Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Tokul East news

mtbr member
    May 2004

Tokul East news

Yeah, I know a bunch of you could care less... But, Slop and I were up there in the rain this afternoon re-opening and grooming Bandwagon on the east side. Where in the world is Bandwagon anyways you ask? Just go left coming out of Safety First just across the road left at the intersection. Comes out on an old road bed farther down the hill and works with Gun Range/Dodgeball as an alternative loop over on that side. Maybe Lynch et al can video dropping it as that seems to have a big affect on people actually riding a trail. I doubt I'd ever get Wesselman to shoot Bryn riding it.
    In other good news, the cool kids of the HLC go Last Frontier re-opened last weekend too.... (thumbs up on that.)

Moist and Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Yeah, I know a bunch of you could care less... But, Slop and I were up there in the rain this afternoon re-opening and grooming Bandwagon on the east side. Where in the world is Bandwagon anyways you ask? Just go left coming out of Safety First just across the road left at the intersection. Comes out on an old road bed farther down the hill and works with Gun Range/Dodgeball as an alternative loop over on that side. Maybe Lynch et al can video dropping it as that seems to have a big affect on people actually riding a trail. I doubt I'd ever get Wesselman to shoot Bryn riding it.
    In other good news, the cool kids of the HLC go Last Frontier re-opened last weekend too.... (thumbs up on that.)
    I will second that Bandwagon is a fun, and challenging XC, trail just to the north of the old Gunrange/new Dodgeball trail. It's really tight, and for me, best ridden from the east to west. Either way, go ride it in. That area is a great section as a break for the downhills. I typically ride up to the top, hit Dodgeball, Bandwagon, Safety First, then drop into Flowtron (or now Last Frontier), then rinse and repeat.

Enjoy!
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

mtbr member
    May 2004
    BTW: Walked into lower Dodge a little bit on the way out and it actually looked okay. Needs some puddle love though. Nothing a pass with a shovel couldn't cure.

Moist and Delicious
    That's good news. I was afraid, I'll admit it. I need to find my tools up there. I just don't think they got stolen from where I was building back in 2009. I think they're under brush.
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Still hoping that Juice or the DC would be interested in building some fun super tech stuff on the rock pile. So many options up there.

mtbr member
    Was that area logged? I remember riding those trails a few years ago, but it looks so different on the ridge now. I dont know that little section very well. I just remember a tight twisty trail with fun techy spots.
    We will try to hit them next time we are up there and get video for the masses to see! I will probably miss a turn and get lost, but thats half the fun anyway!
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    May 2004
    If you go out of the bottom of Safety, straight across the road is the old upper Gun Range. Once at the road end, on the left is the new Dodge ball through the clear cut. Re joining the old Gun Range at the road crossing. Bandwagon is in the woods across the road at the top out of SF to the left and not logged. Has sort of a "Tolt" flair. Plus more room for growth with a super cool exposed rock section in the woods East of the current trail.

Moist and Delicious
    Can you take GR all the way to the bottom now, or is that fence still there? Now that the area requires a pass, is that area still off limits? I would assume so, given that I thought it was bought by a rock company.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    There is still a gate there but the trail is getting use and "conveniently" goes around it now. (My guess is the local Tokul natives are still using it as well.) Slop and I noticed a new road at the left of the top of the first climb which I at first thought was for homes maybe but makes more sense now as a gravel quarry.

Moist and Delicious
    Last time I was there in November of 2010 and I got a warning from a dude in a green truck, who took my picture and everything. It was enough to motivate me to stay away.

mtbr member
    That trail is not worth the effort/trouble in my experience. Blackberries, short, steep, then fence, then climb out.

On another note, every time we ride by the "half-pipe" on the Safety First side of FT3K, dreams of a new FT spring to mind. Anything in the planning stage?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You're talking about the bottom of Gun Range? Yeah, kinda. But, it's pretty open right now and definitely getting some use. Bandwagon was pretty bad due to some blow downs no one else bothered to clear. But, wide open now and a nice loop option with Safety and upper GR/Dodgeball. That gully has been walked and talked about for a long time. Always wanted to build a trail in there called, "Toe Tag".

mtbr member
    Will give lower GR another shot. Rode Bandwagon once and then the entrance disappeared. Been riding dodgeball regularly once the brambles were dead/cleared. Great technical challenge to see if you can keep your speed up through all those blind corners.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
    That trail is not worth the effort/trouble in my experience. Blackberries, short, steep, then fence, then climb out.

On another note, every time we ride by the "half-pipe" on the Safety First side of FT3K, dreams of a new FT spring to mind. Anything in the planning stage?
    We eye that spot everytime time we are up there. The big "hump" in the center would make for a sweet stepdown that leads right into the steep and tight part of the ravine. I remember talking to Slop about it and he said there were talks of putting something there, but I dont know how serious they were.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    One thing I noticed last time I was at T-E was how fast Flowtron turned to powder. It was during that warm dry spell and the trail was extremely dusty and loose. It never got that way when there were trees there. I can see it becoming a challenging ride this summer.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Lots of ball bearings to babyheads at the bottom of the swales. Especially if t gets a bunch of skidiots like on MidFrown...

mtbr member
    Midfrown? Midtown is probably one of my favorite trails in the Puget Sound area. Riding it at night was by far the highlight of my riding so far in 2013. At the bottom the 4 guys I was with had the biggest smiles you have ever seen!

I think if you built a trail that steep, you almost have to expect people to skid down it. I wish more people knew how to modulate the brakes better, but it also seems like every video that comes out shows guys skid steering every corner on a trail. Might look "cool" in slo-mo, but it isn't cool what it does to the trails.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

FM
    luxatio erecta
    agreed midtown is super fun!

Tokul gets blown out in the summer just like higher elevation trails get snow in the winter. Just ride someplace else until seasonal conditions improve, as they do...

mtbr member
    Midtown is definitely one of the best trails around, I can't imagine how much fun it would be at night.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Midtown is a blast.

Bob doesnt like it because he doesn't have a dropper post.

Dream Design Dig Repeat
    Bob, you're the first person I've heard of who doesn't like Midtown. That's OK, Golden Spike is nearby, you can do laps on that while your friends session Midtown. Win-win.
    Issaquah & Seattle real estate agent. Buy or sell a home with me and I donate $500 to Evergreen MTB Alliance
    jvpRE.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I knew I shouldn't have said anything for all the in-coming flak. No worries....

mtbr member
    With all the use and "skid" fun people are having, I hope the trail is maintained or it won't be more than a drainage rut before long.
    2013 Stumpy Evo
    2014 Fatboy

mtbr member
    It seems like for a trail that steep, a rock or concrete block base is required for long term sustainability. Put them right where the worst skid points are...armor it up. Similar to some high traffic spots at Duthie. I haven't been to North Shore yet but the pics/vids seem to show a lot of this work.

Maybe after the clear cut??

Midtown rules!

Just roll it......
    When that area is clearcut next winter, I suspect routing will likely change due to the potential of the topography. I'll be curious to see if the equestrians rebuild their trails though....what are the odds on that?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast