Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Moist and Delicious

Tokul East lower area (with pics)

Well, I'd heard about it, but had to see for myself.

Looking at the entry I took for the last 9 years, to climb up into that fun "lower" warmup:

What greets you at the top:

Further carnage where that "impossible rooty climb" was....now a "road."

Walking the area:

I know life goes on, and I've enjoyed this area greatly, especially since it's been my backyard for the last 9 years, but this truly does sadden me. I know it's not my property, and I have wonderful memories of this place. This said, I think I'll let it go to my memory banks as good times past. I don't really want to ride here anymore.
    Last edited by nasai; 02-12-2012 at 04:55 PM. Reason: added title
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

mtbr member
    Did you pay your $75 to go walk that area?

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I didn't know you were still riding at all...

Moist and Delicious
    @Jim... of course. I never break any laws. Ever.

@Borneo... lately, no. I have been so busy developing my business that I've left little time for play, but after our walk today, my wife has convinced me to be a better "body care" guy... In other words, I'll get out there. Just not at Tokul any time soon. Probably Tolt or PV.
    Today I will gladly share my experience and advice, for there are no sweeter words than "I told you so."

mtbr member
    Sad Day....But, I guess like all trails, it was just a matter of time.

I didn't do it
    Quote Originally Posted by nasai View Post
    I have been so busy developing my business that I've left little time for play, but after our walk today, my wife has convinced me to be a better "body care" guy... In other words, I'll get out there. Just not at Tokul any time soon. Probably Tolt or PV.
    You might want to give Henry's Ridge a try. It might be a little out of your way but great things have been going on over there lately.

But ya, the Tokul situation kinda sucks.

Moist and Delicious
    I dig Henry's ridge. Last time I was there, it was a little small, so I'll have to check it out again. Honestly, it's been forever since I've hit anything in Black Diamond. Tis the season...

I got the velcros
    Sep 2010
    Jesus, so that's what $75 gets you.

The last ride I did at Tokul in December I considered a sort of farewell ride until/if Evergreen can make some headway with Handcock.
    But at that point they were already logging the crap out of the sections around the SVT and up under the power lines...dodging logging trucks on the way up to Flowtron.

Its just too bad.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    To be clear, the portion logged most recently along the SVT along the lower part of Tokul East is Weyerhauser land, not Hancock and not part of the "requiring a $75 pass" acreage. It may be the same logging crew/company, but it is not Hancock land.

Hancock is/was logging up north of Tokul West (north of Upper Outback/Mousetrap/Bon Bon) and preparing for it in many other places. I don' t know if they are doing any logging yet elsewhere, but I didn't see any new stuff in Tokul West last week.

Just roll it......
    FWIW, the zones that have been logged on Galby this year have almost all gotten better. Shhh....don't tell anyone. Granted, clearing through recently harvested zones sucks and, yeah, we get massive turnouts to re-open trails. However, we've used the logging as an excuse to re-route sections that needed it and those efforts have bettered the trail network. The other way to look at it is once the trails are cleared/riding again, you've got a long window of harvest inactivity.

Harvesting is just the realities of building on a tree farm, IMO....but I'm a half-full kind of guy.

EB

mtbr member
    May 2004
    What EB said.

I get tired of the whole, "well, that sucks, I'll never ride there again" rhetoric. When you're around long enough you see this is just an ebb and flow. And what is being logged out there is such a small portion of the whole that to me, though sucky, just really doesn't bug me that much... Certainly not enough to just write it all off.

Kind of like writing off Duthie just because a couple trails are closed....

i'm schralping yer thread
    Jan 2004
    From what I've heard, the hop-powered trail-gnomes who maintain TKE are still committed. There's a significant Minefield to navigate, however...

Moist and Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by ebxtreme View Post
    FWIW, the zones that have been logged on Galby this year have almost all gotten better. Shhh....don't tell anyone. Granted, clearing through recently harvested zones sucks and, yeah, we get massive turnouts to re-open trails. However, we've used the logging as an excuse to re-route sections that needed it and those efforts have bettered the trail network. The other way to look at it is once the trails are cleared/riding again, you've got a long window of harvest inactivity.

Harvesting is just the realities of building on a tree farm, IMO....but I'm a half-full kind of guy.

EB
    EB, as you well know given my attention to the Gunrange area, I believe in that too. My concern is the change of tone with the "silent allowance" of trail access, where it's not as it was now. Of course, in reality, I do not mind a fee for guaranteed access. I would hate to put hours upon hours in (as many do!) and find the trails I have built or helped on are simply inaccessible now. I guess my hope is that I'd leave a trail legacy. I know nothing lasts forever, but I was secretly hoping it could.

I got the velcros
    Sep 2010
    The woods around trails have been logged on and off for years and that's not in any way breaking news, its the pass that most people I've talked to have issues with.

But now you have to pay and rebuild the trails.

Feel like you're getting what you're paying for?

Moist and Delicious
    I guess that's my point as well. I know that Galby isn't a guarantee either, but somehow it feels more secure to put so much effort in. Tokul... not so much anymore.

Johnny Dependable
    Stupid post. Hadn't had my coffee yet.
    Last edited by BigBill; 02-14-2012 at 07:37 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by nasai View Post
    I dig Henry's ridge. Last time I was there, it was a little small, so I'll have to check it out again. Honestly, it's been forever since I've hit anything in Black Diamond. Tis the season...
    There is lot's of fun to be had. Talked with a key trail builder the other day about mileage, and he was saying there is probably around 30 miles now on the East side. Lots of really good energy going on out there, and lots of hope and promise for more in the future.
    .~...|\
    ...~.|.\
    ..~..|..\
    .~...|...\
    ~....|....\
    ...~.|.....\
    ....~|____\
    _____||_________
    .\....FAILBOAT..../

Moist and Delicious
    Sweet. Will get out there again!

mtbr member
    May 2004
    Rode Sunday..........Ivan is cut out. KGB is still unrideable.

Loggers will leave a mess but we can always rebuild.
    2015 Santa Cruz Nomad III

Moto Becane Roady

2012 KTM 250 XC-W

"Trying is the first step towards failure"

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bighitboy View Post
    Rode Sunday..........Ivan is cut out. KGB is still unrideable.

Loggers will leave a mess but we can always rebuild.
    Ivan is gone???

I can't imagine they logged the steeps. That was my 'go to' trail with the dogs due to no horses and few riders. What state is it in exactly?
    Regional Race Manager, Knolly Bikes
    Washington State, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa

Moist and Delicious
    What??? I had no idea they were working that side. Wow.... :

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Hopefully, he meant that the blowdown was "cut out" rather than logged out.

mtbr member
    I think he means that it's clear of blowdown. Pretty sure that the loggers comment was unrelated to CI. I also believe that CI is in an area that can't be logged, but I could be wrong about that.

Moist and Delicious
    Based on the size of trees in there (there is zero old growth), can't isn't a word I'd use regarding CI.

I should be out riding
    Sep 2004
    There is zero old growth in pretty much all of the areas we ride at Tokul. It's all 2nd and 3rd growth.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast