting up the backside in some epic powder. Awesome place all year around. Just as good in the summer, if not better for the singletrack.

One of these days, I would love to hook up with your group and ride Tokul. I mainly ride Flowtron and OGDH, so it would be fun to learn some of the other areas. I also want to check out your new Stumpy Evo, it looks like a sweet machine. I have a 2010 Enduro Pro and your threads are not helping me to stay excited about my bike! I just blew my rear hub (I think), so am waiting for a set of the Chinese wheels to sent to me.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Slacker day since I was actually working today. Uh, Bachelor?

BTW Agate, I'm bailing on Bend this year since it's getting boring and going for the LaGrande area in June...

Let's just keep this thread in East though so the Westies can enjoy the solitude over in West.

Anyone want to resurrect the Pink Ribbon jump line over there and make it more mere mortal friendly?

mtbr member
    I keep hearing "West is good for XC training, East is where the fun is".
    I cant wait for a real tour of West to seen if it is worth adding into the rotation

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Lynch View Post
    I keep hearing "West is good for XC training, East is where the fun is".
    I cant wait for a real tour of West to seen if it is worth adding into the rotation
    That's just from the folks that only ride East.... (Or...Duthie)
    You're the one that said earlier in this thread that you have to mix things up or you get bored.

Moist and Delicious
    West is awesome. Mix it up.
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast