Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tokul East news

mtbr member
    May 2004

Tokul East news

Yeah, I know a bunch of you could care less... But, Slop and I were up there in the rain this afternoon re-opening and grooming Bandwagon on the east side. Where in the world is Bandwagon anyways you ask? Just go left coming out of Safety First just across the road left at the intersection. Comes out on an old road bed farther down the hill and works with Gun Range/Dodgeball as an alternative loop over on that side. Maybe Lynch et al can video dropping it as that seems to have a big affect on people actually riding a trail. I doubt I'd ever get Wesselman to shoot Bryn riding it.
    In other good news, the cool kids of the HLC go Last Frontier re-opened last weekend too.... (thumbs up on that.)

Moist and Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Borneo View Post
    Yeah, I know a bunch of you could care less... But, Slop and I were up there in the rain this afternoon re-opening and grooming Bandwagon on the east side. Where in the world is Bandwagon anyways you ask? Just go left coming out of Safety First just across the road left at the intersection. Comes out on an old road bed farther down the hill and works with Gun Range/Dodgeball as an alternative loop over on that side. Maybe Lynch et al can video dropping it as that seems to have a big affect on people actually riding a trail. I doubt I'd ever get Wesselman to shoot Bryn riding it.
    In other good news, the cool kids of the HLC go Last Frontier re-opened last weekend too.... (thumbs up on that.)
    I will second that Bandwagon is a fun, and challenging XC, trail just to the north of the old Gunrange/new Dodgeball trail. It's really tight, and for me, best ridden from the east to west. Either way, go ride it in. That area is a great section as a break for the downhills. I typically ride up to the top, hit Dodgeball, Bandwagon, Safety First, then drop into Flowtron (or now Last Frontier), then rinse and repeat.

Enjoy!
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

mtbr member
    May 2004
    BTW: Walked into lower Dodge a little bit on the way out and it actually looked okay. Needs some puddle love though. Nothing a pass with a shovel couldn't cure.

Moist and Delicious
    That's good news. I was afraid, I'll admit it. I need to find my tools up there. I just don't think they got stolen from where I was building back in 2009. I think they're under brush.
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Still hoping that Juice or the DC would be interested in building some fun super tech stuff on the rock pile. So many options up there.

mtbr member
    Was that area logged? I remember riding those trails a few years ago, but it looks so different on the ridge now. I dont know that little section very well. I just remember a tight twisty trail with fun techy spots.
    We will try to hit them next time we are up there and get video for the masses to see! I will probably miss a turn and get lost, but thats half the fun anyway!
    13 SJ Evo, 14 Aurum, 14 Fatboy, 15 P.3

mtbr member
    May 2004
    If you go out of the bottom of Safety, straight across the road is the old upper Gun Range. Once at the road end, on the left is the new Dodge ball through the clear cut. Re joining the old Gun Range at the road crossing. Bandwagon is in the woods across the road at the top out of SF to the left and not logged. Has sort of a "Tolt" flair. Plus more room for growth with a super cool exposed rock section in the woods East of the current trail.

Moist and Delicious
    Can you take GR all the way to the bottom now, or is that fence still there? Now that the area requires a pass, is that area still off limits? I would assume so, given that I thought it was bought by a rock company.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    There is still a gate there but the trail is getting use and "conveniently" goes around it now. (My guess is the local Tokul natives are still using it as well.) Slop and I noticed a new road at the left of the top of the first climb which I at first thought was for homes maybe but makes more sense now as a gravel quarry.

Moist and Delicious
    Last time I was there in November of 2010 and I got a warning from a dude in a green truck, who took my picture and everything. It was enough to motivate me to stay away.

mtbr member
    That trail is not worth the effort/trouble in my experience. Blackberries, short, steep, then fence, then climb out.

On another note, every time we ride by the "half-pipe" on the Safety First side of FT3K, dreams of a new FT spring to mind. Anything in the planning stage?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    You're talking about the bottom of Gun Range? Yeah, kinda. But, it's pretty open right now and definitely getting some use. Bandwagon was pretty bad due to some blow downs no one else bothered to clear. But, wide open now and a nice loop option with Safety and upper GR/Dodgeball. That gully has been walked and talked about for a long time. Always wanted to build a trail in there called, "Toe Tag".

mtbr member
    Will give lower GR another shot. Rode Bandwagon once and then the entrance disappeared. Been riding dodgeball regularly once the brambles were dead/cleared. Great technical challenge to see if you can keep your speed up through all those blind corners.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Navigator View Post
    That trail is not worth the effort/trouble in my experience. Blackberries, short, steep, then fence, then climb out.

On another note, every time we ride by the "half-pipe" on the Safety First side of FT3K, dreams of a new FT spring to mind. Anything in the planning stage?
    We eye that spot everytime time we are up there. The big "hump" in the center would make for a sweet stepdown that leads right into the steep and tight part of the ravine. I remember talking to Slop about it and he said there were talks of putting something there, but I dont know how serious they were.

mtbr member
    One thing I noticed last time I was at T-E was how fast Flowtron turned to powder. It was during that warm dry spell and the trail was extremely dusty and loose. It never got that way when there were trees there. I can see it becoming a challenging ride this summer.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Lots of ball bearings to babyheads at the bottom of the swales. Especially if t gets a bunch of skidiots like on MidFrown...

mtbr member
    Midfrown? Midtown is probably one of my favorite trails in the Puget Sound area. Riding it at night was by far the highlight of my riding so far in 2013. At the bottom the 4 guys I was with had the biggest smiles you have ever seen!

I think if you built a trail that steep, you almost have to expect people to skid down it. I wish more people knew how to modulate the brakes better, but it also seems like every video that comes out shows guys skid steering every corner on a trail. Might look "cool" in slo-mo, but it isn't cool what it does to the trails.

FM
    mtbr member
    agreed midtown is super fun!

Tokul gets blown out in the summer just like higher elevation trails get snow in the winter. Just ride someplace else until seasonal conditions improve, as they do...

mtbr member
    Midtown is definitely one of the best trails around, I can't imagine how much fun it would be at night.
    Tarekith.com

'12 RM Slayer70, i9 Torch, Flow EX, XT Brakes, 5050 s3.

mtbr member
    Midtown is a blast.

Bob doesnt like it because he doesn't have a dropper post.

Justin Vander Pol
    Bob, you're the first person I've heard of who doesn't like Midtown. That's OK, Golden Spike is nearby, you can do laps on that while your friends session Midtown. Win-win.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I knew I shouldn't have said anything for all the in-coming flak. No worries....

mtbr member
    With all the use and "skid" fun people are having, I hope the trail is maintained or it won't be more than a drainage rut before long.

mtbr member
    It seems like for a trail that steep, a rock or concrete block base is required for long term sustainability. Put them right where the worst skid points are...armor it up. Similar to some high traffic spots at Duthie. I haven't been to North Shore yet but the pics/vids seem to show a lot of this work.

Maybe after the clear cut??

Midtown rules!

Just roll it......
    When that area is clearcut next winter, I suspect routing will likely change due to the potential of the topography. I'll be curious to see if the equestrians rebuild their trails though....what are the odds on that?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Or because it's exposed to more wind and sun?

Kinda think it's funny that this thread morphed into another subject. Who cares what I think? To each their own, right? Reminds me that I need to work some on the exit of FT3K.

Yeah, they don't do squat out there anywhere. Fun listening to the equestrian walking his horse up FT3K last week and complaining about the bikers "ruining" the horse trail in that gully. Which we know wasn't there at all to begin with. Need to check with Juice and rough about a possible WP on Safety too. Been a while since I last cut and filled. It needs some love.

mtbr member
    Had a nice spin out there today. Hero dirt all around. Safety First was actually in surprisingly good shape...very few puddles...just needs a raking or blow. Spike on the other hand...

EMBA Member
    I'm not sure I've got this right. Please advise. Safety First ends when it hits the road. Across the road is the start of Upper Gun Range. Instead of across the road, go left maybe 100 yards and there is a right into the woods which is Bandwagon? That trail (Bandwagon?) joins Upper Gunrange part way down. Out Upper Gunrange onto another road and maybe 20 yards on the left is Dodgeball? Go through Dodgeball and straight across the road is the start of Lower Gunrange? I went down Lower Gunrange Monday evening to where the trees start, and saw a new looking keep out/no trespassing sign and several small branches spread out across the trail. I turned back, but is this open? From the map I have, it looks like from the bottom of Lower Gunrange, you'd either ride the road back up or grind your way back up Lower Gunrange. Thanks.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Yes and no. Bandwagon only goes down the hill about halfway to an old spur road and pops out on the main road above the GR/DB road spur. (roughly at the top of the rock pile they didn't log.) Upper GR is the short section directly across from the exit of SF. It spilts (originally to go to a nice valley viewing point on the right...) Then comes back together to enter the clear cut and end at the top of the spur road. Dodgeball is about 100 feet down the road and meanders through the clear cut back to the spur road. There, lower Gun Range continues down to the chain link fence. It's technically closed but sees obvious useage still. Hope that helps.

mtbr member
    Left after Safety First, left at 3-way road intersection, immediate right on to Bandwagon trail.

Rider
    does anyone have an updated map or GPS file of all the East Trails?

mtbr member
    You can find a ton of files on Strava if you are looking for fairly accurate GPS routes.

mtbr member
    Trails are drying up nicely after just a couple days of sun. Was out there this morning, lower midtown, Crazy Ivan, and KGB are all perfect right now. KGB is nice and clear too, since people were asking about that a couple weeks back. First time hitting that trail too, talk about fun with all those drops.

Upper midtown was a muddy mess still, so I skipped that part.

Are dodgeball and safety first over by FT3k, or at least in that general area? I didn't realize there were more trails there....
    Tarekith.com

Moist and Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarekith View Post
    Are dodgeball and safety first over by FT3k, or at least in that general area? I didn't realize there were more trails there....
    Yes, if you go past where the big rock used to be (the top of FT3K and LF, amongst others), you would then ride past the road that heads down the hill (where FT3K originally started from). There will be one more clearcut on your right (where Tetherball used to be), and then a clearing/trail on your right, which will lead you back to Safety First. After you exit SF, you would then take a left on the road and ride down a bit until the road splits back to the left (heading uphill). On the RIGHT, you'll see a trail with a little rock/stump jump. Follow that, and you'll head down the treeline into a clearcut. At the end of that first section, it'll dump out onto a road. Just off to the left, you'll find a trail that heads uphill. That is Dodgeball. It weaves through the clearcut and dumps out on the road that you first hit (so you can loop it, if you want). After dumping out there, you can take GR down the hill to the fence (waste of altitude), or you can ride around the rockpile (which was never clearcut) and find Bandwagon hiding in the trees directly to the North of it. The other entrance to Bandwagon is just where SF dumps out and the road splits to the left. If you look carefully, there is a trail right at the corner, heading straight back into the woods. It's a fun little trail.

mtbr member
    Thanks, hoping I can get back over there tomorrow and hunt around that area.
    Tarekith.com

Moist and Delicious
    Thanks, hoping I can get back over there tomorrow and hunt around that area.
    snoqualmie - Google Maps

If you zoom in, you get better detail. You can see FT3K off to the left of this. Go towards the right, and you can see a trail that runs down the treeline, then darts into the woods. That's Safety First. Then, the trail weaves through woods, and hits the road. If you go to the next clearcut (East of there), you can see Dodgeball out in the middle of the clearcut. It's a cool overhead shot.

After riding that, take the road back around the rockpile, where the trees still are in that clearcut, and (on the map you can see a "road" directly north) take Bandwagon North. It's not easy to find, so if you have to do the very short hill climb, do that, and Bandwagon starts right at the corner where the road turns to the right (or going straight ahead puts you at the bottom of SF).

Enjoy.
    Last edited by nasai; 04-16-2013 at 08:53 PM. Reason: better map

Moist and Delicious
    Here's the Google overhead of Dodgeball.

snoqualmie - Google Maps

mtbr member
    Thanks, that helps a lot!
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    If it's anything like west was this afternoon, it's good... Good enough to be back out there tomorrow.

Will be interested to see what the 'kith thinks of a little XC influence at East.

Moist and Delicious
    Thanks, that helps a lot!
    No prob.

mtbr member
    Oh wait, these are XC trails? Hmmm, maybe tomorrow is a Galby day afterall...

Looking forward to knowing the rest of the trails around East, then I plan to start tackling everything over on West. If anything, having to pay to ride there now has me more motivated to learn all the trails, so I guess that's a good thing.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Hehehe. The "someday" plan is to have a whole loop in the chunk of woods that Bandwagon is in. And, something through the rock pile across the road. (Uncut section near Dodgeball in the google view. Pretty cool rock pile in there.) West is getting better by the week and serious reapir on GS across the back will be starting soon too. Adding both East and west across the back makes for a big day.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    As an aside, Google maps picked up close-in aerial views of the Tokul East clear cuts already. I half expected to see that the clear cuts in Tokul West were also picked up as well, along with views of folks riding.

mtbr member
    Interesting that the cleacuts only show up when you zoom in more though.
    Tarekith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Rode over to look at the rock pile on Sunday... Holy Schist! I'm not much for shovel work but my inner (aging) trials demon would definitely contribute to building something through that. Anyone up for marking a route?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wipp View Post
    Rode over to look at the rock pile on Sunday... Holy Schist! I'm not much for shovel work but my inner (aging) trials demon would definitely contribute to building something through that. Anyone up for marking a route?
    I'm sure we could put something together. Some of the Dirt Corps folks have noted interest. nasai was working on somehting in there and his tool stash got pilfered a year or so ago... But, yeah, it would be really cool to see something in there.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wipp View Post
    Definitely could be a cool zone -- just don't wake up the bears when you wander around up there.

Also, please throw juice a PM heads-up before doing any work. He's the "official" liaison with Hancock for any trailwork. It ain't the wild west out there anymore...

Moist and Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post
    Definitely could be a cool zone -- just don't wake up the bears when you wander around up there.

Also, please throw juice a PM heads-up before doing any work. He's the "official" liaison with Hancock for any trailwork. It ain't the wild west out there anymore...
    I'm not doing anything in there (almost 2 years now!), but I did flag in a line that I really dug. I had started a trail up there on top (I guarantee you'd see it if you went in there) and had hemmed in some cool little bits, but my tools got taken. I was amazed that someone would have gone up there (where there was NOTHING visible, even hidden in the trees) and snagged my gear. Kind of broke my back on that one. Then Hancock came in, and I haven't had the heart to jump back in.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Not to sure about sleeping bears... joking or not?

if the bears are too big, I'd be willing to head up with someone slower and fatter than me to check out the previously marked trail and bring some tools for a new stash.

Quote Originally Posted by GeePhroh View Post

Last edited by wipp; 04-17-2013 at 09:56 PM.

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hlcwannabe View Post
    Really? You have to talk to this PM person to liase with Hancock? Gosh, if that was the case then I think Midtown wouldn't have been built, would it?
    Welcome back, darthjamo! Gosh, I like your new fake name.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast